Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,017 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,808 reviews
on May 28, 2014
The Perfect Summer Read

Are you looking for a fun, quirky book to read? Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witchby Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is an oldie but goody.

If it’s an oldie, why write a review?

Because I keep running into people who haven’t read this gem, and most of all, because I love this book. The satire is at once silly and hysterical with some honest-to-goodness wit thrown into the mix. It’s a zany romp that only the young at heart should take. There’s enough British wit and humor to satisfy anyone who likes that sort of thing, and it’s genuinely crazy enough to amuse most people. If you’re a Douglas Adams fan, well, then you’ve probably read Good Omens.

Warning: if you have no sense of humor or if you hate silly, stop reading this review.

Brief Summary:

Satan and God have a huge problem: the Antichrist has gone missing, and they need him for the apocalypse. It turns out that when the lad was born, some evil nuns gave him to the wrong couple, and he grew up in a sleepy English suburb. Expect for his untapped “evil” power, he’s an ordinary kid rather like Kevin McCallister, the kid in Home Alone .

Because they happen to like earth and don’t want it destroyed, Aziraphale (an angel) and Crowley (a demon) team up to stop the apocalypse; they are much like a British version of the Odd Couple who are trying to save the world from inevitable doom—Crowley, of course, lives life wildly and fully, while Aziraphale is quiet and refined. While everyone (God, Satan, angels, demons, and humans) searches for the Antichrist, the Four “Bikers” of the Apocalypse gather. And, yes, the Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch are important.

Pratchett and Gaiman have created a diverse and eccentric cast of characters. The impending doom is told through multiple points of view as everyone races to save or destroy the world. As any reader would expect, they all come crashing together at the end of the book.

Why do I like it?

This may be one of the funniest books I’ve read. First, Pratchett and Gaiman turn the story of the apocalypse inside-out, then, they turn it sideways, and finally, they manage to make the end of the world riotous and entertaining. Along the way, they poke and prod at the ordinary, the crass, and the sacred.

I’ll admit there is a great deal of silliness about the book, and some of the motifs have been used before, but Gaiman and Pratchett take those motifs and spin them with enduring flare. After all, the book was published in 1990 and is still going strong.

I’m always excited when someone I know reads Good Omens for the first time.

So my friend, take a break from the real world, put aside all serious thoughts, get comfortable, and read this delicious book.
on January 29, 2017
A good read, but for some rough spots which seemed rushed. Perhaps having too many story lines operating at the same time detracted from the flow.
on March 26, 2017
So many cults these days, or is it that an 'have always been' instead, tell of the dire ends of the world being at hand. It is rather nice to read a humorous tongue in cheek version.
on January 2, 2014
Okay, anyone who has seen the movie Conspiracy Theory remembers the lead character, Jerry (Mel Gibson), a victim of CIA brainwashing and LSD experiments, would compulsively purchase "Catcher in the Rye" whenever he was near a bookstore. Unlike Jerry, who never actually read the book, I have read "Good Omens:..." several times. The reason I buy it so many times is that my copies always disappear! I loan them to friends, and they disappear; I show them to friends while we are sitting around the living room watching a flick or ball game, and they disappear; I also purchase multiple copies to give to the Episcopal priests in my life (my wife and I are Episcopalians), so I sometimes make them disappear on purpose!

It's just that good of a book!

If I am in control of the transaction, either as a loan or a gift, I always put a note and my name on one of the front pages asking anyone who has read this particular copy of the book to please sign it, and then pass it on. Recently one of those surfaced in a local Starbucks, in the hands of a total stranger; it was dog-eared, torn and taped together and had at least a dozen names in it.

It's just that good of a book!

I am not going to tell you anything about the plot—you can read the plot summary on Amazon or Wikipedia. I will say that if you've ever read any of Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series of books, you will immediately be familiar with the format of the book. Likewise, if you've ever read any of Neil Gaiman's comics, graphic novels or novels, you will immediately be familiar with his dark, comedic prose.

My last piece of advice: Although I have partaken of the Kindle Kool-Aid and rarely read a book in it's original, analog form (the only real paper books I own these days are of the coffee table variety), I must insist that you buy the paperback version of "Good Omens:...". You see, the authors have used Terry Prachett's wonderful technique of the footnote to flesh out the story, and these notes are at the bottom of each page, very near to the prose to which they refer. Indeed, some pages are almost all footnote. I cannot imagine the Kindle Reader handling this very well.

Buy the paperback book. Read it. You will not be disappointed. Then pass it on.

on May 23, 2016
Because of all of the footnotes, It does not work well on Kindles. There is no way of flipping back and forth between the text and the footnote, so the reader is left waiting until finishing the book (and in this case, finishing excerpts from a different book, about the author sections, and recommendation for other books) before reading the footnotes. By that point the context of the footnote has been forgotten.

The book was funny, and the characters were great. I always liked Terry Prachett's "chapter" structure of following different stories from seemingly random locations until all of the stories converge at the climax. I am not familiar with Neil Gaiman's other works, so I can't speak to how (dis)similar this book is from his oeuvre.

I will likely buy the hard copy of the book for my collection.
on March 13, 2017
Great book. This book has more of a Pratchett feel overall. Funny and well written as you'd expect. Not much more too say.
on March 12, 2017
This is a great one!
on April 6, 2015
This book was very thought provoking as well as entertaining. A fast read. (Spoiler Alert) As a Christian and a Latter-day Saint, the idea that the Anti-Christ, if raised as a normal child, would use his moral agency to elect NOT to bring about the "end of the world" as we know it, was fascinating. Moral agency is a gift from God to all of His children, and left to our own devices, we can choose good or evil, serve God and obey His commandments and be happy, or serve Satan and live with those consequences. I found this book to be less funny than I was told it would be because the subject matter is so very real to me. If you are looking for entertainment and a good laugh, you will probably be amused by this book and its premise. I you are a more serious thinking person, you will find this book very thought provoking indeed.
on June 24, 2016
Wow...very much verbal overflow. Terry Pratchett has some great books...this isn't one of them. I liked the premise (no spoilers) of good vs. evil....but evil and good minions like the status quo more than doing what the big guys want.
It's just waaaaay too wordy...it's like I was reading Lord of the Rings again...good story with about 40% too many pages.
I first read "Good Omens" more than 20 years ago when it first came out. I was very impressed, and enjoyed the warped humor and the casual British style of writing that came from the authors. It was nominated for several fantasy awards at the time, and was unlike anything I had read up to then (1991). It still holds up well, other than a handful of references that were very much of the era and I had to google to remind myself of the subjects. A great book for those who still like book clubs... and just about everyone else. Recommended.