Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Microwave Cookbook
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on August 10, 2006
The 1990 edition of this book features 1800+ color photographs, which--dispersed over 400 pages--is a lot. With all the well-prepared photographs, you'll never be confused about a utensil, dish, or cooking process being described.

Among the many sections of the book, the notable ones include:

* Microwave Know-How - This informative section has pages on microwave features and anatomy, suitable microwave cookware, effects of microwaving on foods, arrangement, covering, and browning techniques, microwave care, and other tips.

* The Color Index - This abridged photographic reference includes a photo and short description for each of the numerous key recipes, with about 7 entries per page. If you don't know what to cook, you can quickly flip through these 71 pages to find a dish that looks interesting.

* Appetizers, Soups, Eggs/Cheese, Fish/Shellfish, Poultry, Meat, Vegetables/Salads, Pasta/Grains/Nuts, Breads/Sandwiches, Fruits/Desserts, Cakes/Cookies/Candies, Pies/Tarts, Preserves/Sauces - The bulk of the book--the 500+ recipes--is divided into these 13 sections. In addition to the ingredients and procedures, almost all recipes include information on the serving count, calorie count, preparation time, and which vitamins and minerals are abundant in the dish. Most recipes also have step-by-step photographs or an image of the finished product. Some recipes have tables that provide cooking information for different serving amounts.

* The Index - This lets you search recipes by title or ingredient.

The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Microwave Cookbook is a great reference book for both recipes and information on microwave cooking.
on April 14, 2000
This is the best microwave cookbook. You search pictures to decide what meals to cook. They are categorized by time, so on workdays you can pick meals that take less time to cook. I find it much easier to plan a menu looking at pictures than trying to read through pages of recipes. The meals are awesome! (Try the Pork Jambalaya - you'll fall in love!)
on April 29, 2008
This is the best microwave cook book I have seen. Makes best use of the microwave without trying to use it for things that are better done in traditional ways. It tells you when to use traditional methods for some parts of recipes. Has suggestions for adapting traditional recipes to cook in the microwave. Blends microwave and traditional cooking to best results.

Some of the features:
Color pictures of every finished recipe presented beautifully.
Best Microwave know-how I have seen including appropriate cookware.

Step by step instructions.
Some recipes have options for 4, 2, or 1 servings
Twenty-five menu plans for delicious meals, some quick, Party, outdoor, some for entertaining or celebrating,
including step by step, day by day, hour, and minute schedule, to complete the meal and have everything ready when you want to serve it...
It tells you which things to do ahead, and when to start each recipe, where each recipe is in the book, in an orderly way.

Includes cooking guides for various veggies and fruits.

This book is one of the most useful & practical cook books I have.
The pictures are eye-candy, that demonstrates beautiful presentation ideas as well.

I wouldn't be without it!
on January 27, 2015
This is one of the most valuable cookbooks I own, along with a small assortment of other microwave cookbooks, for one reason: Southern California. If you've ever lived here, you know how hot it gets in the summer. If not, I envy you. When the weather turns here, cooking traditionally becomes untenable, as the heat in the kitchen builds up, spills out, and fills the house. With the microwave, on the nights we can tolerate warm food, we can produce quality meals in about a fourth of the time with very little heat loss. This cookbook, like my others, was written with low wattage microwaves. I happen to own a 750W myself, but if you own a higher wattage, just remember to scale down the power based on your wattage. These recipes were crafted around 700W so I just go full power but if you have a 1000W, take it down to 70%, and so on.

As to what makes this great, Good Housekeeping is always great when it comes to recipes so I'll be specific to this book in particular. Other than being a microwave cookbook which is rare and wonderful, this book has a lot of pictures, something many cookbooks don't have nowadays. For that alone, it is better than most. When you add in that the food actually turns out as promised and tastes good, it is all the better.

Good luck in making your choice.
on February 9, 2014
The recipes were developed for the older 600W-700W microwaves so I just play with the percentages on my microwave and the recommended time. My microwave is 1250W so if I bake at 60% or 70% the recipes work. They are good tried and true recipes with step by step how-to directions and pictures. Also menu ideas for special occasions. I am enjoying it. Good buy.
on February 7, 2016
This book is amazing. The simple of uses are over the top. The pictures and the details go on and on. I never knew you could make everything in a microwave. This is the best cook book I have ever had. I can even use it as a regular cook book if I want to. The weight and quality of this book just alone is worth it. It is an easy read but a hard one to stop. I expected just a small regular quick print but I was shocked. Every page is glossy and so detailed and big.It was for a gift but not now. I will be keeping this forever. It's that good! The price does not reflect this book at all. It is really is a high top quality cookbook. I can now make anything in a microwave, not just popcorn or reheating something. I had no idea that one third could even be done in a microwave. Good housekeeping I thought was just a magazine and that was pretty much what I was expecting. Boy was I
I wrong big time! Some of the recipes that I love I can't even fined in a restaurant. I am going to try each one at a time. It is from morning to night and deserts to top it off. The uses are unlimited. Don't wait because when they realize how much this could be worth then this price is going way up. We all need this. Get it now, I'm not kidding you. Single or not it doesn't it matter because it's fool proof. With all of the pictures you can't mess it up. And I can mess up everything but not anymore! As you can see I can't stop raving about it. I can't wait to show everyone I know.
and where to find it. Nice job Good House Keeping.
on November 24, 2015
If you've ever wished you could produce fancy high-quality gourmet foods with a microwave in under 30 minutes (from when you start until it's ready), then this is the book for you.

The index has images of every dish, and it sorts them into categories of "appetizers", "desserts", "meats", etc. Then each category is split by the total time each dish takes to prepare/complete, starting with "under 30 minutes", then "30 to 60 minutes", etc. It also gives you all kinds of useful stuff inside the cover, like unit measurement conversions and common substitutions.

Additionally, it has numerous sections on microwaving tips/techniques and how you can prepare various things in there properly (like there's a whole thing about vegetables, and it tells you how to cook each one specifically).

The quality of the book is pretty impressive. A lot of time, effort, and testing clearly went into making it. It was certainly worth the purchase.
on April 6, 2014
This book is illustrated with pictures of how the dish should look. Easy recipes to prepare. List of ingredients are clear and recipe instructions are easy to understand even for a novice.
on January 14, 2013
This book (with a ka'zillion photos) was sorta, kinda hard to follow. Maybe way too much detail for the 'average' person just trying to par-cook (zap) chicken before a bbq or properly soften a bun. Or how about just some recipes? Don't get me wrong, this book is 'very' thorough, just a bit too much for me.....
on March 17, 2014
This book helps a lot when you are not a good cook and need to rely largely on the microwave.