BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 5, 2014
The quality of the sound on these Blu-Ray High-Fidelity Audio albums is amazing. It is so much clearer and beautiful than the compressed sound of CD and MP3 downloads. Hell, it even gives vinyl a run for its money!

For the remastering of Elton John's classic album, I can certainly tell a difference in the quality of the Blu-Ray and the mp3 download (a code is included) really shows the difference. The Blu-Ray version of Candle in the Wind made me legitimately cry, and the quality of the sound on this version really brings out the power and character of this Marylin Monroe tribute (imagine the tears I'd shed if the 1997 version for Princess Diana made it to Blu-Ray Audio!). I won't lie, Bennie and the Jets used to bore me to death. However, on this Blu-Ray iteration, the song really came to life. I felt like I was actually a part of the audience heard cheering during the song!

All in all, the work as a whole really comes out in the Blu-Ray version. The library of available Blu-Ray Audio albums is still generally small, but hopefully more works become available to this new format. I pray that this becomes the dominant way in which people listen to music in their homes (certainly a daunting task, due to the immense popularity of digital downloads). I hope to compare and review many of the other BR albums currently available, such as John Lennon's "Imagine" and Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way."
on August 15, 2015
I was in high school when this album came out. Still sounds amazing, even better now. The extra bonus includes new artists with their own renditions of Elton John's hits. Bernie and the jets by Miguel is outstanding. A good album to any collection. He is so talented and at the top of his game in this one. I have Elton John's hits but you need to listen to his other music to get a real feel of his talent.
on December 31, 2015
Elton's archetypical album gets the royal treatment it deserves. The remastered sounds tremendous, as does the live performance at the Hammersmith Odeon. Both are worth the price of the set alone, along with the DVD, which is a nice historical document of the era. The demos and B cuts also are nice if you don't already have them, although I suspect most Elton fans own them already. Finally, the "revisited" versions from current day artists are a nice tribute to Elton, although I'll admit I probably won't listen to them again. The hardcover booklet is a nice collectors piece as well. Overall, this is a worthy documentation for one of the great recordings of all time.
on July 30, 2012
Although I have an above average $$$$$ home theater system (Paradigm/Yamaha/Denon/Tascam) I never used my Sony Blu-Ray player's SACD ability, so I took a chance and ordered this from Amazon. Last night we had a couple of friends over, fired up the ginormous Lava Lamp (read that review as well), and hoped for the best.

OMG is an understatement! This was the best listening experience I've had in years-It brought tears to my eyes! (yes I was 12 when it first came out--I'm what the kids now like to call...old) The renewed clarity and punch of the drums alone was worth the price of admission. (no more muddy slapback snares and toms-the delays are CLEAN) Did I mention the acoustic guitars and Elton's planted vocals??? The remaster/remix engineer Greg Penny obviously loved what he was doing. Although there are a few "pan it here, then there...then ...there" moments for effect, overall they don't take away from a monumental experience.

There's always going to be debate as to "altering" the original, especially when that original is such a touchstone of rock and roll; Burned into your soul on your AM radio, or Ranger under-dash 8-track player with Jensen 6x9' 3-ways on the back deck, or your Koss 4AA headphones and Advent 3's with a Marantz 2225 receiver... which one of those was "real" and not altered from the original mix? None of them.

No instruments were re-recorded, added, or swapped out here-this amazing new version just painfully reaffirms that technology has far out paced true talent... and I'm personally for anything that brings such great music back into the modern conversation and my modern system...the only downside is I just spent $400 on more classic LP's on SACD, and I've decided to get rid of my one year old Yamaha A/V receiver I only bought to get HDMI and go with new 9.2 pre-amp/power amp separates for my A/V... but I'm grinning at the chance to hear what I've been missing...
on June 22, 2016
I have this on vinyl and standard CD. The album still sounds great but sometimes it's much easier to slide the CD in the player. Unfortunately, the CD lasts something that the album had. Well, the SACD sounds much better than the standard CD. If you don't have the album or just want to have the simplicity of putting on a CD, skip the standard version and buy this one if you have the audio equipment hat plays SACD, you won't be sorry.
on May 14, 2015
Awesome. Very nice sounding in this Blu-Ray format. Running it through a Yamaha RXV-2700 with Cerwin Vega 2 x 15" for front speakers, Cerwin Vega 1x12" rear channel speakers, and Klipsch center channel. Very pleased with this purchase and plan on many more of the surround Blu-ray audio format discs. A little pricey considering I've already had this album on cassette, vinyl, and CD over the years, but well worth it for the fantastic sound.
on September 25, 2015
As with Honky Chateau this mix is a little more aggressive in the surround levels than I would prefer. There's some good stuff here, with "Funeral for a Friend", "Candle in the Wind" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' being my favorites. The mix is quite bright but that will suit many tastes & rooms. I found myself skipping over every other song but there's at least an album's worth of good stuff here. all in all a sold release, but I'd recommend "Honky Chateau" over this (double) album.
on June 11, 2012
I ordered: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (w/ Bonus DVD) [Extra tracks, Hybrid SACD - DSD, Original recording remastered] but in fact I received this: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) [Extra tracks, Hybrid SACD - DSD, Original recording remastered].

I am assuming that the version with the bonus DVD (which I really wanted) is no longer in stock but Amazon never asked me, never checked to see if I would accept the substitute, they just the 30th anniversary CDs with no bonus DVD. The paperwork mentions the bonus DVD, they asked me to review it, but it is not what I ordered.

So please make sure you know what you are going to get from Amazon before you click the "buy" button!

The 3 stars is because the audio is great, the album a masterpiece, the extra tracks cool. But I sure would have liked the DVD.
on November 29, 2014
One of my all time favorite albums gets a remake for it's 40th year. It certainly didn't need it as the last special edition was already cleaned up rather nicely from its original state. Elton John's opus and masterpiece shines here, as it always has. All of the original tracks are remastered to perfection, even thgh I can't tell a difference from the last remastering.

The extra tracks are a nice touch, but even for this Elton John, fan, they can be a bit much if you listen to all in one sitting. I did enjoy the live versions of the songs and they brought out how well of a show man Elton is and always has been.

If you don't already have this album, this is a must purchase. If you already have the previous remastered version and don't want to hear extra songs like the live performances, then you can skip this version.
on September 26, 2014
I am not the biggest Elton John fan, but he and Taupin wrote a huge number of hits, he's a great singer and the band was killer.

I also know back in the days when this was recorded, these was no money spared in getting the most lush recordings possible, with huge custom built live rooms and fat 2" tape playing a big part in the sound.

So I bought this because I love great modern remastering of recordings of my youth, and I love 5.1 mixes. (if done with care)

This set did not disappoint! It is simply ear candy! I also enjoyed hearing some of the deeper cuts that I dont remember from the old days. There's a couple really strong songs that I think Elton should resurrect. I think they could be hits today!

If you like great recorded sounds, and in particular 5.1 music, this one is not to be missed