Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Bink and Gollie
Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 16, 2009
I bought this book, last Christmas, for a friend and couldn't wait to get a copy for myself this year. I too was surprised by the seemingly abrupt ending. I am writing in response to the review that had nothing good to say about the book. I agree that this book is more for adults who will grasp its meaning. The person who wrote the review thought it was awful that he, the organ grinder, should be invited in, and then what? Back out in the cold? So, I'm wondering, should we do nothing because perhaps we can only do one thing? Look at the joy on the mans face! In a room that size, full of people perhaps there was someone who could offer him a place to stay. Oh how we limit what God can do when we open our hearts to care. May I also suggest that this may have been the first of many offers to come in from the cold, for a hot bowl of soup, hot chocolate or even a cool glass of lemonade on a hot day! Jesus said when you do kind things to others you are doing them unto him! May I also be so bold as to suggest that this may have been the end of the book, but only the beginning of the story. Think about it.
11 comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 25, 2016
This midi edition loses so much in the reduced size. This is, perhaps, my favorite Christmas story but so much of the story is in the illustrations. I got this for my granddaughter and, when I saw it, I immediately found the full-sized edition and bought it for her. Now she has two.
on July 18, 2013
I didn't relate too much to these characters or the plot. The artwork is cute and kids enjoyed the drawings of the two girls. Maybe if you read other books about these same characters it would catch on better, but this one is definitely medium, in my students' opinion.
on January 19, 2013
I found this book last year and gave it to lots of people for Christmas because it's such a great story of a child experiencing the real spirit of Christmas, opening herself to other's needs and including them in the fold. And this year, I was involved in a homeless project trying to raise awareness of homeless women in our area so it had even more relevance to my life, to the people with whom I was working and to whom I gave it, and to the spirit of the season. And it's gorgeously illustrated and presented -- a favorite of mine. I believe it's currently out-of-print and the price on Amazon was incredible.
on February 8, 2016
Love it! Beautiful story, beautiful illustrations. Had a great discussion with my daughter about poverty and kindness. Highly recommend!
on December 29, 2010
We first read this book at the library, and chose it as this year's addition to the family Christmas book collection. I want my children to understand and be sensitive to the needs of others. The girl in the story is both curious about and kind to the organ player. The illustrations tell much of what is not said in the story - her family's financial circumstances, the absence of a father due to the war, the concern of her mother both to keep up appearances and be safe. Each time I read it with my children, we see new details that add to the depth and reality of each character. We have read it many times, and with it packed away until next Christmas, I'm sure we'll enjoy it again and again.

One note - I'm not sure why it's called a "midi" edition. I believe this might be better stated "mini" edition. The pages are about 6" x 8", but it's still adequately large to enjoy.
on January 17, 2014
We purchased this book and love reading it as a Christmas holiday tradition. I ended up purchasing several more copies for friends and family as well. Kate Dicamillo is an amazing author for children, but her books hold so much hope for all of us.
on February 20, 2018
Beautiful story and illustrations. Thoughtful message for all ages.
on December 19, 2016
Wonderful story, beautifully illustrated. Wonderful quality, sent as indicated. Would purchase from seller again!
on October 28, 2017
My students love ❤️ this book. So do I.