Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 35,725 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 43,962 reviews
on September 29, 2014
The stories of Amy and Nick are told in alternate chapters. The marriage of Nick and Amy turns toxic when they lose their jobs in New York and move back to their hometown in Missouri. Amy is unhappy, disappears and is presumed dead, with Nick the prime suspect.

SPOILER ALERT for description that follows. On the day of their fifth wedding anniversary, Amy goes missing. At first Nick is worried, then becomes alarmed, as does the rest of the town. Told from alternating points of view, Nick and Amy tell their stories through conversation (Nick) and a diary (Amy). However, their stories do not match. Amy is hiding out and uses her fake diary to lead police to believe Nick is her killer since she has "disappeared." Amy is running low on money when she is robbed by fellow guests of a motel. Desperate, she seeks help from her first boyfriend, Desi. He agrees to hide her but keeps her almost a prisoner.

Amy disappears under very disturbing circumstances. Nick and Amy Dunne were the golden couple when they first began their courtship. Soul mates. They could complete each other's sentences, guess each other's reactions. They could push each other's buttons. They are smart, charming, gorgeous, and also narcissistic, selfish, and cruel. The book ends with Amy writing that she is about to give birth to her son, and that she has written a memoir about her abduction by Desi. Nick had begun writing his own memoir exposing Amy's murderous, manipulative tendencies, but he deleted it when Amy (who knew he had wanted a child for years), revealed her pregnancy. The ending shows Nick and Amy back together, with Nick being kind and gentle, loving the thought of becoming a father. He decides that if he can return to being the man Amy fell in love with, he could be happy and make himself happy.

Things I liked are: Fresh language, humor, irony. Also the anniversary stories Amy conjures up to amuse Nick
on July 25, 2014
I will try not to spoil this book for anyone who wants to read it. In truth (ironic, given the amount of lies in the book) the majority of the book is well-written and interesting. The ending completely ruins it though. Given a better ending this is a 4 or 5 star book; as it is, I was debating between 2 or 3 stars.

The story centers around Nick Dunne, whose wife Amy goes missing and is presumed dead. As is so often the case, the husband becomes the prime suspect as far as both the police and press are concerned. Things look especially bad for Nick because he tends to hide his emotions so he comes across as cold; additional revelations complicate matters even more. His sister stands by him and his in-laws do for the most part. A large search is organized to find Amy which drags on.

With chapters alternating between present-day happenings with Nick searching for Amy and entries from Amy's diary of when they first met and got married, the book is told in an interesting way. There are a few nice plot twists - a couple I could easily see coming and others that took me by surprise. However, the ending was the biggest surprise of all and the biggest disappointment. I will not spoil it but I will say that I was not convinced by it. Given Nick's character I do not really accept the way the story ended. I believe the situation would have occurred as it did but do not believe Nick would have gone along with it. Not only that, but the ending left me feeling empty and unsatisfied.
on March 12, 2017
Brilliant! This is a crime thriller written with panache. Take a highly intelligent sociopath who leaves a tangled web of clues, with no stone unturned for both the police and this disturbed person's prime victim, and you have a 'can't put down' story. It's creepy and frustrating all at the same time, but very entertainingly readable all the way through - and I'm not normally into thrillers! The inadequacy of police being able to convict someone, media influence and a relationship of deception right from the start, all go into creating a hotpotch of injustice which extends to more people than just one as the story unfolds - people that this very sick person has been personally involved with throughout their life. Which is what made the book so frustrating for me, but engrossing, as well.
on January 28, 2014
A quick background to put my review in context: This is my first ever Amazon review, although Amazon.com is my go-to site for just about everything except groceries. Additionally, I am a bookworm and literally sleep with my hands wrapped around my kindle (when I DO sleep, as I am an insomniac). Depending on the length and complexity of any given book, I read 1-4 books per week, averaging about 2 per week. (Compliments of my insomnia.) I've read over 400 books over the course of the past 3.5 years. I wanted to add in this intro to show how strongly I felt about this book and how it got me riled up enough to take the time to write my first ever review.

For a long time, I avoided reading "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn because despite the 4.5 star ratings in the thousands, the book had a lot of negative reviews. Additionally, all of the negative reviews I read had almost exactly the same complaints regarding the book. I caved when I heard a movie version may be coming out, as I like to compare how two different mediums portray the same story, so I finally downloaded the book.

I found the first part of the book to be VERY interesting, although I figured out what happened to the "gone girl" before I even started part two. I don't know if it was meant to be predictable or if I've just read too many books, but I enjoyed it and started wondering why so many people disliked it. The second half of the second part of the book when "gone girl" appears (don't worry, you learn that by reading the table of contents, so this is not a spoiler) is where it all went downhill for me.

The ending to the book basically read like the beginning of the book, so you really only need to read a few pages of the beginning to get a feeling for the "non-ending". I call it a non-ending because no plot points were resolved or tied up in any way, shape, or form. Maybe the author was going for a cliffhanger? But, it wasn't even that as it didn't end in suspense. Rather, it ended in dismay for me as a reader AND also for the characters. There was no emotion or resolution of any kind that left me feeling satisfied when I turned the last page. I don't need a happy ending. I just need some sort of ending, some closure. The ending felt like the author got tired of writing or was close to missing her deadline, so she just stopped writing and thought the lack of an ending would make her book all the better and "different", setting her aside from other authors. Well Ms. Flynn, you failed miserably on that account.

I gave this book two stars because I found the psychological aspects of Ms. Flynn's writing in "Part 1" and through various parts of "Part 2" of the book to be intriguing. However, my recommendation would be to wait to read the book until it is available at your local library or to borrow a copy from a friend or family member instead of wasting your money on it.
"Gone Girl" is one of those books that keeps the reader turning the page through use of tangled webs of lies and the improbable results. Each chapter seems to introduce a new suspect and a new motive for the alleged murder. Alternating chapters are narrated by Nick and by his wife Amy Dunne; each individual provides their unique perspective on the events occurring in the novel.

Characters are strongly drawn. Their personalities are presented through the two diaries which are detailed enough for the reader to develop strong reactions toward the individuals. Nick is the quintessential "momma's boy"; a handsome man, he has been coddled and protected through his life. His mother and his twin sister enable his behavior. His angry father has alienated Nick whose reactions are those of an individual observing events, but not really internalizing them. Amy is brilliant, a true genius - especially when it comes to self-preservation. She resents her parents using her as a model for their "Amazing Amy" series of children's books.

"Gone Girl" is a book that is hard to put down. While there are some things that the reader will question and will see as a possible oversight during editing - to discuss them would spoil the novel, those instances are rare. If you are resisting reading "Gone Girl" because of the publicity it has received, stop resisting and start reading.
on February 6, 2015
I couldn't wait to read this book because the movie is coming on netflix, and since books are always better than movies, I wanted to know the whole story before seeing the film. This book was even better than I had expected. The story alternates between the diary of Amy going back seven years, and the current day, first person account of her husband, Nick, beginning with the day Amy disappears, seemingly off the face of the earth. It quickly becomes a foregone conclusion that Amy is dead and not just missing, and police attention soon focuses solely on Nick. The crime scene just doesn't support a robbery. Nick has the unquestioning support of his twin sister, Go, and Amy's parents at the start of the investigation. However, a series of events slowly come to light, placing Nick in a much poorer light. Amy brought the money to the marriage, Amy bought the bar that Nick and Go operate, Nick has been having an affair. Nick's own "people pleaser" personality works against him in enough ways that public opinion leans toward his guilt. Then there is a discovery of outrageous credit card debt in Nick's name, and a hidden cache of pricey merchandise. Nick's own investigation into possible alternative suspects from Amy's past lead nowhere, and Amy's parents turn against him. It is apparent, both from Amy's diary entries and Nick's narrative, that life with Amy is no picnic. At the very least, she is controlling, manipulative, neurotic and obsessed with herself. Nick no longer loves her, but is that enough to make him kill her? I don't want to throw any spoilers in here, but suffice it to say that the ending is startlingly unexpected. I kind of hated the ending, but in all honesty, could not think of any other outcome. HERE'S ONE THING I WANT TO WARN YOU ABOUT: DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, READ THE NAMES OF THE CHAPTERS IN THE BEGINNING OF THE BOOK. SKIP RIGHT PAST THE TABLE OF CONTENTS WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. I made the mistake of reading the table of contents, and it lessened the impact of the twists at the end of this book. I highly recommend this book. It is exciting, the characters are totally realistic and you will find yourself caught up in the dizzying whirlpool of lies and deceit that make up the world of Nick and Amy.
on January 1, 2015
I am genuinely surprised by the all the hype surrounding this book. I am equally surprised by the number of people that gave it four and five stars. The writing was engaging but rather hollow. It lacked depth. It seemed as though the author threw in complex words to show off her intelligence instead of using vocabulary to build the story.
I have to admit that I read the book in two days - it was a very easy read and it was engaging. Although, the quality of writing and weak story line seemed more like an indie novel to me. I do not say that to insult indie novels, I love them but it lacked consistency and polish. One thing that really bothers me in a novel is inconsistencies - holes within the story. There were a few in here that an editor or publisher should have caught. Overall, it was an interesting read with a weak, disappointing, and insipid ending. The ending was subpar at best. It lacked imagination, ingenuity, and realism.
on July 11, 2015
This was originally posted on https://thelittlebookaffair.wordpress.com/

I almost didn’t finish this book several times due to the fact that I felt very emotionally detached from the characters. I usually like books that have switching point of views but there was something about it in this book that actually got on my nerves. Actually, every character in Gone Girl got on my nerves with the exception of Go. I didn’t like that the switching point of views were set during different time frames at first and I didn’t really like how neither of our narrators were reliable.

However, I am happy I continued reading because this book is full with one plot twist after another and a few of them are plot twists that I didn’t see coming. Once I got about halfway through the book I became increasingly interested in the disappearance of Amy and I wanted to know where she was and who took her. I actually found myself somewhat enjoying the book. I kept coming up with all of these theories about what happened. I liked that the mystery wasn’t easy enough for me to figure out within the first couple of chapters. While I did guess some plot points before they happened, I never really guessed the big picture; even though I sorta figured the ending, I didn’t imagine it would go down like that.

However, my biggest complaint with Gone Girl is how it was written, honestly. It was written so slow and so boring. The author does a fantastic job of creating characters that are truly screwed up, but Gillian Flynn’s writing is entirely too descriptive for my taste and I feel like she drug the book out longer than it had to be. That’s the main reason it got 3 stars. I do want to pick up Flynn’s other books, because the stories seem interesting, however I’m not rushing to pick them up considering I’m not a huge fan of the way she writes.
on March 4, 2015
I feel like I missed something. I originally was giving this book 4 stars. At 52% of the way through it was a solid 5 stars. I just finished the book, and so disappointed, it is getting 3 stars.
I felt the book just dragging. I remember thinking at some point this has to pick up! It was not horrible, it just was not keeping my attention. Therefore, 4 stars.
I had had enough, was about to turn off my Kindle for the night and whoosh! It picked up speed. I read straight on through the night, I looked up at 5am, and only paused to feed my dog. Back to reading! I even posted a review, which did not get posted due to a glitch.(?) I have never left a review in the middle of a book. I gave it 5 stars, even though it was unfinished.
I was forced to put the Kindle down through most of the day yesterday. Finally, late last night I picked up where I left off, eager. I had misread so much in this book, I was honestly surprised at each turn. Nothing was what I expected.
A few minutes ago I started feeling like lines were just being repeated, it was slowing down, losing momentum... and then I was looking at the Acknowledgment page? Where was the ending? What happens next? It was not, "This is so good it left me wanting more"... It was more like,"I think there needs to be an ending! Where is the ending?". 3 STARS!
I read Dark Places & Sharp Objects, so I have a feel for Gillian Flynn's writing style. I hoped this would be even better than the first two. I never saw the movie so I am not comparing the two. I am just really disappointed in the ending.
on March 2, 2016
I have seen so many disparate reviews for this book. People either love it or hate, so I'm not surprised that I too had mixed feelings about Gone Girl. I also watched the movie because I like to see how well they bring a book's essence to life on the big screen. Unfortunately, I did't really care for the movie.

I loved how Gillian was able to jump back and forth between the past and the present as well as between Nick and Amy's point of views. If you're going to do that practically throughout the entire book, it is wise to make sure to not lose your readers along the way. You start out feeling sorry for poor Amy and wondering if Nick was as culpable as Amy portrayed him, only to discover that all of that information Amy had written in the diary was fabricated, which forces you to change your entire perspective about the both of them.

I do agree with other reviewers that the second half of the book came alive. The tug of war between Nick and Amy to come out on top was enthralling and I couldn't wait to see who would come out on top, Nevertheless I was sorely let down by the ending. It just didn't seem to match all of the effort Nick and Amy put in to be the winner of their war. I felt that in the end, no one won.

I gave this book 3 stars because I was thoroughly entertained but felt that the air was left out of the balloon in the end. I'll probably read another book by Gillian to see what else she has up her sleeve.