Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 608 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,253 reviews
on April 20, 2017
No wonder this book is a classic. We read it for our Book Club this past Monday. Everybody was very impressed in how the impact of the famine and Wang Lung's attachment and love for his land resonates in every culture and country. We felt sorry for O Lan who devoted her life to her husband and his dream of keeping his piece of land and later helping him acquire more land. She bore stoically three boys and two "slaves" (girls) without ever complaining
on August 28, 2017
Didn't really like this book when I was forced to study it as a literature text in school. Re-reading it as an adult, I can appreciate it a lot more. May seem strange that I like the book at this time in my life that I have re-discovered a love for gardening and planting vegetables organically. Everything comes from and leads back to the earth. It is such a challenge to get vegetable seeds to sprout. I cannot imagine what a huge challenge farmers in the old days faced. The environment, the fact that the land doesn't even belong to you and you have to work it. It is pure hard work.
There is such a close relationship between man and land that we have forgotten in our everyday lives.
The only thing I take issue is, the book sets up the wrong expectations of what a "good woman is". How can O Lan be an accurate portrayal of what the women of those times were like? She is like a superwoman to a ridiculous extent. Giving birth and going back to till the land, plus cooking dinner, all in the same afternoon?!!
The plot is also somewhat depressing. In the end, wealth cannot buy happiness. And a woman can be perfect, but if she has big feet and is not good at conversation, somehow, men still go for the coquettish types who can sweet-talk?
on May 10, 2015
I am a well-read male, sixty-five years old. I have read perhaps a thousand books in my lifetime; some fiction, some non-fiction. I recall setting down The Good Earth as a teenager after turning the last page and thinking, “This is the greatest book I have ever read”.

I purchased The Good Earth on Kindle recently because it was $3.00 and I recalled it having an effect on me. It moved me as it did fifty years before. It is simply, and yet powerfully written, stirring the same emotions in me as it did before. As I re-read it, I kept reminding myself “This is just fiction about Chinese peasants”. But it is far more than that. Much as Shakespeare transcends the sixteenth century to tell stories about people, so Pearl S. Buck transcends the foreign mores and privation of turn-of-the-twentienth century China in telling her spellbinding story.

This may still be the best book I have ever read. The Good Earth was then, and remains now, a classic of English literature.
on March 27, 2017
This is a reread, or re-reread for me. It is set in rural China before the revolution, and follows the life of a farmer and his family. It's a wonderful character study that has universal appeal.
on July 25, 2017
I found it strange that a lady writer could so completely capture the stages of a man's life. This should be mandatory reading for every high school student, especially the males! Interesting plot, with plenty of poignant moments to ponder. I highly recommend it!
on July 18, 2017
Well written story about a poor farmer in the late 1800s/early 1900s in rural China. The moral of the novel can be applied to all cultures. The author's writing style is very convincing; it was difficult to stop once the reader opened the first page. I highly recommend this book.
on July 24, 2012
The Good Earth should be required reading in every American school. At a time when so many young people seem to believe the world owes them a living, the quiet and heroic efforts of a farming family from the early years of 20th Century China serve as a reminder of real courage and the value of work and frugality. In addition, the difficult lives of girls born into poor Chinese families provides stark illustrations on the tremendous freedoms and privileges enjoyed by Western girls throughout the last century and especially today.

There is nothing sugar-coated in the images provided by Pearl Buck. The author gives names and faces to Chinese people and provided an honest, human view of life. Without question, this work by the author caused many Americans to come to the aid of China as it was assaulted by the immoral and inhuman forces of the Empire of Japan beginning in 1931. I recommend this haunting book to everyone with some sense of decency and historical reality.
on July 18, 2017
A true classic -- the use of language is genius. The characters - unforgettable from the start. I am reading the 2nd book in the trilogy
now - have to find out what happens to this family. I can see why Ms Pearl S. Buck won the Nobel Prize for Literature --first American Woman -
on July 3, 2017
I remember my Mom reading Pearl S. Buck books when I was a kid so I was curious about "The Good Earth" when I came across it on sale for my Amazon Kindle. It is an excellent read. I can't wait to read "Sons".
on July 24, 2017
She was one great ladies of literature and an American but more importantly an Asian of western extraction. There is much to be learned here and even more to be appreciated for a lifetime!