Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Goodnight Moon
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 9, 2017
I introduced this to my niece when she was about 15 months old, and she's been hooked from day one. She is now 3 years old. Her Mom and Dad work in the medical field, so she stays with me a lot on the weekends, and we use this book as a part of her bed time routine at our house. We have 3 copies: 1 for our house, 1 for the mini van, and one at her house. It's a great book!
review image
on February 8, 2018
"In the great green room..." This book, "Goodnight Moon" is such a wonderful book for little ones! The pictures are precious, the colors fantastic, and the rhyming cadence and repetition are all perfect for captivating young children. I read this to my oldest son when he was very young through toddler-hood and more years. Since I read it to him while I was pregnant, my next son would quiet and calm after he was born and I started to read it. This story was even used to make the transition from nursing to going to sleep on his own. This purchase is for the firstborn of a friend's child. I just couldn't resist!
on September 16, 2017
The was one of my daughter's favorite books growing up. We read it over and over together, always looking for the little mouse. Great memories!
on January 12, 2018
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I grew up reading it but didnt realize how much I loved it until I had my own baby. We read this every night before bed and she is just a small baby but she is definitely reading along, looks forward to it, touches the pictures, and it is just a great book! She is only 7 months but as she gets older I know she will love it even more when she can read it herself. The illustrations are great, the words are fun and I just love it. The board book is a great size too!
on August 17, 2017
My favorite early books for babies--I give them as gifts to new parents. I usually just give The Child's Garden of Verses but this gift went to immigrants from Vietnam and I wanted to give their baby a good start in English! I especially love the Brain Wildsmith hardcover version of A Child's Garden of Verse! I have the paperback version for myself, and it's good, but the illustrations in this hardcore version just POP off the page. I may have to indulge myself and get one for my grandkids. In fact, I'll do that now.
on December 26, 2006
"Goodnight Moon" succeeds beyond such sobriquets as "classic" or "perfect," for this work is that rarest achievement in art and letters: a melding of the visual with the sonic, and always presented in an atmosphere of intimacy and security. This provides a psychological construct for healthy learning that is imperative for a child's growing mind and emotional maturation. Only the Christmas Story of the Gospel of Luke, Chapter 2, is superior in Western literature in nurturing a child's introduction to mapping the world with words, built from visual clues. "Goodnight Moon" is an indispensable foundational work for a child's confident construct of the spoken, written and read English language. The dimension of emotional comfort invoked with this work cannot be overstated.

What makes this work so remarkable? In contrast to the mad world of Dr. Suess, where made-up words serve with legitimacy of ancient ones, the vocabulary of "Goodnight Moon" is normal. In addition, the rhyming scheme, the scansion, the subject, and the illustrations are all both in perfect balance and contrast that engage the child on both the whole (the sentence, or the whole illustration) and the specific (the individual word, or a visual detail in the pictures). This is a small comprehensible world, invoked with poetics and illustrated with grace.

It is in the processes of reading aloud, pointing to pictures and words, with the repetition of familiar themes ("goodnight") and subjects (objects in a nursery) that the concept of printed words signifying objects (both illustrated ones, and real ones) and actions becomes incarnate in a child's mind. Ricoeur's "the symbol gives rise to the thought" has its birthplace here. This is the ideal vehicle to begin your child's journey of mastering comprehension and action of and in the world with symbols.

We own the board book edition, and I highly recommend it for its sturdy use for each new member of a growing family.

This is the first book our six year old daughter was able to read to her two year old brother, a moment all families should experience. I urge you to read "Goodnight Moon" regularly to your child as a gift for his future.
on January 21, 2018
I bought both the English and Spanish versions for my granddaughter so mommy can read to her in English and daddy can read to her in Spanish! My younger son has the book in English and is one of his favorite bedtime books. We stop at each page after I've read it and he counts and points out the objects the page is talking about.
on November 16, 2017
Love this! Bought for grand-daughter & loved this when my daughter was a child- back when cassette tapes were the norm!
on February 11, 2018
Wish it was the full story. Guess I didn't read the fine print. But our 1 year old loves it. She also loves the original but tries to chew it. So got the cloth one. Quality is great but only 3 stars because it's not the full story
on April 28, 2016
What a classic! This book never stood out to me as a must have in all my years of buying children's books. But after a visit to grandma's house with my 3 year old, I got to witness the magic first hand. Something indescribable in watching your toddler's chubby little fingers reach out and point to the pictures as you quietly read the simple sentences. Nothing will capture your heart like hearing, "Goodnight moon" repeated in that sleepy baby voice. Love.