Truck Season Automotive Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Good Life Wasted: Or Twenty Years As A Fishing Guide
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 4, 2017
This book is one that we have read more than once. It is an easy reader with situations that are understood best by those that have lived a Guide's life (even as a guides wife) and leave you in stitches. It is a breath of fresh air and gives non guides a glimpse into the world. Recommended for anyone that wants to get their head out of the city and into a simpler yet more fulfilling adventure (life). Enjoy.
on February 10, 2015
I enjoyed Mr. Ames writing. He's a good story teller with "gonzo" style. The man loved his trout fishing and the beautiful Montana surroundings without being preachy or pretentious about it all.
on May 16, 2011
If you enjoy fishing and are of an intellectual bent, you might thoroughly enjoy the author's tale of throwing away a boring (if solid) career in favor of pursuit of happiness through fly-fishing and guiding.

The tales strike multiple chords and share experiences gleaned from the wild west.
on February 1, 2017
nuff said
on October 28, 2010
I picked up this one on a recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. Dave Ames is such a wonderful story teller, I savored the last few chapters as I didn't want it to end. His characters are truly characters. Not just for fisherman/women. I wound up reading several passages to my wife who, quickly engaged, encouraged me to finish the chapter. Just get it...you won't regret it. Highly recommended!
on August 3, 2016
Great Book. I recommend it.
on February 26, 2013
This is a great book and I enjoyed reading it as I thought I might. It's interesting to find out about the life of a fishing guide and then with the included adventures, makes it even more fun reading. I will recommend this to my fishing friends.
on July 3, 2016
Very well done.
on March 15, 2014
A good read wasted is more like it. Totally misleading cover. Instead of taking you into the life of a flyfishing guide, he goes off on philosophical ramblings that make no sense, and short stories about characters that do not have much to do with the flyfishing guide trade. Was not what I expected or wanted to read.
on December 8, 2003
In A Good Life Wasted the author Dave Ames recounts his last twenty years as a fishing guide in the trout fishing capital of the universe, Montana. It is every true fly fisherman's dream to be reincarnated as a Montana fly fishing guide. As Ames aptly puts it in the opening line of the book, "With all my fingers and all my splayed toes I still can't count the number of millionaires who have wished out loud that they could be me."
They wouldn't wish it if they read on as Ames describes living in a rat infested trailer, bouncing checks and using a log in the great outdoors as a temporary outhouse until he can buy a toilet.
Ames' career begins as a hydrologist for the federal government who one day goes "postal" by punching a clock - literally. He bluffs his way into a job as a fishing guide working for a local Blackfoot Native American known affectionately as Kingfish. He plods his was through his early guiding days and his life becomes entangled in a contradictory world of haves and have nots.
The numerous stories Ames recounts meld seamlessly with each other and offer more lessons on life's moral and religious significance than on fishing.
Most books lose steam after the first couple of chapters - not this one. It becomes more intriguing and gets better as it goes. It is truly a page turner. The surest sign of a great book for me is when I am done do I tell myself I want more. The answer here is a resounding yes!
So, Mr. Ames, during the long Montana winters get cracking and put pen to pad and finger to keyboard and allow us to be temporarily reincarnated as you.
21 people found this helpful