Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 287 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on March 31, 2009
I actually got my copy a couple of days before it was supposed to be released from a video game store. It's mostly cardio boxing, although there are other exercises including Punch Dog, reverse sit-ups, back strengthening and squats that utilize the balance board. There are 4 other exercises that have to be unlocked as you progress through the game. (I just unlocked Jump Rope today, on my 4th day.) Gold points are earned to be spent in the Shop on gear, and additional items go on sale as you go.

After initial "registration", you choose your trainer, either Alex or Nina. Other trainers are unlocked as you progress. (I just unlocked Brenda.) Each day, you have a choice of doing a prepared workout or an ala carte workout. After the prepared workout, you get to leave a punch stamp on the calendar, indicating that you've completed that day's workout. There are Boxing Examinations you can take to test yourself.

As of yet, I haven't noticed the scale feature and I had to enter my weight manually when I first set up my profile. All in all, it's a great workout- more interesting and interactive than Wii Fit (which I still love). I was sweating after about 5 minutes, and I'm STILL sore from my first workout! There's less jumping and hopping around than My Fitness Coach, which, with my bad knees, is a big plus. I look forward to unlocking more of the features of this game!

Update: 4/12/09- I've unlocked a couple of the "Special" workouts in the Shape Boxing, but only done Dodging, which is really tricky because you have to throw punches at the same time! I've unlocked all the locked excercises in Exercise and they are "Roadwork" (running & boxing a bear that crosses your path), "Sandbag" (punching 10 sandbangs in the allotted 3 minutes), "Log Chopping" (using the remote to saw through a log in 3 minutes), and "Jump Rope". I've unlocked another trainer named Bob, who looks like the BIGGEST guy on Muscle Beach, and a two new outfits for the trainer I've chosen (Brenda), as well as a few new items that were given to me for reaching a X amount of punches. I'm still loving this game and have lost about 4 lbs since I've been playing it (along w/Weight Watchers). It's not hard on my bad knees and I feel the burn where I should.
44 comments| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2009
I review Wii games on YouTube. If you want to see more of my reviews go to youtube.com/wiiviewr.
2121 comments| 604 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2009
I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and have cross-trained in boxing, Muay Thai, and other martial arts. Since getting married and having two kids, I have had little time to do anything even closely related to exercise, much less martial arts. From an exercise as well as a martial arts training perspective, this game is incredibly fun and effective, particularly for those who have limited time and resources.

If you are trained in the proper form for throwing the various punches used in this game, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout is a great way to maintain and practice proper form, get a great workout at home, and have fun.

While a Wii controller can be "fooled" by using motions similar to throwing a punch, this game can be an incredible full-body workout if the punches are thrown correctly and you actually duck and weave. For those who are serious, focus on the following two items:

(1) Not hyperextending your elbow/arm when throwing a punch. Always keep a slight bend in your elbow.

(2) Picturing your punch - particularly those thrown from your "reverse" (back) hand - as a full-body motion. Power in your punch does not come simply from your arms, but from your legs, your hips/waist, torso, AND arms. All of these areas should move in one fluid motion.

To illustrate, try this: with your right leg back, put your right elbow on your waist with your fist perpindicular (90 degrees) from your body. Now twist your right hip from the back to the front of your body without moving your arm. That "punch" is power developed from your hips alone! Add that to power from the actual "punching" motion of your arm and your legs, and you have more power than from the punching motion alone. Plus, you are using (and exercising) your full body in the process.

Enjoy your workout! This is a fantastic game and training tool.
on April 9, 2009
I'm in no way a fitness fanatic. In fact, until recently the most exercise I got was walking to the fridge. I'm 6'4" and 200-205 pounds so I'm by no means overweight.

That being said, this is the first time in my life that I actually look forward to working out. And this program is the reason. We got a Wii Fit back in January and it got me off of the couch but after a few weeks, the novelty and "cuteness" wore off and it became kiddy, boring and all around not challenging. This motivated me to start looking for something else. I wasn't sure about this program until I read a few reviews that flat out said what it really is: Shape Boxing. The Wii Fit boxing was really enjoyable but far too slow. This program is exactly what I was looking for.

The graphics are a little 90's-ish but so what? So is the music. Again, so what? If I wanted a great multimedia experience, I'd go play my Xbox or the computer.

The Wii Fit balance board is only used in the "exercises" (squats, pushups, etc) but the game says "compatible" not "designed for" the balance board. If you are looking for a balance game, this is not it.

The "dual-controller" mode is excellent. Not only do you have the same grip in each hand, it's also WAY more responsive than a controller + nunchuk.

The workouts are fast paced but not so long that a beginner will drop dead from a heart attack. The trainer will ask you each day if you want a planned workout or "a-la-carte" where you pick and choose your activities. The planned workouts get progressively harder as you work your way through them and you unlock new trainers, songs, clothing, workouts and exercises as your total punch count increases.

This program is a fine addition to any fitness regimen or a great way to get started on one.

To wrap things up, if you're looking for hard-core cardio, go for a run. If you're looking for a balance game, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a great workout in less than a half an hour, this is the program for you. No balance board needed and a steal for under $30.
on December 15, 2009
My brother introduced me this game in May 25, 2009 1:39PM, I was weight 230lb. Tried the basic mode for about 30 mins, half of my shirt got wet and I had trouble breathing. Since then I spent average 1 hour on the game, 4 days a week. In August 12, 2009 I weighted 198lb. The advance mode burns my fat pretty well, the game completely hooked me up. It remembers on the date you play, how long you play and how many calories you burned, what a way to keep you playing it. You'll earn points + coins after each game, you can use those coins to buy cloths, the female instructor will dress less if you keep her long as your instructor. For $20, a fun way to lose weight.

P.S. I cancelled my real life golds gym membership in May 28, 2009.
this game rocks! as a 40 year old plus man who loves the Wii Fit boxing, I must say this is a must have. I own a PS3 and play Madden online while biking on a stationary bike, but bought the Wii just for the purpose of the Wii Fit. I must warn you though, I ordered an additional Wii remote because the nunchuck attachment wire sometimes hits me in my chest and face. the punching combinations are much more complex than the Wii Fit step boxing. the graphics seem to blow away the Wii Fit games also. I can finally justify why I bought the 480p component cables. :-) I love boxing in the room with the wooden floor with a nightly cityscape in the background (gym), although the other 2 scenes are also highly detailed. I also like the fact that I can choose a different song instead of having to listen to the same tune from the Wii Fit step boxing. I pretty much have been scoring 1100+ on the Wii Fit step boxing, and so far have been doing quite well with the Gold's Gym version. overall, this makes my Wii an overall great purchase. the only downside to this game is that you may want to order another controller, and that is another $35.:-(
on April 3, 2009
I absolutely love this game!! The boxing part of this game (which is the main exercise) is absolutely amazing.. Give me a cross over punch! duck, move those feet! I loved the boxing that came with Wii sports and this is great if not better. I just unlocked the jumprope exercise routine and hope that it is just as fun as the boxing part.

My word of advise for those people who haven't bought the game and are thinking about buying this game is to ask yourself if you like boxing games? If you answered yes than definately get this game, but if boxing is not your forte DON't buy this game as this workout game is mainly centered around boxing.
on November 23, 2013
I started playing this game in 2011 because I was 40 pounds overweight and hated the idea of going to a gym or running. I immediately fell in love with it because it is fun and is a really good workout ... by the end of my first workout, I was dripping in sweat but had a huge smile on my face. I lost 50 pounds in 9 months by playing this game every other day and doing some strength training (i.e. leg lifts and girly push-ups) the days in between. Even though I prefer freestyle dancing as my cardio routine now, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout kick-started a healthier lifestyle for me and I still go back to occasionally. I am 30 years old and am in the best shape of my life. I look better and feel better than I have in years. I am eternally grateful that I picked up a copy of this game. It really is a very good cardio workout and can actually help you learn proper boxing techniques. The only negative thing I can say about this game is that the music is borderline annoying, I highly recommend listening to your own music while playing.
on August 13, 2014
I LOVE this. It is challenging and interesting. It has many options and settings so you can really get a good workout no matter what fitness level you're at. Of course, like any fitness workout, you get out what you put in. Keep good bounce in your rhythm, punch strong and keep your abs tight. Fun features are the music selection and shopping. I also love unlocking new things. This game is so fun I don't even notice how hard I'm working until I have to wipe sweat off my face !!
Update: Now that I have had this game a little over two months and have used it nearly every day, I thought I would add an update. I am still loving this game !! I use it in addition to kickboxing and good old walking with intermittent jogging. It has accelerated my weight loss (I am dieting also) quite a bit.
It does have a couple annoying glitches, but some might be due to my set up. One is that upper cuts very often don't register. This is a small annoyance for me as I don't do this game for anything other than exercise. Still, it is a little disappointing when you get a missed punch. Sometimes, ducking and weaving doesn't register, but I think that it might be because I have a small area to work in and no good place to put the bar thing. A couple of times, the little punch marker doesn't show up on my calender to mark my workout (again, a small annoyance). The last glitch doesn't bother me, but might bother some. Even though the description states you can weigh in using the balance board, there is no way to do this on the game. I don't mind since I don't think the balance board is all that accurate anyways. I weigh in once a week on my scale and just update the game.
All in all, the good FAR outweighs the bad and I am still totally loving this game. It does not feel like a workout - it feels like fun. Still giving it 5 stars, enthusiastically !!
on February 6, 2011
I bought this through amazon after being bored to tears with my Wii Fit Plus. I am not understanding why some say this routine doesn't burn enough calories?

Here's my experience:

I've been using it for 2 weeks straight and I do it every day. Yes it's mainly boxing. That aside, it's still a heart pounding sweat inducing workout once you get past the beginner stage. It counts your punches and an approximation of how many calories you've burned. With each 500 punches you throw you unlock something new.

In 2 weeks I have only dropped 4lbs BUT I have lost 6 inches in my waist. How freaking cool is that? (I do 1200-2000 "punches" daily)

Yes, IT IS BOXING MOVES but those moves work your legs, waist, arms, and shoulders. You feel the burn from head to toe and drip with sweat by the end.

Here's the key. To all those who say it does not burn enough calories. Maybe you're not putting enough effort into it? I do the foot work, follow the rhythm, follow through with my punches, rotate my hips when doing hooks, and do the full movements while ducking. Make sure you're always in the right position from the height of your arms to your stance.

As of today I have reached over 11,000 punches which has now unlocked the training feature under the exercise tabs. This gives you more freedom to work out at your own pace.

Manually you must enter your height and weight. To those who complain that it does not automatically weigh you like Wii Fit, COME ON REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY? If you're doing this to lose weight you should be weighing yourself independently the same time each day on your bathroom scale. So what if you have to go into a different tab and click the arrow DOWN once or twice. If that is a deal breaker to you than you're not serious about dropping inches and losing weight.

You get to chose a prepared workout or ala cart. I suggest the prepared workout after you've completed the beginners section and passed at least 1 of the "exams".

Bottom line. I never get bored, they never give me the same prepared workout twice, and it keeps me motivated to keep going and do better.