Truck Season Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Gone Girl
Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 28, 2017
I first read Gone Girl on a camping trip in the summer of 2012. Even early into the novel, I knew that it was like nothing I'd read before. I remember reading this on my ancient kindle, straining to see the screen in the dim light of the campfire. I didn't want to put it down. I finished the book in two days, and I was sad to see it end. As soon as I finished, I wanted more. I ended up downloading Flynn's two other novels, Sharp Objects and Dark Places, but they still didn't quite fill the void that Gone Girl had left. (Dark Places was better than Sharp Objects, IMO.) Ever since that summer I've been searching for another life-consuming whirlwind read like Gone Girl, and I have yet to find anything that measures up.

I realize that this novel is not for everyone. It's about very flawed people, who do terrible things. Gone Girl is gritty, violent, and at times cringeworthy. (Desi's mother's 'signature scent' makes me wrinkle my nose in disgust still.) Gone Girl is uncomfortable. It's not a feel-good story with a happy ending. (Or is it a happy ending? That's open to interpretation.) Gone Girl is original, smart, and staying.
The characters will stay with you long after you've finished.
11 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 26, 2017
I loved this book so much, I wanted to leave at least SOMETHING. A page turner, on-the-edge-of-your-seat suspense, it all falls apart at the end. IMO
Until now, I’ve never left a review if I couldn’t give 5 stars. Knowing personally the tough process of bringing a book into existence, I didn’t feel right saying a thing if it’s not a five.
It’s sad, really. I’m not saying I could do it better (geez, seriously, this work is Amazing. Pun intended LOL). However, I think the author could have. I get it. I understand, and I’m sure Gillian has her reasons for the way it ended. It was just so..... anti-climactic. Like I seriously think one of them should have killed the other. Or at least left or or or .... idk, just throwing stuff out there.

Anyhow, I HIGHLY recommend reading Gillian’s work. The writing and story are incredible. Again, Until the end. The writing is still freaking awesome, the story just... lacks in the end.

Ok.. enough from me. Now go read it anyway. Really!
5 people found this helpful
on November 17, 2016
DNF

I think this book is incredibly overrated. I tried really hard to like it, because so many people think it's pretty much the greatest book ever. But I thought it was so boring. I kept putting it down and then I just ended up never picking it back up. I don't see the point of finishing it anyway, I figured out what happened to Amy early on in the book. I read a couple of reviews to see if I was right and I sure was! I don't like predictable books. I also don't like slow books, and this book is slow as hell. I've never read any other Gillian Flynn books, and after this I don't plan to.
on December 28, 2014
WARNING - MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Where do I begin? This novel is BRILLIANT, plain and simple. The main characters are strong and complex, and the story is totally engrossing, a real page turner.
I have been curious about this book for a while now, before the movie came out, but having read the negative reviews first (I know, my bad, but it's what I always do) I decided against reading it, and I couldn't have been more wrong! After seeing a few gif sets of the movie, I decided to give it a go, and boy was I in for a ride! And I had read spoilers beforehand, but I was still completely sucked in and surprised by the turn of events.

Amazing Amy is a psychopath, but that doesn't stop you from empathising with her and actually rooting for her. Granted, she takes things a bit too far, but I can guarantee there are people far worse than her in real life. The thing is that she does things to get her way and when things don't go her way, that's when her psychopathic brilliance unravels with full force. I that if Nick had not cheated, she wouldn't have gone as far as she did, she would have done something to get Nick's attention anyway, but nothing as crazy as what she actually did. She IS a psychopath, nothing will change that, it's what you don't do or stop doing that will get her going. And Nick cheating does exactly that, sends her into a tailspin (it was actually the cherry on top of the cake: both of them getting fired, having to lend most of her trust fund money to her parents, moving to Missouri...)

I absolutely adored Amy's character! It is such a well written character and so different from every other female character that is out there these days. Nick was very good too.

I don't understand how people can criticise the ending, a Hollywood ending where everything is tied up in a perfect little bow just wasn't possible, and honestly, who would want it?. She pulls the most ancient move of all time on the guy: trapping him with a pregnancy. And it is brilliant, because Nick knows he'll have to stay with her in order to protect that child, to ensure his/her safety, I have no doubt that Amy would go as far as killing her own child if something didn't go as she wanted or if Nick did something she didn't like (accuse him of child molestation or God knows what else). The ending is open, it leaves you wondering, because she thinks she has Nick in the palm of her hand, but does she, really? The question is, how will she retaliate to what he says: "I feel sorry for you because every day you have to wake up and be you", and she says she wishes he hadn't said that and that she can't stop thinking about it. To me it is obvious they will continue battling each other, to see who can outsmart who, Nick being at a disadvantage because he cares about his child; Amy, I don't think she gives a fu**, as long as she gets what she wants.

I loved it, loved everything about it, the dual POV's, the diary entries, all the things she does, which some reviewers say are far fetched, I thought they were believable; a special mention goes to Margo, I really loved her character and the dynamic with Nick. Do yourself a favour and do not read the negative reviews, buy this book, and enjoy it! I'm going to start reading Ms.Flynn's other books now. Hats off to her for writing such a unique story.
9 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 7, 2017
One of the most annoying books I have ever (tried to) read. Flynn is a master of jarring, unrealistic dialog (a female character says - out of the blue - "if I had a d___, I'd f____ this jar of peanut butter"), confusing, unhelpful similes, extended, boring tangents, and self-absorbed, completely unlikable lead characters. There may be an interesting mystery here, but I'll never find out because after 100 pages or so I could not put up with any more of her extremely irritating writing. This book is the worst kind of self-indulgent drivel. Don't waste your time.
12 people found this helpful
on October 17, 2017
This is one of THE WORST books that I have ever read-- it's implausible, insipid, and insulting. Therefore, the reason that this was made into a movie is beyond baffling??? (As well as the 5-star reviews-- do people just 'settle' for mediocre, inferior, or less, these days???).

The story is mind-numbingly l-o-n-g (translation: boring), while taking unnecessary twists and turns, given in excessive detail (again, boring), and ultimately it's unrelatable and very unbelievable. Since most couples in this world are NOT sociopaths, it is difficult to comprehend 'why' these two very unlikeable people would stay together? People go their separate ways every day, rather than engaging in cruel "mind games" to one-up each other, and continue to 'trap' each other into staying in an unhealthy relationship. The rest of the characters are really caricatures with no depth, and readers will take very little interest in any of them. Needless to say, the ending is ridiculous and disappointing-- it felt as if the author just lost her momentum (or perhaps was near deadline?), and took the easy way out.

***SPOILER ALERT***: There are (at least) two events that stand out as especially inexplicable. Why would Amy open the cabin door, when she KNEW that Jeff and Greta were after her money??? And, HOW did Amy use a knife on Desi, when she was supposed to have been "hogtied", and it was mentioned that he was cutting her meat and feeding it to her??? Opening the cabin door was just sheer stupidity, but that action was obviously used to move the story along. And, since Amy's explanation of her use of the knife was 'bogus', the police should have been able to see through it, or at least question and investigate it more extensively.

This is the first time that I have read anything by this author, and it will be the last. I don't recommend this book to anyone, and I would certainly NEVER pay good money to see the movie.
on November 21, 2014
I'm not going to try to sugar-coat it -- this is one of the worst books I've ever read, and that's saying alot.

First, the plot is so predictable! I knew the outcome almost from the beginning.

Second, there's not a single character (other than the very minor character of the sister) who is even remotely likable. It appeared Flynn was trying to make sure she constructed the characters to keep the reader guessing as to who did what but, as I explained above, the outcome was so obvious that it was a wasted effort. More importantly, though, she tried too hard, creating characters that were despicable caricatures at best.

How this got past even a half-rate editor is amazing. The writing style is poor at best, grammatical errors abound, etc. Yes, it's okay to bend and even break the rules for stylistic effect, but that's not the case here. Again, it seemed like the author was trying too hard to be something and, in the effort, she merely made matters worse.

This book should -- and could -- have been so much better. As it is, it doesn't even merit the 1 star I had to give it to publish this review. Find something better -- it won't be hard to do.
7 people found this helpful
on May 13, 2017
This book blew me away. It starts out as a murder mystery, then becomes so much more. There are a lot of little clues and red herrings along the way, leading you through an excellent mystery. The writing was great. There's some really awesome imagery, but I didn't like all the parenthesis.

I have to recommend not spoiling this book before you read it. Don't see the movie, just read the book. It's a mystery and the fun in reading it came from trying to figure out what was going on.

The beginning is a little slow. There's lots of backstory, and a lot of information to set the scene. There were things to keep me interested, things I noticed that I wondered about, but it wasn't until the half-way point that I couldn't put this down. Everything in the first half of this book it building to a serious turning point in the middle. Once I reached that part, everything changed.

I didn't like Amy at first because she sounded pretentious. You hear her side of the story, and get flashbacks of her and Nick's past through diary entries. As the first half of the book went on I started to like her and I started to believe that Nick had killed her. By the end, I was rooting for Nick.

The ending was satisfactory, but not entirely satisfying. <Spoiler> I really really wanted Nick to kill Amy in the end. It felt like she deserved it, but doing so wouldn't have given him a happy ending. There was a part of me that rooted for Amy at times, and there were even parts that wished Nick and Amy could have what they used to -- so a part of me was very satisfied with the ending, but at the same time, I know its all fake and so it's not really. </Spoiler> It's a very twisted book, but I loved it.
One person found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on July 27, 2015
I'm a big reader, like BIG reader. I've read hundreds and hundreds of books and not many times have I stopped readin a book til I was finished. This was not one of those times. Just could not get interested. The language didn't help. I read maybe 6 chapters, probably not even. So slow I couldn't take it anymore and gave up. Glad I didn't pay for the actual book and only got it on my kindle.
on July 11, 2015
This was originally posted on https://thelittlebookaffair.wordpress.com/

I almost didn’t finish this book several times due to the fact that I felt very emotionally detached from the characters. I usually like books that have switching point of views but there was something about it in this book that actually got on my nerves. Actually, every character in Gone Girl got on my nerves with the exception of Go. I didn’t like that the switching point of views were set during different time frames at first and I didn’t really like how neither of our narrators were reliable.

However, I am happy I continued reading because this book is full with one plot twist after another and a few of them are plot twists that I didn’t see coming. Once I got about halfway through the book I became increasingly interested in the disappearance of Amy and I wanted to know where she was and who took her. I actually found myself somewhat enjoying the book. I kept coming up with all of these theories about what happened. I liked that the mystery wasn’t easy enough for me to figure out within the first couple of chapters. While I did guess some plot points before they happened, I never really guessed the big picture; even though I sorta figured the ending, I didn’t imagine it would go down like that.

However, my biggest complaint with Gone Girl is how it was written, honestly. It was written so slow and so boring. The author does a fantastic job of creating characters that are truly screwed up, but Gillian Flynn’s writing is entirely too descriptive for my taste and I feel like she drug the book out longer than it had to be. That’s the main reason it got 3 stars. I do want to pick up Flynn’s other books, because the stories seem interesting, however I’m not rushing to pick them up considering I’m not a huge fan of the way she writes.
5 people found this helpful