Industrial Deals HPC Holiday Gift Picks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Gone to Ground: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$14.88+ Free shipping

on October 20, 2015
The small, sleepy town of Amaryllis, MS, suddenly has some action and secrets that terrify the townspeople.Over the course of three years, six women have all been killed with the same modus operandi. All but the last are older, single or widowed women.
With the last murder, the evidence clearly points to the guilty suspect. The problem is, three different women are positive three different men are guilty-- and all have "proof" for a cynical police chief.

I had forgotten why I liked Brandilyn Collins's books so much. Her stories fly swiftly along, as I hang on for dear life at the twists and turns that occur in the already unnerving journey. I love how Collins switches effortlessly between three very different, very complex protagonists to narrate the story. I especially loved her rendition of Cherrie Mae. Although Cherrie Mae doesn't sound well-educated, life with her husband produces literary quotes for any occasion, not to mention the calming influence and faith that wonderful lady possesses. Everyone should be so fortunate to have a Cherrie Mae in his/her life!!

A quotable to live by(and not a literary quote). "You can hold your head high after going on from your mistakes. But you can't hold your head high if you live with those mistakes and never do anything to correct them." (Deena to Tully)

I gratefully received this fast moving page - turner from bookfun.org in exchange for an honest review.
on May 25, 2017
Amaryllis, MS has secrets and a serial killer. Three women are positive they know who’s the killer and they all have proof.

I can’t get enough of Brandilyn’s books. Fast and swift. It’s a writing style I study, trying to emulate.
I especially loved the character of Cherrie Mae. Small, black woman, packed with a lot of spunk. I found myself cheering her on. She didn’t have a problem taking on the most powerful people in her small town. Cherrie made things happen. Boy, did she make things happen.

This story spun me in so many directions. Just when I thought I figured out who done it, the plot twisted in a different direction. Whiplashed into reality. I loved it.
on September 16, 2013
In the small town of Amaryllis, Mississippi, everyone knows everyone and most don't even bother locking their doors. That is, until the murders start happening.

In the past three years five unsolved murders have occurred within the town. All the victims were women, and all were killed in similar fashion in their own homes. And just two nights ago, there was a sixth.

As panic floods Amaryllis, three women are certain they know who the killer is and will stop at nothing until he's caught. The only problem? They each suspect a different man.

Who is right?

Who is wrong?

And who is dead?

Brandilyn Collins has become one of my favorite authors, and Gone to Ground is a fantastic example of why I love her writing so much. At this point I've read four novels by her, and I can pretty much guarantee that if you pick up anything of hers you'll be hanging onto the edge of your seat until the story finishes. Her books are fast-paced and almost impossible to put down, and Gone to Ground is no exception.

Not only was I completely immersed in the story, but I could not figure out who-dun-it. I enjoy books that make you think and keep you involved in the mystery, and with this particular novel I was guessing until the very end.

Throughout the book Collins' uses the viewpoints of three different women who are certain they know who the killer is. I'd read one viewpoint and was certain I knew, too. But then the other woman would get a chance to tell her story and show her evidence, and I was certain she was right. And so it went the entire book.

Collins is a master at both suspense and cleverly woven twists, and Gone to Ground had a twist I never saw coming.

The characters in this book were even more well-rounded and defined than I'd seen before in any of the other books I've read by Collins, and their voices were so uniquely crafted that I think you would know who was speaking even without the chapter headings at the top. I also really appreciated the fact that Collins went a little deeper than she normally does with her characters' faith.

Because of the perfect balance Collins struck between an excellent plot and characters you felt as if you'd known all your life, Gone to Ground may be my favorite of hers yet.

So if you haven't guessed already, I'm highly recommending you check out this book!
on November 22, 2016
AWESOME!!! as always - just about my fav of all Brandilyn's suspense. it's starts off with intensity and doesn't let you go all the way to the end. a must read, it will grab your attention and won't let go. I love the way she writes - not too wordy but not such a quick read that you didn't get enough depth of the story-it's just right. Keep'm coming!
on May 21, 2015
Brandilyn Collins has always been one of my favorite authors and Gone to Ground didn't disappoint! It is a little unusual in the fact that there are 3 really good suspects for the murders. Really hard to eliminate any of them, 3 different women band together to try to solve the case. They all have someone close to them, that they feel is probably the killer. But they all would really like their "suspect" absolved of the crimes. so are trying to find the REAL killer. One of those books you can't put down until the real killer (or killers) are disclosed. If you are a fan of her books, it's a MUST read.
on April 30, 2014
The story of Gone to Ground is woven together by 3 women who have nothing in common except the personal need to discover the serial killer who has been stalking their small town. Five women have been killed and, and now there is a sixth. Two suspects are almost immediately jailed but soon comes a third. Are all three guilty of the horrendous murders??? Something just is not right.
I did guess the end ( part of the end well into the book). I guessed the rest right before it was revealed. Such fun! Loved the end after the end...HA! Need to read the book to figure that last sentence out!
Great suspense, super characters,excellent plot....you will enjoy it!
on March 24, 2017
Great book. Agatha Christie like, with so many possible suspects you're not sure who all is involved, but great fun guessing. Meanwhile, three very different people you are following finally come together with their individual knowledge and it gets even harder to figure out!
on January 10, 2017
I loved this book. The author used the broken English as if the characters were talking directly to us . Although it was written this way it didn't take away from the book.
It was well written,suspenseful and truly a joy to read. I will read more from this author.
on May 5, 2013
Brankilyn Collins did not disappoint me with this book. I liked the first person telling of the story and was not confused at all by who was speaking. The story kept you guessing on who had committed the murder. Each suspect could have done it and had a good reason to commit the murders. But who really did it and what was the ultimate motive?

I found this story unsettling. I don't know if it was the fact that maybe some of it could hit home or I sympathized too much with all the main characters. This is a good mystery, but as I said in my title, it is a bit unsettling. Don't read it expecting a "revenge" type of ending. It's not there. But the ending is amusing and interesting.
on July 24, 2017
It took me a bit to get into the story, but it was a page turner after just a few pages. It was an interesting way to introduce you to the characters. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good mystery. Really liked the surprise ending.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse