Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,929 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,822 reviews
on March 22, 2017
There's not much that hasn't been said about this timeless book. All I can say is I had never heard of it until my wife got pregnant and I began looking into books for babies/toddlers. This was at the top of my list after researching, and I'm so happy to have purchased it. The art, wording, alternating black and white with color pages, and storyline are wonderful. It engages my son, he loves looking at the bunnies, and it truly is a calming book for everyone before bedtime. This was written over 60 years ago, so it makes you feel a bit like you're in a bygone era. Simplicity, values, family and education are all focused on in this book. We've been reading it weekly for the past 20 months, and will continue to do so for another 40! I highly recommend this book, along with other Margaret Wise Brown books.
on January 10, 2014
I got this for one of my first Christmas's as a grandmother. It just happened to be one of my favorite bedtimes books to read my grandchildren. I sat in a quiet room and recorded it for them, and on the last page ended with saying how much I love them. I bought another copy and decided to have my grandson read it to me as well, so I could record his little three year old voice- he knew the whole book by heart. So, my grandson read "Goodnight Moon" with all of my inflections and closed the book saying how much he loved me ( just like I tell him). Now, he is such a big boy at five, I love to share listening to it together. It is next to my bed, and I know that when he is listening to my voice, I am listening to his, and everybody is enjoying their goodnight book. I have just purchased a princess recordable book that I think my granddaughters will enjoy as much as I enjoy reading it to them! What an absolutely beautiful gift.
on January 6, 2016
I wanted to love this book because the hardcover is my daughter's favorite, but the red balloon on the top of every page is cut off. I'm not sure if it's that way in all of them or just mine, but very disappointing.
review image
on June 24, 2016
Repeating, rhythmic, pleasant sounding text. My husband and I both yawn now as soon as we start reading this! (Conditioning much? ;) ) We LOVE this book. I love that the pages alternate between black and white (grayscale, not high contrast), and full color; I like that the colors are bold, which is developmentally appropriate for newborn eyes. We read this to our daughter from the day she came home from the hospital, she loved it then, and she still loves it. (Though she did go through a phase of a couple of months where she fought bedtime and thus hated this book. Only lasted about two months, from 6 months to 8 months. She is 10 months old now and chooses it for us to read to her at bedtime). Also, I study early childhood education (birth-age 8) and my literacy professor highly recommended this book for reading from newborn onward.
on April 12, 2013
Just when one thinks that there's no hope for contemporary children's literature, a classic like Goodnight Moon comes along to restore one's faith. It is especially great as a tucking-in-bed story, helping the child to relax, relinquish the day and welcome sleep, confident that everything and everyone will still be there tomorrow.

The litany of goodnights to different people, toys, etc., can be modified by imaginative parents to include things that their particular child is attached to - they can add a goodnight to the family pet, favorite toys - and do it with the name the child actually uses.

The child can also be encouraged to add his or her own "goodnights" to special friends and possessions. This helps the child become an willing participant in the process of going to sleep, and provides a sense of security and continuiity. Parents who wish to teach their children spiritual values can incorporate those as well.

I think that this is a good book even for children somewhat younger than four - any child who understands saying "goodnight". The cadence of the book, "goodnight this, goodnight that", creates a soothing rhythm to help relax the child and lull him or her to peaceful sleep, as well as a powerful message that sleep is just another part of life to be welcomed in the rhythm of days.

As a mental health professional, I believe that this book can help children develop a sense of security and object permanence, and can be very good for psychosocial development. I rather imagine that Goodnight Moon helps parents and other caregivers relax as well.
on March 19, 2017
My 23 month old son absolutely LOVES this book. I have honest-to-goodness read it over 150 times and he asks for it before bed every night. Well written, very brief sentences/phrases on each page that keep the attention of a toddler and I think he likes the contrast between the very colorful pages and the black and white pages and the rhyming.
on August 30, 2016
DO NOT BUY IF YOU WANT THE ORIGINAL STORY. It does not tell the complete story, there are 6 pages total and 2 of them have a few random words. Huge disappointment.
on January 27, 2014
Our grandson is a long way from us. This was a way to be more present in his life. Considering the value of family relationship and memories, it is a worthwhile investment. I do wish, however, the recording set up provided for reading the name of the book, the author and who is recording it but it doesn't. If memory serves, there is also no provision for saying the childs name. And by the way, the recording uses light sensors so it does not work without fairly strong light on the book page.
on June 29, 2016
Another awesome classic here. I ordered this with the very hungry caterpillar, because it's just one of those books every family should have. My kids love finding the rodent as he travels through the story on each page.The rhythmic rhyming structure is perfect to (hopefully) lull the little ones off to slumberland. This is the best bedtime story, because as it progresses, it gets gradually darker and darker (hey, just like in real life...) until it ends and the bunny goes to sleep, and hopefully so do your kids. Mine (at least one of them) however, weren't particularly interested in sleep, so we had other battles to contend with. Oh yeah, it's a board book, so tiny digits can maneuver it easily. It can also withstand a fair amount of biting as well. I would usually take it away if they started biting it though, cause I'd rather be able to pass it along to another kid.
on December 22, 2016
My favorite kids book! I bought this as a replacement for my sons (he's 16 now but I want it in his collection!).. makes the perfect bedtime story for children of all ages!! Find my review helpful? Please click "helpful". If not, please leave a comment letting me know how I can improve!