|Print List Price:||$16.99|
Save $6.00 (35%)
Price set by seller.
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel (P.S.) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 657 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible book with Whispersync for Voice. Add the Audible book for a reduced price of $12.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Initially I hesitated to get involved in this book, thinking, "Oh no, another golem story." My expectation was of a scary, out-of-control golem. This is so much more than that. It's long, but so worth it. By the time I got to the end, I didn't want the story to be over.
In the story "The Golem and the Jinni" these two characters meet up in the late 1800's New York. Perhaps the only place they could meet up as the golem is a European Jewish thing and the Jinni is an Arabian, Middle eatern thing. Chava our female golem was created by a rogue kabbalist named Yehudah Shallman at the express request of Mr. Rotfeld. Mr. Rotfeld wanted her to be endowed with certain characteristics so she could become his ideal wife. Of course Golems cannot have children. Mr. Rotfeld packs her in a box and ships her to America. He is warmed not to wake her up before arriving to America. Of course he does not heed this advice and end up dying on the way over.
Boutros Arbeely lives in "Little Syria" on Washington Street. Coffee shop owner Marian Fadal gives him a bronze vase to fix at his metal smith shop. When he rubs it out pop "Ahmad" the Jinni. Arbeely takes him in and makes him partner as they share the work of metal smithing. No one can really know that Ahmad is a Jinni so they say he is a Bedouin from Syria. Ahmad is prone to take long walks at night and meet up with various kinds of people. The golem is also taken to nighttime strolls.
After Avraham Meyer the Rabbi who takes her in passes away the two mythical people meet up on a weekly basis to take walks in the city and share their various secrets and challenges. The friendship can be rocky at times with many ups and downs. The plot is spiced up with a marriage to Michael ,Avrahams nephew. Ice Cream Saleh a former doctor in Syria is able to see Ahmad for who he truly is.
As the relationship progresses the two find out they have a common foe who they must defeat, the Wizard who imprisoned the Jinn in the first place. Yehuda Shallman comes to America for unsavory purposes regarding the golem and takes up in Michaels Hospice. Things edge towards a final showdown with the evil wizard.
Great piece of work for a new author. The book gives great insight into the lifestyle of new immigrants coming to new York during the 1890's. Life was not easy and the author gives us a very vivid picture. The book is also about relationship and individuals from different communities learning to get along with common challenges and how communities used certain strategies to both stick together and cope with the challenge of living in a new land.
Yet what makes it amateurish is that from the get go it is not obvious what the story's objective is .I saw a relationship developing and two very rare individuals learning to adjust but what was the point. It does not become clear until later. Still it was an enjoyable read and I look forward to reading the author's future works.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical > Jewish
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Jewish
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Historical
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Magical Realism
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Middle Eastern
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > United States
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > United States > Jewish American
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Jewish
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Historical