- Hardcover: 440 pages
- Publisher: Diane Pub Co; First Edition edition (June 1, 1992)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0788152084
- ISBN-13: 978-0788152085
- Product Dimensions: 1.8 x 6.5 x 9.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 5 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #8,127,687 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Goliath: The Life of Robert Schuller First Edition Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Top customer reviews
He meets his wife Arvella as she is the organ player at a church, some love letters are shared. When they attend a wedding and she says hi to a guy Schuller gets angry. They get married in 1950 and from there the book skips 5 years to them driving to California where he is going to plant a congregation of the Dutch Reform Church. Unable to secure a place to meet he rents a drive-in theater for $10, atop the snack bar is the biggest pulpit in the world. 46 cars and 16 families. 1700 spaces.
He invites Norman Vincent Peale to preach, 4000 people. Peal says Jesus did not call people sinners but rather the light of the world and that people just need to build-up their self-esteem, and possibilities. Eventually they have 400 at the drive-in and a chapel, faith is thinking about your possibilities. He starts raising $ to build a new place to worship, breaks ground 9-10-58.
At a funeral he says death is like a dream.(?) Each end is anew beginning. He shares how the Lord works some things out, they dedicate the building 11-5-61. In 1969 they erect a Tower of Hope, tallest object in the county. 5000 members. Billy Graham suggests Schuller get his church service on TV, they get on Gene Autry's TV station, Arvella is the producer.
With a Walt Disney quote on his office wall and 'Dreams believing in yourself' and being the the guy with the hose that waters the money tree they name the show 'Hour of Power' in 1970.
By 1975 they are having 3 services with thousands of people and they decide that they need a bigger place. After much effort they begin work on the Crystal Cathedral thinking it will cost 10 million dollars. With the high cost of materials it quickly goes to 15 million. The shape is like the Star of Bethlehem.
At age 13 their daughter Carol has a serious motorcycle accident and they have to return from out of the country and eventually take her back to California.
They have 7 Christmas services, a 747 would fit in the building, seatsalmost 3000, longer than a football field. He gets badgered on Donahue Show. Beverly Sills sings at a $1500 a chair concert to get the whole thing paid off. It can stand 100 mph wind.
He speaks at a farmer's convention in 1982 telling them 'Tuff times don't last, tuff people do. On page 340 he gives 7 secrets. He feels Jimmy Swaggart bad mouths him.
30 pages of pictures and mission statement. He meets Armand Hammer and Hammer gets 'The Hour of Power' into Russia. He takes his daughter to a Bob Hope book signing of Bob Hope's Confessions of a Hooker - Autographed and people as Schuller to sign his autograph.
At the end of his life John Wayne says he accepts Christ as his savior. A Sammy Davis Jr. interview.
At one point Schuller is in a taxi and he asks the drive about the Cathedral when he drives past and the driver says it is a Catholic hospital.
Concludes with Schuller recovering from brain surgery. 20 years after the book was written they lost A Place of Beauty A Joy Forever due to debt incured. Purchased by Catholic church.
I have been an admirer of Dr. Schuller for a long time. His insightful wisdom has helped me in numerous ways to experience a better life than I would otherwise. Reading this book helps you to see the connection that one person's overcoming has a ripple effect on many other lives. Dr. Schuller's victories were victories for those of us who have learned from him. He has been used of God to motivate, inspire, and bless. I pray that I will be such a vessel too.
In this book, appropriately entitled Goliath(David/Goliath?), there are a few pictures:
1. With Armand Hammer, a HUGE financial supporter of the Rothschild(RED-SHEILD) Satanic USSR(150+ MILLION KILLED, 300 MILLION NEVER BORN).
2. With Sammy Davis Jr an ADMITTED PUBLICLY member of the Church of SATAN.
3. his SATANIC Cathedral with Triangles and Pyramids(illuminati you ignorants!). his "Crystal Cathedral" is an ABOMINATION and MONSTROSITY of greed, death, hatred, slavery and worse made to LOOK(Image worship anyone?) like a peaceful wonderful sanctuary. Jesus would have been the first to condemn this Black Magic Temple owned and operated by the Banksters of the NWO(UN=Tower of Babel).
4. Turning a drive-thru into a church, anyone even read about Jesus encounter with the money-lenders(Pharisees=Illuminati Talmudists) in the church? WAKE UP YOU IDIOTS.