Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,960 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,176 reviews
on January 4, 2017
My 2017 New Year’s resolution is to watch movies I missed in the theater but still wanted to see years later. This was second on the list, and needs to be on everyone’s list. The plot line of a minimally educated young janitor (Will Hunting played by Matt Damon) solving advanced linear algebra problems on Harvard chalkboards may not sound appealing, but rest assured that you can relate to this movie. We all sat next to that high school classmate who aced exams after barely studying. Although we hated that guy, we can’t hate Will Hunting because of his tortured past that you can’t fully understand until the end of the movie.

Robin Williams appears in the movie later than expected, and his role is understated but critically important. Knowing that we can no longer see new movies from this brilliant actor, it’s even more important not to miss his surprising and heartbreaking role.

It’s easy to take Ben Affleck for granted because of his role as Will Hunting’s smart-Alec friend. But one of the best scenes in the movie is initiated by Affleck when he angrily tells Will to make something of himself because so few people have the opportunities invited by Will’s rare gift. This prompts the sad-but-happy scene at the end of the movie when Will decides to change.

Minnie Driver makes the most of her script, but her character is a caricaturized female mess when Will refuses to move with her to California. The screenwriters could have done better by presenting a believable female Harvard scholar with her own complicated dimensions.

Classic movie that you will appreciate for different reasons at different times in your life.
on July 18, 2017
Beautiful movie. Not sure how this one slipped by! Although its almost two decades ago when this movie came out I somehow thought I had seen it. It turns out I haven't seen it. Very good movie, great story-line and superb acting by Matt Damon and Robin Williams. Robin Williams nails every movie that he ever made with believable acting abilities. And of course I love the Affect brothers...Ben and Casey. This movie really made me think about my own life and how a person can avoid relationships. love and opportunities because of painful memories from the past. Its only in getting help, compassionate people who care and taking a chance that one can truly step out of the past and into the future and its possibilities. This truly spoke to me on many levels. One of the best movies that I have seen in awhile.. Perfect timing and a true classic that pertains to present day life.
on February 12, 2017
It took a bit of time to hook me but as the story and characters developed I was sold. This movie came out 20 years ago and I've just now watched it. I wouldn't go as far as to call this a classic of film but the depth of involvement and humanity, the reality of interpersonal relationships, and the acting and interplay of Damon and Williams could only be described as masterful. Two of their scenes moved me to tears which is saying a lot coming into a film where I was predisposed to picking it apart. No wonder Matt Damon is a household name. Definitely a recommended viewing.
on March 12, 2017
Watched this with my 13 year old son and was taken aback by the vulgar language. But all in all it was a good movie. My son had spent the weekend at the #2 building at MIT so he loved seeing the formulas written on the blackboards in the movie. The next day after watching this we saw Hidden Figures, another great "math" movie. Our weekend was complete!
on September 1, 2013
As you can probably guess, Robin Williams's performance as Matt Daman's therapist is my personal highlight of this great film. Well, you'd be right about that. But Robin Williams's performance is merely the top of my list. Few people know that the original script for this film focused on a math genius going to work for the government. Well, some brilliant Hollywood type told Matt Daman and Ben Affleck to rework the story so that it focuses on the character of Will Hunting and his life in South Boston..."brilliant" is an understatement. This idea is what made this movie great. No, if there had been just a little less swearing (maybe skip a sentence or so when you spew out that stuff during the conversations) and I'd give it a perfect score...right now, it's a 4.9. But despite the constant foul-mouthed attitudes, I give it two thumbs up and it makes my Top 10 list at #4. So, go out and get it and enjoy it over and over again. Enjoy.
on August 1, 2015
I think this is a great movie to watch if you're looking for something to lift your spirits. This is a great movie about friendship, overcoming hardship, living up to your potential, and knowing that love is more important than all of the above. Matt Damon plays a troubled but brilliant youth. He is noticed by a university professor who takes him under his wing to teach him everything he could be capable of. Unfortunately, Damon has a history of violence and in order for the university professor (played by Skarsgard) to get him out of the system, Damon must consent to receiving counselling. Most counselors are scared away by Damon, as he seems to have the ability to turn the tables on all of his psychiatrists. That is until he meets Dr. Maguire, who has been through hardships of his own. Maguire won't give up on the kid (Damon) and the two become friends. Dr. Maguire helps Damon see what is important in life and to move on from his troubled past. A great and inspirational movie.
on March 26, 2014
This film depicts empathy between men in a way where the men involved both grow in their lives as a result of what they experienced through the bond of empathy. That is what makes it a five star film. Clearly those who gave it a one star rating have missed the point and don't "get" the empathy connection at all. I will be using this film to screen friends who come into my life to see if they understand the empathy component in the movie or not before I allow anyone to get close to me EVER again. Narcissists and people with various mental illnesses miss it entirely and I would rather know early on what kind of person I am dealing with.
on March 16, 2017
Really enjoy this movie. One of Matt Damon's earliest movies and seems a bit unbelievable except that I knew someone who had similar skills and genius. Robin Williams is excellent and shows great acting talent. We already knew he was a terrific comedian.
on March 15, 2016
This movie is about acting Mat and Robin really do fine the spark between them in this movie. And its all of the actors playing very good parts and feeding off each other. Yes, other well made movies but this and a few more are the last of great movies. Thanks for adding this movie and I'd sit down and watch this again.
on September 7, 2016
This movie is a classic. I continue to watch it. Many of the scenes are considered to be the best in modern movie history. The breakup scene will make an emotional wreck out of most people. If you don't feel something, you're not human.