Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on January 24, 2013
I completely agree with the previous reviewer who said the content of this book is unrealistic for most. I read the entire book because I kept waiting for some practical advice and yet found none. As a busy mom, that's a waste of my time and that angers me, I wish I could get my money back, quite frankly.

Essentially, their "advice" is to do whatever you need to do to find the right balance. What does that mean exactly, you ask? Well, you should job share, or work part-time, or work as a consultant (like these things are SO EASY to find) and of course, hire a nanny, a maid, and a laundry service. Not helpful. At all.

These authors are so out of touch with reality that they actually seem to think that the majority of women have professional degrees, live in an urban area and worked for 10 years before having kids and that's just not true. No, I'm not a 40-year-old lawyer, doctor, big time journalist or professor living in LA. But I'd say I'm pretty normal- I have a college degree and a full-time professional job, I own my home and have 2 nice vehicles, I'm not in debt. But guess what? Where I live (a town of 130,000 in the Midwest) it is NOT a common practice to have a nanny or a maid, let alone a laundry service. In fact, I don't think you could even find a full-time personal nanny or a laundry service! I would kill for this "mommy track" they act like everyone has access to, but it doesn't exist here, and I don't think I'm alone. Job sharing is unheard of, while part-time options include Starbucks, the mall or working as a teller at a local bank. And that's ridiculous and what I was looking for were some ways to do something about that, but this book was unfortunately no help.

I think their survey is flawed and the nonstop talk about the debate centered around the title of the book is annoying. If you're a normal American woman looking for some practical suggestions when it comes to balancing work and motherhood, look somewhere else. Anywhere else. Trust me.
on April 21, 2011
I read this book in 3 days after hearing one of the authors speak at a conference on work-life balance. *Finally* someone has addressed the real issues that plague me and most of my mom friends these days -- and it's NOT whether to work f.t. or stay home w/ our kids. Questions like: Why, when we have so many choices, are most of us still struggling? When the real world isn't as clear-cut as working or staying home with your kids, where are all the role models who are successfully navigating the in-between? And why do so many of us feel like we're going it alone?

Instead of the same old stuff you always hear in the media about the importance of finding balance, blah, blah, (what does that even MEAN?) in this book you actually hear from real women themselves -- in all sorts of work situations and some of whom were SAHMs at one point -- about specific choices, challenges, and solutions. Throughout the book I kept thinking, "So it's not just me! I'm not the only who struggles w/ X. I'm not the only one who thinks Y."

I think this is a must-read book for any mom who's trying to figure out what "having it all" really means for her and her family.
on April 26, 2011
I finished this phenomenal book this afternoon, after scrambling to help my daughters get their homework done early so that my mom could take them to out to dinner while I worked for three hours (whew!). Amidst getting everyone else squared away and starting on my work, I had the book in my hand, as well as the knowledge - the certainty - that there were so many other women doing their own versions of this daily juggling act JUST LIKE ME.

For then and for however much longer, that was - is - my "good enough." And it feels great.

I think one of the most important lessons I took away from Good Enough is that motherhood is a PROCESS, one that is constantly evolving and growing to fit our changing kids and changing personal needs and dreams.

I also greatly appreciate the overall message that there is no single "right" way, and that sometimes, you have to pause and enjoy your life, rather than constantly obsessing about career v. kids v. career v. kids. For instance, Becky and Hollee have motivated me to redo my art website - but they have also motivated me to take a break and sit down from time to time and not worry if I haven't redone my art website. Sometimes it's just enough to breathe and recharge!

Thank you, Becky and Hollee, for this most vital and beautiful resource for all of us.
on April 14, 2011
"Good Enough Is the New Perfect" inspired me from the very first page. At first, I wasn't sure it would be for me, because though I used to have a demanding and successful career, I have chosen to stay home with my young daughter. Not being a "working mother", I wasn't sure what I'd get out of this book. But what I realized immediately as I started reading, is that all mothers take so much upon our shoulders, whether or not we are working full-time, working in an office, working from home, or even choosing to be "stay at home moms". The guilt and the need to achieve "perfection" in all aspects of our lives can really drag us down. I know I feel that way all the time, and it's so good to realize that I am not alone.

I love how this book begins... "This is not a book about settling". And it's true. It's a book that reminds women that each of us can achieve our own "new perfect". We need to stop judging each other, and especially judging ourselves, because what works for one woman and her family isn't going to work for another. Finding balance certainly isn't always easy, and the authors readily admit that, but the incredible women profiled in this book show us how we can find our own peace and a working balance between our responsibilities, our passions, and our families. The stories the authors and their subjects share are personal, sometimes painful, often triumphant -- and something I believe all women can relate to. This book makes me want to be a better mother, a better wife, and a better contributor to my society -- and not because I feel I'm falling short, but because I know now what is possible, and I know there's a community of women out there doing the same things and none of us have to be alone.
on June 7, 2017
This book has a good basic premise: that you can't have it all but you can have what's most import if you know what that is. It's not as research-heavy as some other work-life books, but it was worth the time to read.
on December 13, 2016
I am living in Europe country, where several years of maternity leave is a must. This book was very empovering for me, even though it didnt offer specific advice, but more on showing examples and encourage women to find their own way. I would definitely recommend this book for every women, who want to care for their children but also fulfil themselves in other areas of life.
on April 25, 2011
I don't do self-help books.

I feel like I should throw that out there because it speaks volumes about what I'm about to tell you.... I don't do self-help books; I hate non-fiction, for the most part; and documentaries, as much as I'd like to be all high-brow and love them, make me sleepy. I like my books and my movies full of fantasy, adventure, and romance and above all else, I want them to be 92% fake. At all times.

So at first, when Hollee Temple told me about the book she and Becky Gillespie wrote on modern day motherhood, "Good Enough is the New Perfect: Finding Happiness and Success in Modern Motherhood," I was skeptical. This was a book that was about my life; why did I want to sit down and read a book about my life? There would be no romance, no humor, no excitement... it was just some dry book about how much it sucks being a working mother, right?

Oh. So. Wrong.

Guys? This book is amazing.

You know how when you were growing up, you were told you could have it all as a woman? You know how you pictured your life being all white picket fences with two kids blowing bubbles in the yard while you stood and smiled with your slightly taller and oh-so-handsome husband? And then you'd both go off to your jobs and you'd have this awesome career that worked with your motherhood?

Oh, and then remember when you became a wife and a mother and a career woman and you didn't remember sleep deprivation and daycare as being part of your childhood equation?

Yeah.

This book? It's about that. It's about what comes after the Motherhood plus career equal sign. It's about making your life, just the way it is, equal happiness. It's brutally honest without being brutal to read. The book mixes humor and frailty and glaring honesty to paint a picture of what all of us career woman are *REALLY* going through on a daily basis. And then, just when you find yourself nodding and saying "Yes EXACTLY! That's exactly how I feel!" it starts to provide you with real life solutions that worked for real life women. Ultimately, the underlying theme of the book is just what the title says... being happy being good enough is the key to finding success as a modern, working (or non-working) mother.

I will admit that I skipped the chapter about being a good enough wife because I just couldn't take it. I read a bit of it and when I found myself feeling like a total failure in my own marriage, I had to skip on to the next part. But the rest of the book? I loved. It made me think about why I stress myself out over things like having a spotless house and being the best of the best at my job. It made me realize that I need to take a few more moments to breathe and to worry less about being, well, perfect. Because ultimately, we're all in this together... we're all just women trying to make this work for us and for our spouses and our kids. We're all just trying to make this work.

Partially from reading this book on finding new ways to make my life work without striving for constant perfection, I went out and found a new job.... and got a divorce. No, kidding about the divorce part... but as you all may have known, my job was not working for me as a mother. There was so much travel and so many long hours and I just couldn't do it and be the kind of mother I wanted to be.

After reading "Good Enough is the New Perfect: Finding Happiness and Success in Modern Motherhood," I realized that I didn't have to make that lifestyle and career fit me... I could find a career that fit me better and as a result, I could be happier in my home life. So later this week, I'll step back into my heels and head into a new office. This one is on the other side of the law, which means no more long travel, no more billable hours, and no more feeling like my life boils down to numbers on a time sheet. It's a start, right? And honestly, this is the kind of book you can go back and read and re-read. Like the chapter on the Best Laid Plans? Yeah, I may have read that a few times since my husband announced he wanted a divorce.

I don't say this lightly... This book is a life changer. It's one of those things you sit down and read a chapter or two of and think "Why am I running myself ragged?? These women are RIGHT!" and then you do something... even if it's a small something... to implement some better choices for yourself. When I find something like this book (which was provided to me for free to review), I want to share it with the world. My mother read a few chapters and fell in love. My friends have asked to borrow it.

You want to read this book... seriously... you do. Look, when I got this book, I was in a marriage I didn't know was bad; I was miserable; I was working a job that didn't fit me, and did I mention I was miserable? I'm not saying this book has magical qualities, but what I am saying is that I read it about two months ago when I was so miserable that the only thing that made any sense to me was giving up on everything... and now I'm living in a house I love, in a familiar town, with a brand new, no billable hour job, and without the husband who was making everything more difficult. So... maybe it is a touch magic? :)
on April 20, 2011
I'll admit, I haven't even finished the book yet, but I can tell you, it's GOOD. It's the kind of good that makes you think about your life, and wonder, where am I being too hard on myself? Could I give up some of my perfectionism for happiness, not only for me, but those I love?

Becky and Hollee's stories will ring true for every woman who works and has children, or a life outside of work. You'll find yourself connecting, feeling for them, and smiling as you follow their journey.
on June 26, 2013
Wonderful resource for working mothers! The books is very well written. It tells stories of several women facing challenges on how to juggle family and work. The authors also conducted a survey on this topic and share the results. There are some good ideas and advice on how to find more balance.
on October 1, 2011
I've been a working mom for 17 years and have been striving for perfection at various times. Teetering between the two worlds has often been very difficult. After reading Good Enough Is the New Perfect I was so happy to see others reframing their definition of perfectionism. I loved it so much that I sent a copy to my sisters for Mother's Day.
It's an excellent book and should be given to every new mom!