Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,638 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,630 reviews
on February 10, 2016
I bought this book after reading a politically correct rant in a magazine by someone who thought it was high time that the book should be shunned or even banned. In general, I tend to think that anything that people want to ban should be immediately and strongly supported for free speech reasons, if nothing else, but I did not necessarily have high expectations for the book. I assumed it would be a low/middlebrow, well written historical romance, but not much more than that. I was way wrong. Its a great novel on many levels: plot, characterization, narrative flow, and effective advocacy and support for a vanquished way of life (Mitchell does not pretend to be objective; she is fighting a rear guard action to defend the South she loved against the judgment of history; the reason she infuriated liberal critics from the moment the book was published to the present day was because she fought that action so effectively in this book.). Of course, her view of the institution of slavery was disingenuous (at best), but, on the other hand, her bitter attacks on the carpetbaggers and speculators during the reconstruction era certainly ring true. But the politics of the book are not the elements that make it great; it is the portrayal of an era and the way she makes you care about the events, characters, and land that make up Scarlett O'Hara's world

This novel is the second greatest selling book of all time (the Bible is first), and I can now see why it has maintained its extraordinary popularity for 75 years. That popularity was, and is, well deserved.
33 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2017
One thing about a good book is that once it grips you, you just keeping on turning the pages oblivious of how many they are. I call it, the book fever that grips you and does not stop until you get to the end of it, bringing with it the sweet satisfaction, yet the yearning for more. "Gone with the Wind" counts as one of such books I have read. I could add "War and Peace, Disciples of Fortune", and Quiet Flows the Don" for now.

I first read this great American classic thirty years ago, watched the movie shortly after that, liked them both, but lost some elements of the story over the decades. So, a decision to read it again was one of the best things I ever did. It is a story full of rich, fluid and amazing descriptions that not only give depth to the characters that are themselves full of life and multiple dimensions, but also give greater credence to the plot, the true to life history around which the story is told and the settings that are so colorful. In fact, the story takes you to the complicated times of war, interwoven with love, loyalty, betrayal, friendship, kinship, patriotism and other extreme emotions that haunt man in his quest to be exclusive.

All in all, this is a fantastic book and deserves its place among America's top works of literature and fiction, and one of the best known classic books in the world. There aren't that many books of old that transport us to the times of their settings and leave us with the feeling that we understand what transpired at the time.
on September 7, 2017
I decided to read this to understand what went on for a selected few of the survivors who eked out a living during the Civil War and during Reconstruction. I do not condone slavery in any way, or do I judge all our many ancestors who went before us but I wanted to know the domestic challenges the people endured. I understand Margaret Mitchell spent a lot of time with research. Not certain if there is validity in the facts there, but certainly well-written as far as a college-educated author is concerned with the use of setting, characters and especially the use of words to describe the settings. Reading the very detailed an long tome, left me very unsettled and disturbed for all the people during those times. I would not read the sequel, after reading the reviews on Amazon about it. Sounded like a soap opera.
on October 11, 2015
For me, I absolutely loved this book and definitely plan to reread this Pulitzer Prize tome due to my love of history and this never ending, nail biting book produced scenes that just keep coming. There was never a dull moment within the book and wished they hadn't sullied this masterpiece by bringing it to Hollywood. Personally, I have never seen the movie.
After finishing this novel,(it felt like a marathon of sorts, especially with a tome such as this novel, I do not recommend for those who are young and don't understand that it is a "period piece of literature " and that the times, The language used within the novel are not socially acceptable in today's society.
Now,
Gone with the wind. Not what I expected. I avoided for a very long time. Why? Obvious reasons. It looked big, old, usually foxed, overly spoken about, like an old, but beloved dog. Also, it looked boring compared to my Jodi Picoult books sitting on my bookshelf , to be read. It's cover was ugly( important for this reader) and the thought of How could an old book that raised so much controversy be interesting in 2015?
Afterward, I realised people haven't changed, times have. Therefore making it still interesting to read. Even more so due to the liberation movement.
First, a piece of key advice to any novel that you will read. Never read a book that on books. You think they may provide motivation for reading that dusty classic book or give a hint of an idea to give that proverbial push into interest,and also how to navigate finding great books to read. Not the case. Rather, I have found it to be a doorway to the plot killer, money waster , thus making your reading of a major work of literature sullied, dulling your response and impact to the book. Mine came with the book, "The last book Club " by Will Schwalbe. Can we tuck it in people? You are promoting books, not being cliff notes.

Gone with the wind, in my opinion, to sum up the plot , points to the hard fact that people we love, requited or cherished, our house, land, peace , morals, government - for better or worse life as we know it , can , at any moment -never remain static. Even our feelings, goals, people, relationships, maturation , money and death can be fleeting and therefore , other than Melanie Wilkinson, it seems, can be a liken to that something that can gone -like the wind.
on February 18, 2016
I have read and reread this book, too many times to count. I read it the first time when I was 12. Now I am 62. It's a great book!!
Now no one could tell you all the parts of Gone With Wind, so I will hit some of the highlights. Here goes...
Scarlet O'Hara is the enticing southern belle that shook the state of Georgia, pre-civil war.
Then there was the war. Scarlet's world is turned up side down. She also meets Rhett Butler (my favorite).

The south is destroyed by Sherman's march to the sea. The carpetbaggers and the rest of the riff raff that poluted the south.

The end of the book is a settling down period. Scarlet finds out there is a day of reckoning for all the harm she has done to everyone.
on December 3, 2015
Bought this for my Mom since she's a Gone With the Wind freak. Even though it's not from the original production in April, it's still a first year production from the second run. She was more then excited so 5 stars from me!!!
on October 20, 2014
Crazy GWTW fan for 45 years! Unless I had received a waterlogged, mud-stained, ugly box of paper, I could not have been displeased! I haven't owned a copy for a long time, and, have far more memories, more recent memories, of the movie, although, I read the book at least 100 times between the ages of 12 and 20! The preface provided new insights into a novel I thought I knew backwards and forwards. Having last read the novel at 20, 37 years later, husband, family, career, changes, changes, changes, I am looking at this book with a different slant, hopefully, a bit more wisdom... As someone would reads every syllable in her mind (no speed reading with me), the conversations with Mammy, Pork, and Peter, slow me down more than usual as I decipher/decode meaning. And, as with anyone, whatever race, of the boomer generation and older, the "N word" is simply anathema. Yet, at the time Miss Mitchell wrote, it was more accepted, and, within the historical era of her story, it would sound ridiculous NOT to use it. But, I am 225 pages in and hooked again. I am far more aware of the sociological/cultural/philosophical aspects of this book than ever before! I am also a dinosaur who can't fathom Kindles and such! I must have a real book with paper pages to turn back and forth with ease, I relish the tactile side of book reading.
on February 23, 2012
I recently downloaded the book, `Gone With The Wind' to my Kindle. It's not because I haven't read the book - far from it! Like millions of readers world-wide, I have already savoured every page of this best-selling listed book of all time in hardback, at least twice so far. I was 6 years old when my grandmother first noticed me looking intently at her copy of `Gone With The Wind' in her bookcase. And it was shortly after my grandmother passed away a few months later that the very same book was placed gently into my hands to keep (as was her request).

There have been so many book reviews about `Gone With The Wind', authored by Margaret Mitchell, that I was almost tempted not to write this review. It seems somewhat pointless in repeating what has already been written countless times about this masterpiece, and the only book ever published by this author in 1936, who received a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for it, in 1937. With over 30 million sales, a film, and sequel attempts by other authors in attempts to keep the `Gone With The Wind' saga alive, it is a book well known, world-wide.

For those unfamiliar; set in the state of Georgia, southern United States in 1861, `Gone With The Wind' is the story of the high spirited, un-conforming southern belle Scarlett O'Hara and her tumultuous struggles of the heart, with (southern gentleman) Ashley Wilkes and (charming rogue) Rhett Butler. But it is not just a romance novel; it is also a novel bathed in American history, and the story of a young woman's determination and strength of will to save her beloved plantation home called Tara in any way possible, through times of the American Civil War and the early years of Reconstruction.

I cannot recall why I was so captivated by this book when I looked at it on my grandmother's book shelf all those years ago (it did not have a colourful outside cover). I certainly wasn't at an age to fully comprehend the contents of it, despite the fact that as a child growing up in the Australian bush in the 1960's, reading was a huge part of my childhood, especially as my mother and grandmother were both teachers. However, once I read the book I realised that my grandmother would have known I would relate to Scarlett's love of the land; her home, Tara, which she fought to protect at any cost.

My favourite excerpts:-

Gerald O'Hara (Scarlett's father): `'Do you mean to tell me, Katie Scarlett O'Hara, that Tara, that land doesn't mean anything to you? Why, land is the only thing in the world worth workin' for, worth fightin' for, worth dyin' for, because it's the only thing that lasts.''

"Somewhere, on the long road that wound through those four years, the girl with her sachet and dancing slippers, had slipped away, and there was left a woman with sharp green eyes, who counted pennies and turned her hands to many menial tasks, a woman to whom nothing was left from the wreckage, except the indestructible red earth on which she stood."

`Gone With The Wind' will appeal to readers for so many different reasons. I highly recommend it!

~ Jan Reid - J M Lennox
on September 19, 2017
Being from the south, it had long shamed me that I had never seen the movie 'Gone with the Wind.' So, I decided it was finally time to see what all the fuss about the movie/novel was about. This book is best described in one word as classic. It is very well written, and yes, it is a rather long book, but it is so well written that you may find yourself lost within the pages and that time passes much quicker than you realize! I could hardly put it down. It is slightly hard to get into at first, but once you have established yourself into the first few chapters of the book, Scarlett's charmingly and brutally truthful personality reels you in. I would definitely a hundred times over recommend this book to anyone and everyone. For sure my favorite book.
on November 21, 2016
Classic Book. Never really understood the period of reconstruction and causes / conditions that helped give rise to such things as KKK. Certainly a very simple, one-sided view. But one that nonetheless was provided some context. Recommend it for anyone wanting a good read. Scarlet was hard character to like!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.