|Print List Price:||$15.99|
Save $6.00 (38%)
Random House LLC
Price set by seller.
The Good News About Marriage: Debunking Discouraging Myths about Marriage and Divorce Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Consider how often you have heard someone say that the divorce rate is nearly 50%. However the divorce rate in our country is not this high. They write, "The actual divorce rate has never been 50 percent. It's significantly lower and has been declining over the last thirty years." (Feldhan & Whitehead, The Good News About Marriage. 2014) Not only that, but they also share research that most people who are married are in fact happily married. You wouldn’t have guessed that by listening to media reports or consulting the tabloids in your local grocery store. Shaunti and Tally also share the good news in their book that active faith is statistically proven to improve marriages.
The book is a fairly quick paced read even with the statistical information that they refer to often. It is optimistic in tone, but not overly Polly Anna. They recognize that there are still many marriages in trouble, but they also want to push back against those who have bought a lie that marriage is hopeless. This will be an excellent resource for any pastor or counselor that works with married couples, speaks about marriage, or counsels those preparing for marriage. Do yourself a favor and read it before your next sermon on marriage. I did and was very grateful.
I purchased a copy of this text in Kindle format and read it on my iPad 2. The format was well done. The charts are readable and even the pull quotes were easy to identify. So many kindle books struggle with graphical elements and pull quotes, this publisher, Multnomah Books, gets it right!
So read this short easily digestible book and do away with these five demoralizing myths:
1. The actual divorce rate has never been close to 50 percent. It’s significantly lower and has been declining over the last thirty years.
2. Most marriages aren’t just so-so. The vast majority are happy.
3. The rate of divorce in the church is not the same as among the non-church going population. It too is significantly lower.
4. Remarriages aren’t doomed. A significant majority survive and thrive.
5. Most marriage problems aren’t caused by big-ticket issues, so being in a marriage, or fixing a troubled one, doesn’t have to be as complicated as people think. Little things can often make a big difference (Page 12 uncorrected proof).
The author is taking very complex information and helping the reader understand some easily misunderstood facts from the data. The author does a valuable service for her reader: “Both in these pages and FAQ section at the back off the book, we will provide a tutorial to help cut through the confusion and evaluate any reports you may see in the future” (Page 21 uncorrected proof).
There is a hefty FAQ section at the end of the book that helps to reader to “delve more deeply into some of the technical issues of the research” and “answer the ‘But what about…? Questions that have frequently been asked” (Page 137 uncorrected proof).Read more ›
Unfortunately, many of the statistics about marriage and divorce that are prevalent in our culture destroy hope. Fifty percent of all marriages end in divorce, we’re told. For second and third marriages, the divorce rate is even higher: 60 and 73 percent, respectively. Few couples are satisfied with their marriages. Though Christians talk a good game about marriage and family, the reality of divorce and dissatisfaction is the same for them as for everyone else. Finally, making a marriage work requires bigger changes than most couples are willing to make.
The funny thing about these hope-destroying statistics is that they’re wrong, misleading, or both. Instead, as Shaunti Feldhahn and Tally Whitehead argue in their new book, there’s plenty of good news about marriage. Indeed, they identify five specific pieces of good news:
1. The vast majority of marriages last a lifetime; the current divorce rate has never been close to 50 percent—it is closer to 20 to 25 percent for first-time marriages and 31 percent for all marriages—and has been declining for years (p. 39).
2. The vast majority of marriages are happy (around 80 percent)! Most people are glad they married their spouse and, given the chance, would do it all over again (p. 61).
3. The rate of divorce in the church is 25 to 50 percent lower than among those who don’t attend worship services, and those who prioritize their faith and/or pray together are dramatically happier and more connected (p. 86).
4.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is such an important book, because so often couples are tempted to "throw in the towel" if they believe they only have a 50/50 chance of making their marriage work and... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Chris Randazzo
This is much needed information and encouragement to debunk the myth that marriage is an archaic institution. It is not. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Patrick Fisher
Excellent book very encouraging. A must read for every couple thinking of marriage .Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer
Great Book! A must read. The importance of understanding the real stats is important.Published 5 months ago by Nathan
This is an excellent, hope filled resource that I am sharing with couples all of the time. My husband & I lead a marriage ministry and this information has been so helpful in... Read morePublished 5 months ago by Jennifer G. Marion
I really was not going to buy this book...so glad I humbled myself and did!
My facial expressions in the train when reading this has to be amusing to others. Read more
If you're married, or you help married couples in any capacity, you need to read this book ASAP! Let's start a revolution of encouragement for marriage.Published 8 months ago by myron powell
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Dating & Relationships
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Marriage
- Books > Religion & Spirituality
- Books > Self-Help > Relationships > Marriage
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Relationships > Marriage
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Dating & Relationships
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Marriage