Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,662 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,870 reviews
on October 29, 2014
Michael Bennett should stay "Gone" if this is the kind of junk his readers will be subjected to in the future. I bought this book last year, but 2013 was a busy year for me, so it sat in my pile of books to read. I bought "Burn" recently, then remembered I'd never read "Gone," so I went back and am now reading "Gone." I read a book in a couple days, max. A week into this one, and still I haven't read 75 percent. And I might not finish it. Patterson needs to stop cheating his loyal, longtime readers and give us what we're paying for. I'm all for helping out up-and-coming hopefuls, etc., but remove Patterson's name from the byline.
This book is all over the place, and the plot is outrageous. Suddenly Seamus is a senile old man (I mean, why else would he put his grandkids in danger, the same kids who have been threatened with death by a madman). Parker drives out to the farm seemingly with no cover. Bennett suddenly comes out of hiding and is riding all over L.A., knowing that Perrine has bought people off and that there's a leak in the department somewhere. But hey, "here I am, bad guy!" Mary Catherine: no words. The only person I feel sorry for in this book is the farm owner, whom I'm hoping isn't sacrificed to the plot (and myself). I will read "Burn" only because I've already bought it.
James Patterson, listen up: This is the last book of yours that I will be reading if it has another author's name on it. You may not care, but there are a lot of folks out there fed up, like me, and if enough of us boycott you cheating us then maybe you'll hear us.
Meantime, I'll stick to John Sandford (Lucas Davenport, Virgil Flowers) and Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware)!
on October 11, 2013
Michael Bennett and Alex Cross were two really engaging characters. They were well-defined and I knew and cared about how they reached where they were when i first met them. I looked forward to each new and thrilling story. Then Mr Patterson decided to check out. As I understand it, he produces a treatment of 60 to 80 pages, establishes the plot and characters, then he hires a writer to turn it all into a full-length book. I absolutely would not mind this if the hired writers were as talented as Mr Patterson, but they're not. I wouldn't buy their books and I feel conned into doing it just because I want to read about the main characters' storylines.

This latest Michael Bennett story is a prime example. There are pages and pages about the children and the family which I feel are written at a level suitable for eary teens. Then suddenly we leap to obscenely violent episodes, then presto chango we're back with the family in the witness protection program (or a very watered-down version of it) and it's not at all convincing. It's fluffy page-filling at best. I checked and i think that I could skip almost every family chapter and not only would it not really affect the story, but I would probably enjoy the whole thing a whole lot more.

I have decided that I will not buy any more James Patterson books because they are no longer written by him and I have no interest in what is now being published under his name.

Mr Patterson: I read about seven or eight books a month and Alex Cross was one of the most exciting characters i had ever met. His style, family and history were rivetting. His life was intense and I introduced him to so many people. I am very sad that you set him adrift to be used and abused by amateurs.
88 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 3, 2013
When my friends make fun of me for reading Patterson's novels, I point out that they are cracking good stories about engaging people. When that stops being true about one series, there's generally another series just firing up.

But this is the first time I've ever felt cheated of the price of admission.

I read this on Kindle, where it ends at 90%. It took only a couple of hours to hit 45% and I'm a slow reader. The Amazon site says there are 416 pages in the book. Really? How many reams of white space? Half the kids don't make it to breakfast, let alone into whole sentences. One of the twins, Bridget, is completely absent til literally the last page.

Several reviewers mention characters doing stupid stuff. Yes. No spoilers, but with this super-killer on the loose, it's hard to believe that family members -- adult family members -- would take stupid/silly chances. Yes, as readers we know that SuperKiller has to find the family. But if the authors had taken the trouble to make it believable and complicated and interesting the book would have lasted another hour.

So -- not good news, folks. It's too short and what's here is not that good. It's like a drive by, a quick one. We see the people we've grown to like, but we don't get to visit.

I wish I could give it a five, really.
22 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2017
Very disappointed explicit violence very hard to read definitely do not recommend rewritten poorly of prior version of Patterson novel
on May 3, 2015
I purchased this for a friend who is an avid fan of everything Patterson writes. While she enjoyed the book and found it intriguing, she felt it was not quite up to the standards of the murder club series.
on November 3, 2013
This is the best James Patterson book I have read in a while. I love the Michael Bennett stories and this one really didn't disappoint. I won't spoil the story for others as I want you to judge for yourself. You won't be disappointed. Great story!
on March 11, 2017
This is the first Michael Bennett book I have read and I will definitely be reading the rest. James Patterson always delivers !!!
on June 11, 2016
I love it. I like all his characters but I beginning to think Michael Bennett is one of my favorites!
on November 19, 2013
Patterson never disappoints....he has definitely done it again! He puts the hammer down and never lets you catch your breath. I absolutely loved this latest chapter in the Michael Bennett series.
on March 31, 2017
Was so glad to have Perrine finished for good. Want to see Bennett and Mary Catherine get married and have a few more kids.