Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 345 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 526 reviews
If you enjoy cardio boxing and want to work up a sweat, then this Wii game is for you. After doing the basic lessons and moving on to the regular ones for only a couple of hours my arms and shoulders feel like I can't lift them anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll be sore tomorrow morning.

This is basically a cardio boxing game. The rest of the exercises are short games and workouts that are unlocked as you progress through boxing exercises. It looks like there are 6 regular ones and 4 that use the balance board. This is the extent of the balance board usage. None of the boxing exercises use the balance board. This is a little disappointing, but since you can't jump on the balance board it would be a little difficult to do the boxing footwork which is bouncy, without damaging the board. Still, I thought the description of the game was a little misleading since the use of the balance board is limited to leg raises, push ups and a couple exercises that are already included with the Wii Fit.

Still, I think this is a good addition to my Wii Exercise list because it's engaging and holds my interest and I like games where I can build up the score and compete against my past scores. Here are a list of the pros and cons that I've discovered so far:

Pros:
Choice of music. There are several different music choices that you can preview and play during your workouts.

Choice of settings. You can choose a gym, forest or seaside setting.

Lots of movement and easy to understand instructions.

You acquire points which you can use to buy things at the gym store, like different outfits.

You can pick your trainer (male or female) and there are several different training levels so you can play according to your abilities at a pace that is good for you.

Great response time on the controls and great sounds. "Pow! Crunch! Wham!" The movements and clicks of the Wiimote register right on. You can also click through scenery pans and other peripheral scenes to speed the game. (Thank you, UBI Soft!)

Cons:
The graphics are a little ragged on an HD TV with component cables and 480p settings. Wii HD Link Component Cable
They are also a little simplistic compared to other Wii games, not bad, just simplistic.

The balance board is used in only 4 of the side workouts, not in the main cardio boxing.

All in all, I still think it's a good addition to my Wii workout collection and it's one that's fun enough that it'll get used often. It's good arm and shoulder exercise that will compliment my We Cheer Wii game and a good way to work up a sweat without getting bored.
22 comments| 344 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2013
I got this after years of using my Wii Fit Plus and finally deciding to expand my exercise video game collection to two! This is an excellent, excellent game for those who don't want a drill sergeant or a motivational speaker when it comes to instruction. This is great for anyone who likes exercising in the privacy of their own home and at their own pace. This is one of my favorite, most used purchases from Amazon in a long time. At this price, you can't beat the ease of use and the actual workout you're gonna get from this little disc. It's challenging and, after playing it for forty minutes the first day (not on purpose- I was just having so much fun, I didn't realize how much time had passed!) my arms and back were so sore. And I exercise regularly! This is just such a great whole body workout that I could really feel it and that was super satisfying. Definitely happy and I was wary of getting anything branded by a gym because I didn't want it to be full of gym rat avatars "training" me...this is not a virtual personal trainer. Sure, you pick someone to act as your mirror for all the actions but it's nothing obnoxious, just basic "left," "right," four more," etc. I'm even considering more Gold's Gym games because this one is so well-suited to my style. Worth every penny (and not a ton of those at that!)
on March 31, 2009
I actually got my copy a couple of days before it was supposed to be released from a video game store. It's mostly cardio boxing, although there are other exercises including Punch Dog, reverse sit-ups, back strengthening and squats that utilize the balance board. There are 4 other exercises that have to be unlocked as you progress through the game. (I just unlocked Jump Rope today, on my 4th day.) Gold points are earned to be spent in the Shop on gear, and additional items go on sale as you go.

After initial "registration", you choose your trainer, either Alex or Nina. Other trainers are unlocked as you progress. (I just unlocked Brenda.) Each day, you have a choice of doing a prepared workout or an ala carte workout. After the prepared workout, you get to leave a punch stamp on the calendar, indicating that you've completed that day's workout. There are Boxing Examinations you can take to test yourself.

As of yet, I haven't noticed the scale feature and I had to enter my weight manually when I first set up my profile. All in all, it's a great workout- more interesting and interactive than Wii Fit (which I still love). I was sweating after about 5 minutes, and I'm STILL sore from my first workout! There's less jumping and hopping around than My Fitness Coach, which, with my bad knees, is a big plus. I look forward to unlocking more of the features of this game!

Update: 4/12/09- I've unlocked a couple of the "Special" workouts in the Shape Boxing, but only done Dodging, which is really tricky because you have to throw punches at the same time! I've unlocked all the locked excercises in Exercise and they are "Roadwork" (running & boxing a bear that crosses your path), "Sandbag" (punching 10 sandbangs in the allotted 3 minutes), "Log Chopping" (using the remote to saw through a log in 3 minutes), and "Jump Rope". I've unlocked another trainer named Bob, who looks like the BIGGEST guy on Muscle Beach, and a two new outfits for the trainer I've chosen (Brenda), as well as a few new items that were given to me for reaching a X amount of punches. I'm still loving this game and have lost about 4 lbs since I've been playing it (along w/Weight Watchers). It's not hard on my bad knees and I feel the burn where I should.
33 comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2014
I LOVE this. It is challenging and interesting. It has many options and settings so you can really get a good workout no matter what fitness level you're at. Of course, like any fitness workout, you get out what you put in. Keep good bounce in your rhythm, punch strong and keep your abs tight. Fun features are the music selection and shopping. I also love unlocking new things. This game is so fun I don't even notice how hard I'm working until I have to wipe sweat off my face !!
Update: Now that I have had this game a little over two months and have used it nearly every day, I thought I would add an update. I am still loving this game !! I use it in addition to kickboxing and good old walking with intermittent jogging. It has accelerated my weight loss (I am dieting also) quite a bit.
It does have a couple annoying glitches, but some might be due to my set up. One is that upper cuts very often don't register. This is a small annoyance for me as I don't do this game for anything other than exercise. Still, it is a little disappointing when you get a missed punch. Sometimes, ducking and weaving doesn't register, but I think that it might be because I have a small area to work in and no good place to put the bar thing. A couple of times, the little punch marker doesn't show up on my calender to mark my workout (again, a small annoyance). The last glitch doesn't bother me, but might bother some. Even though the description states you can weigh in using the balance board, there is no way to do this on the game. I don't mind since I don't think the balance board is all that accurate anyways. I weigh in once a week on my scale and just update the game.
All in all, the good FAR outweighs the bad and I am still totally loving this game. It does not feel like a workout - it feels like fun. Still giving it 5 stars, enthusiastically !!
on February 6, 2011
I bought this through amazon after being bored to tears with my Wii Fit Plus. I am not understanding why some say this routine doesn't burn enough calories?

Here's my experience:

I've been using it for 2 weeks straight and I do it every day. Yes it's mainly boxing. That aside, it's still a heart pounding sweat inducing workout once you get past the beginner stage. It counts your punches and an approximation of how many calories you've burned. With each 500 punches you throw you unlock something new.

In 2 weeks I have only dropped 4lbs BUT I have lost 6 inches in my waist. How freaking cool is that? (I do 1200-2000 "punches" daily)

Yes, IT IS BOXING MOVES but those moves work your legs, waist, arms, and shoulders. You feel the burn from head to toe and drip with sweat by the end.

Here's the key. To all those who say it does not burn enough calories. Maybe you're not putting enough effort into it? I do the foot work, follow the rhythm, follow through with my punches, rotate my hips when doing hooks, and do the full movements while ducking. Make sure you're always in the right position from the height of your arms to your stance.

As of today I have reached over 11,000 punches which has now unlocked the training feature under the exercise tabs. This gives you more freedom to work out at your own pace.

Manually you must enter your height and weight. To those who complain that it does not automatically weigh you like Wii Fit, COME ON REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY? If you're doing this to lose weight you should be weighing yourself independently the same time each day on your bathroom scale. So what if you have to go into a different tab and click the arrow DOWN once or twice. If that is a deal breaker to you than you're not serious about dropping inches and losing weight.

You get to chose a prepared workout or ala cart. I suggest the prepared workout after you've completed the beginners section and passed at least 1 of the "exams".

Bottom line. I never get bored, they never give me the same prepared workout twice, and it keeps me motivated to keep going and do better.
on April 16, 2016
I was looking for a game to the original Wii to get some exercise in with. This one sounded interesting so I purchased it to give it a try. I lvoe it. It allows me to get both arm and leg movements in while doing some basic air boxing with myself. I look funny doing this but it is relaxing, fun, and gives my body a burn. I am sweating and sometimes must stop a minute and drink some water. It is harder then it looks and really does give you a good workout.

I am, however, not a person who works out daily or regularly. This game gives me motivation to workout more. You earn enough tokens so that you can buy new clothes, shoes, etc to improve your little pretend me player you use in the game. That is fun as well and makes you want to do just a little more to get your new outfit.

I really love this game and will continue to play.
on May 13, 2011
I bought this game mainly to help relieve stress. My husband is in the military and we've been living in Europe for the past 3 years. He is currently deployed to Iraq, and let me just say that this game has helped me let out A LOT of pent up stress and frustration due to deployments and life overseas! Real boxing is not an option for me since I have bad wrists, so this game has been an excellent substitute, and it feels just like the real thing. I can punch away but have no impact on my wrists. I get all my steam out, I get a great workout and I have fun doing it! The music is perfect and there's a good assortment to choose from. My favorite song is "Eye of the Tiger". It's a great motivator song, as are most of the songs. The music has no words, which is helpful while trying to listen to your trainer. You move along with the beat and try to throw punches as your trainer tells you. I also like how they teach you actual moves and that you use your whole body, not just your arms. You rock back and forth slightly just as a real trainer would teach you; and you twist, duck and swing side to side when it's called for.

I have tried other boxing games on the Wii, but they were just "games" and they didn't provide a great work out. This game really gets you sweating after 10-15 minutes. I haven't mastered the jump rope yet as I cant seem to figure out how it works. But that's fine with me since I bought this game mainly for the boxing. The controls seem accurate for the most part, but I do have a little bit of an issue with the Sandbag punching. It doesn't seem quite as accurate for some reason, even with new batters in my remote. This doesn't bother me much either since it's not the main part of the exercise.

I love that I can use two remotes, instead of a nunchuck. I don't have to worry about the wire in the middle. I did try the nunchuck as well, however, and it seemed just as accurate.

For those of you thinking of buying some boxing gloves with this, I might suggest not too. I purchased the boxing gloves by CTA because they seemed to get good reviews and I figured it would enhance the effect of boxing. They were a bit annoying, and I had to make a tight fist on the right hand to keep the sensor showing through the plastic part. It can put a little strain on the hands and wrists after a while, and it also makes your hands hot and sweaty; overall they just become a nuisance. You also have to use the nunchuck with them, which means the annoying wire is drooping down between both gloves. I finally tried it without the gloves and it was SOOO much better. Your hands are free, the sensor is free and it's a whole lot easier. It doesn't lessen the effect of boxing at all. In fact, your trainer doesn't even wear boxing gloves!

I've had this game for about 3 weeks now, and overall I give it a 5 star rating because it meets my needs perfectly. I can relieve stress and get a great work out....and have fun while doing it. I feel better throughout the day when I start my day off with a great work out like this. And maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to survive this deployment now!!
on April 13, 2016
I guess me no read good, because I didn't realize this game is pretty much only boxing-related workouts. It's a good thing I didn't know that when I bought it, because I probably wouldn't have bought it and I'm glad I did. I don't use it terribly often, but I do enjoy it. It takes a while to move through the lessons and unlock features. So far I'm mostly just dodging punches thrown at me by a robot, and practicing punches. Thus far I wouldn't call it a killer workout, but it is fun and I like trying new things.
on October 22, 2014
Absolutely LOVE this game! I got it yesterday, popped it in, quickly setup my profile and began playing.
It started out with some lessons on how to do the different punches, then I moved on to some actual Beginner Challenges.
It was so much fun! I reall tried to put my whole body into it, and did the challenges for 30 minutes. I wore my heart rate monitor and burned 309 calories! (Today, my arms are SORE, especially my triceps. Who would've thought?!)

As for the game itself, I was impressed with the graphics. Considering it is Wii and not HD I was a little skeptical, but it isn't bad.
I personally do not like the music choices at all, they are all cheesy and get to be somewhat annoying.

I haven't gotten too far into the game yet, but I'm excited to continue playing and I will DEFINITELY use this as part of a workout routine!
on January 20, 2011
I agree with other reviewers in that the title is misleading and would be more appropriately title Gold's Gym Boxing Workout. That being said I like the setup of this workout in that it takes you through all of the different punches and movements while giving you pointers throughout. I also like that you have the option to use 2 wii controllers or 1 wii controller and a nunchuck and find that it accurately registers my movements, including when my timing is off. You have the option to customize your avator as well as choose between a male and female trainer. You earn points that can be used to 'purchase' new gear at the store so you can change the clothing, shoes, and gloves of your avator. You can customize the background music and scenery for many of the sets. I did find the graphics to be a little on the weak side but not enough to deter me from using the workout. Overall I enjoy using the workout and defintely feel like I am buring calories and it makes good use of my time. I would recommend it for beginner to intermediate exercisers who want to learn some solid boxing moves while working out.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.