Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Google Nexus 10 (Wi-Fi only, 32 GB)
Size: 32GB|Color: Black|Change

on March 25, 2013
I bought my Nexus 10 after my mother stole my Nexus 7 from me and I'm sure glad she did. My girlfriend had just gotten an iPad 4 for Nursing School so I had something to compare it with.

Let me say the screen is the pinnacle for tablets by far, just watch the planet earth HD episode that comes with. The pixel density is much better than the iPad but not as saturated, which is fine with me because it looks fake. The speakers set it apart from any tablet in terms of loudness and the fact they are front facing so you don't have to look like an idiot cupping the back of your tablet for people to hear. The camera is surprisingly good; auto focuses and takes photos very fast. Skype looks better on here than my laptop, not to mention its nice to use the back camera for a video tour, concert, etc. Its extremely fast with no hiccups that I've noticed (in 3 months). Frequent updates which is rare for a Android device. Coming from the Tegra 3 quad core processor on the Nexus 7, the dual core A15 1.9Ghz and Mali GPU on the 10 plays games just as well which is impressive for the best screen in tablets. Movies don't get any better. The absolute best video experience in tablets, I guarantee. As an engineering student, this device has been more than capable and helped me be organized and prepared for classes.

Reasons why I like my Nexus 10 over my girlfriend's iPad 4:
-better screen
-front facing speakers
-better multi-tasking
-more customization
-can open zips
-can download attachments from sites that the iPad can
-can use flash
-can plug in any USB accessories with OTG cable (flash drive, mouse, keyboard, xbox controller) without installing anything or paying for over priced device specific accessories

*iOS does have more tablet optimized apps but that's the OS and not the device itself. This tablet is hardware superior in every way and the OS is much more capable.
1212 comments| 552 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 9, 2012
Before beginning this review, here are products that I own that I have used for comparison (most of which I have reviewed on this site): the ASUS Transformer TF300 T-B1-BL 10.1-Inch 32 GB Tablet (Blue) with the matching ASUS Transformer Pad Mobile Dock TF300T (Blue), the Apple iPad MC705LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black) 3rd Generation, the Asus Google Nexus 7 Tablet (8 GB) - Quad-core Tegra 3 Processor, Android 4.1,Windows RT Surface 32 GB Tablet, the HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer, and the venerable Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I love mobile devices, and have plenty of experience with Android, iOS, Windows RT, and webOS devices. Now for the review.

PROS
+ Dazzlingly sharp screen. If you're looking at the Nexus 10, you've likely seen this specification front and center. The resolution handily beats that of Apple's third and fourth generation iPads, but in practice it's hard to see the improvement. That's not because the Nexus 10's screen isn't an improvement-- if you look, it's there, and reading web pages is truly a joy-- but after a certain point, you really run into diminishing returns.
+ Rich content experience. While you do hit some diminishing returns, the Nexus 10 has quickly become one of my favorite tablets for content consumption, whether that's watching video or reading books. While both the newer iPads and this tablet (and really, a number of other excellent Android options, like the ASUS TF700T-B1-CG 10.1-Inch Tablet (Champagne)) now come with 1080p or better screens, Android tablets tend to have the edge when it comes to YouTube and video content due to their 16:9 aspect ratios (although they all do quite well, really). The Nexus 10's screen helps make web and text reading great, which is important considering many find the 16:9 ratio awkward for such tasks (more below).
+ Sleek, svelte build out of great materials. The backing is soft-touch and ever-so-slightly rubberized, and while not quite as easy to grip as a Nexus 7, the device sticks in the hand. Perhaps more importantly, it has a nice, warm feeling to it-- one complaint I've had about all-metal tablets like the iPads and premium Transformer Pads is that holding cold metal in your hand feels premium, but often uncomfortable. There's zero flex in the chassis anywhere, nothing creaks, and the slim, trim profile looks great. I personally think it looks friendlier than an iPad, but I will note that if you're fond of angular and straight-edged designs, the Nexus 10's pronounced curves may throw you. On the other hand, it's thin and light, and comfortable in the hand.

Oh, and branding is minimal. Most of the required stuff is under a neat little panel that snaps off to let you attach cases and keyboards and such (although said accessories are noticeably missing at this time-- someone dropped the ball on this one).
+ Excellent performance. Performance is really determined by both the hardware and the software, and for now, I'll look at the hardware. Powered by a new chip of the A15 "Eagle" variety, Samsung's Exynos 5250 destroys basically every Android tablet chipset out on the market (note I am not including the Snapdragon S4 Pro, as it's not really available on tablets yet outside of Qualcomm's reference build). Zero lag, zero stutter, fast and snappy graphics playback, and fluid gameplay (but take this last with caution: while every review I've seen has praised its gaming ability, I myself play relatively simple games like Steambirds or Anomaly: HD). Sometimes the tablet will run a little warm, but none of this lap/hand burning people complain about so much these days.
+ Android 4.2 under the hood. Android's come a long, long way in recent years, and even if you're a dedicated Apple user, you should at least look at Google's latest offering with an open mind. Stock Android has morphed from (what I believe! Important caveat!) a gaudy, neo-futuristic mess (Gingerbread) into a sleek, industrial, polished, and smooth system (beginning with Ice Cream Sandwich). In more recent releases, the OS has become far more understated visually, serving only to help you navigate your apps and content and getting out of your way besides. Android 4.2 has released several new features of interest to most buyers, but I'll look at two in particular. The first is multi-user support: now, you can have one tablet service multiple users, with a tap on the lockscreen switching between them. That means a "family" tablet can also hold your personal work e-mail, with no fear of other family members accessing your data. The second is a quick settings toggle. Android OEMs have long built in Wi-Fi/GPS/Bluetooth and other switches into their devices, but until recently you would need an app like Power Toggles to replicate the same on a stock Android device. While Google's implementation of settings toggles leaves a little to be desired, at least the functionality is there (unlike a certain fruit-named brand-- seriously Apple, all I want to do is toggle Wi-Fi. Do I really have to jailbreak for that?!)
+ Great connectivity. You get a micro-HDMI out port and micro-USB, and it's the latter that really opens up the device's capabilities. Buy a cheap USB OTG cable from Amazon (you can get them for south of $2 with free shipping if you look), and hey presto, your Nexus 10 can work with USB keyboards, mice, and with a little tinkering, flash drives. Good way to solve the limited storage issue (see below).
+ Sound sound sound. Taking cues from Samsung's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and Galaxy Tab 10.1N designs, the speakers are now on the front panel of the device. The stereo set pushes out quite a good bit of clear, loud, audible sound. For a tablet, the only device I've seen that comes remotely close is the HP Touchpad. But as with all things, keep in mind that the device is ultimately a tablet, so don't expect too much in the way of bass. It's plenty loud though-- I can't fathom why reviewers complain about volume.
+ Dual NFC receivers, one on the front, one on the back. While NFC is just emerging as a technology, if you have another Android device with NFC, you can easily throw links and such between devices (although Chrome sync handles that quite nicely as well), or buy some NFC stickers and play around with an app like NFC Task Launcher for some automation fun.

CONS
- No microSD slot. Personally, I don't find this an issue whatsoever, but if you're a big fan of local content then I can see how this might bite you. Google has long refused to put microSD on its Nexus devices, citing a number of technical and usability challenges (both sides of which I happen to agree with, but I won't go into detail here). If you're really out of space for the road, see my above section on USB OTG cables and use a cheap flash drive to expand your storage. It looks a little silly, yes, but for movie watching on the go, it'll do quite nicely. Google's on-demand download for its streaming services (Play Music, Play Movies, etc.) has so far let me keep what I want on my device.
- New layout. Again, not a huge issue for me, but if you've used Android tablets before, you will have to relearn a few things. Navigation softkeys have been moved to the center, and notifications moved to a notification bar at the top. This change has grown on me with time, since it preserves muscle memory between my phone and tablet, but some of Google's justifications just don't sell me. For one, center navigation softkeys leave a huge amount of wasted space floating around the bottom of the screen, and I liked having those keys and notifications in the bottom corners so I could hit them with my thumbs. Good thing that screen is so magnificent, aye?
- Aspect ratio. Android tablets are notorious for being landscape-only beasts, and although this device is quite tolerable in portrait, everything about it screams to be used in landscape. While this is usually fine, when reading scrolling content (such as books, web pages, and so on), sometimes Apple's 4:3 ratio is far more pleasant on the eyes, especially as such content is usually vertical, not horizontal.
- Cameras. Pass please. Tablets do not make good shooters, and while this one has an LED flash, it's thoroughly unremarkable.
- Somewhat understated buttons makes for some frustration. Power, volume up, volume down-- three buttons with distinguishable functions. So Google/Samsung, why put them all right next to each other with such low profiles? Sometimes I sleep the device instead of turning down the volume, which is just silly.
- Battery life. Please read this one with care-- the Nexus 10 does have a great battery and it lasts quite a long time. Rigorous tests have shown it lasts just as long as its competitors (the iPad included) in usage scenarios. But I have always (subjectively) found my iPad lasts longer in standby than any of my other Android tablets. Take what you will from that, but again, ultimately it does its job quite well.
- App ecosystem for tablets is a bit underwhelming. Again, please read this one carefully-- this is often leveled as a make-or-break charge on Android tablets. While I agree that the market is a little underwhelming, let's be real-- we don't ever have hundreds of apps on our tablets, and Google Play now has more than enough to cover most of my needs. In addition, the Nexus 7's enormously successful launch saw a huge wave of new, 7"-optimized apps. I expect to see increased interest in the 10.1" form factor with the Nexus 10. I've found the apps to do everything I want to do, and with some digging, I believe anyone could.
- Consumption, not production. While you certainly can use this device for production (particularly with a Bluetooth or USB keyboard), and Android gives you real filesystem access, you can't really escape that the Nexus 10 is a content consumption device. So are the iPads. In fact, the only two tablets I've seen and used that took productivity seriously were the Transformer Pad series and the Microsoft Surface RT. The Transformers destroy most Android tablets when it comes to productivity, and (I believe) are in turn destroyed by the Surface when it comes to serious Office-work and overall versatility. Obviously this is a point for debate and contention, but this is my stance based on my experiences with these devices. Feel free to comment if you disagree!

On the whole, do I recommend the Nexus 10? Wholeheartedly. Absolutely. With one little problem. The price. The Nexus 10 is excellently priced at $399 on Google Play for the 16GB Wi-Fi variant. So why is it being sold at $549 and above here on Amazon? It's quite simple-- third-party sellers routinely exaggerate the list price so that they can comply with Amazon's "list price or lower" rule, while still turning a profit on flipping an in-demand device. You can argue it's supply and demand-- I think it's dishonest marketing. Buy from Google Play if you can, or see if you can wait just a bit for the vultures to be brought down by more legitimate resellers.

Either way, I hope this helps, and just comment if you have questions!
2727 comments| 645 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 15, 2013
I thought comparing both units and the Nexus 10 on its own would be a good idea, since many people ask themselves which to buy. Ill rate each area on a 0-5 scale, 5 being the best.

Sound:

Note 10.1 - 4.5
Nexus 10 - 4.8

Both units have great front facing speaking. They do both however lack good low-end. The Nexus edges ahead for being the louder of the 2, and having a clearer upper frequency range.

Screen:

Note 10.1 - 4.6
Nexus 10 - 4.6

They tie. I know that may seem weird, seeing as the Nexus has that great resolution and DPI, but read on. The resolution of the Nexus is GREAT. I used a few HD Space live wallpaper to compare, and WOW, they look great on the Nexus. My problem with the Nexus is colors are very washed out, on the Note 10.1 colors are very vibrant with deep saturation. When it comes to reading PDFs, Word, and internet browsing, both screens to about the same. Most websites are scaled for average, not high, resolutions. PDF/Docs are both very readable. There is a slight sharpness increase from the Nexus, but you have to really zoom in to see it. Games on both units perform well, but each has its ups and downs. The HD screen provides detail, but the washed our colors really show in HD games and the Note looks better in that regard. Unless youre truly using 1080p+ content, you wont really notice much difference. THe Nexus also has a bit of light bleed, while the Note doesnt.

Construction:

Note 10.1 - 4.2
Nexus 10 - 4.8

I should preface by saying, I have NO problem with plastic bodies. My problem with the Note is that the plastic feels very thin, and has a LOT of give, and can even "crink" when flexing. The Nexus 10 feels VERY solid, and the grippy texture on the back is great. If it wasnt for my Note being in a case, Id worry about it alot, the Nexus, less so. The buttons on the Nexus also seem better build, the are firm and have a good "click" when used.

Performance (real world):

Note 10.1 - 4.4
Nexus 10 - 4.6

The Nexus edges out ahead just a bit. The UI and app performance is consistently better. Its hard to say if thats because of the hardware or slight better hardware. The only area the Nexus struggled with was using ezPDF. For some reason turning pages made the Nexus skip frame rates, I'm would guess that the app more than the tablet. Games and Apps run great in both, but the Note SOMETIMES hiccups a bit, the Nexus has yet to.

Battery Life:

Note 10.1 - 4.8
Nexus 10 - 4.6

Both Units have great battery life when it comes to "real world" use. My Note lasts my 5ish days, while the Nexus last 3ish. Given the increased screen resolution being rendered and the higher clocked hardware, this is a reasonable tradeoff. Keep in mind these times were achieved with a tuned OS. Rooted with all unneeded services/programs disabled, and I run DS Battery saver on its most aggressive preset.

Productivity:

Note 10.1 - 4.9
Nexus 10 - 4.3

Its REALLY hard to beat the Note in productivity. Multi-window is great, S-pen for handwriting notes and drawing is unmatched.

Misc:

Note 10.1 - 4.4
Nexus 10 - 4.6

This is mostly how much work it takes to fully setup tablet as a power-user. Both devices root easily. The Note has MANY more services and bloatware to be tuned to really max out the performance of the OS. The Nexus, well thats pretty stock, so only a bit of trimming is required.

Stability:

Note 10.1 - 4.8
Nexus 10 -4.8

Updated to the latest OS on both, they both run great. Ive yet to have an OS lock, random reset, or had to hard reset on either. Both have gotten the occasional random app freeze, but its occasional and most likely the app, not the OS. Its worth noting both tablet to well at recovering from app freezes when they do happen, the OS never needs a hard reset.

Storage:

Note 10.1 - 4.9
Nexus 10 - 4.8

The Note wins out of box because it got a built in memory card slot. You can root the Nexus and buy an OTG cable and a USB card reader and get the same function. Its just one more step, and added cost though.

So how do you choose between the 2?

The Note right now is all about productivity. If youre a student looking to take digital notes, or looking for general productivity the Note wins hands down. I cant tell you the amount of times Ive pulled up a PDF, Word/Powerpoint doc side by side with Papyrus (my preferred note taking app). As a media device the Nexus is better. Music is louder and clearer, and movies in HD look great.

If anyone would like anything else comparing side-by-side just ask, Id be happy to add it.
99 comments| 367 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 17, 2013
I am an avid tablet user. I began with the original iPad and continued getting the Apple iterations on future launch days. Of course I was impressed with Apple's offerings but something just felt.. missing. I switched from using the iPhone 5 to the One X+ on AT&T but returned that and got a Nexus 4 (which I also love). I feel that while Android may not have as many optimized apps, the Android OS is miles ahead of iOS in terms of functionality.

So here I am with the iPad 4, bought just 7 months after I bought my iPad 3 (shouldn't these by at least a year apart??). I decided to jump ship and try out the Nexus 10. And boy, am I happy I did that!

Pros:

-Gorgeous display, in every way. Viewing angles are wide, text is crisp as can be and the contrast is stellar (from a tablet perspective, some phones are better).

-Speed. This thing flies. No lag or observable hiccup anywhere. Coming from Android I definitely expected some hiccups or dropped frames, I was pleasantly surprised.

-Weight. It is light-weight. I have no problem using this with one hand holding on from the middle while in landscape. I hardly ever use it in portrait.

-Speakers. YES! I don't understand why anyone would ever choose to put speakers on the back. I love how the tablet looks with the speakers facing you and on both sides. Symmetry!

-Gaming abilities. Every game I have tried runs flawlessly. Mind you, I place relatively simple games. No shooters or racing games here. Mostly puzzle, side scrolling and such. Spirit HD is my favorite game.

-Browsing. While the bundled-in Chrome is lackluster in a number of areas, the AOSP is incredibly smooth. I notice no scolling lag or checkboards here, even when there is Flash on the page!

-Battery life. Easily lasts two days of my moderate-high usage. Mainly browsing the web or something.

-Updates. Since this is a Nexus tablet, you can be sure you will get timely updates to the OS.

Cons:

-Tablet optimized apps. This is just a shame, really. Most apps don't use the space effectively, I am hoping this changes since Google launched their own tablet.

-Charging. Battery charges slowly, plus it actually loses power when I am playing a game and have it plugged in. Maybe a dock or magnetic plug in will charge it faster.

-Chrome. The built-in browser is a huge let down. Consumers that are new to tablets will be very disappointed with this. Make sure to get a different browser from the market (Ocean Browser, Boat Browser).

Overall, it is of my opinion that the pros heavily outweigh the cons.

If you are in the market for a tablet, I would not hesitate to recommend this product. I am in love with it! This tablet is great and will only get better.
3131 comments| 412 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 5, 2014
I bought this to use alongside the iPad 3 I've had for a while, so here's a quick comparison of those two products:

- Performance of the Nexus seems good, perhaps the best available on the Android platform based on the comparison shopping I did. However, scrolling is frequently choppy, so the iPad performance seems better.

- The look and feel of the Nexus is quite nice. I love the grippy, rubberized material and the rounded shape. It makes the iPad look "square," literally and figuratively. But when I actually use the devices, I much prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad screen. It's more practical for reading books, reading email or browsing the web and only slightly narrower for wide-screen movies.

- The forward-facing speakers on the Nexus are a great idea, but they don't actually sound that good to me -- too tinny. The iPad speaker gives a fuller sound.

- The iPad requires an iTunes account for some features, but the Nexus apparently requires a Google account just to turn the device on. I haven't researched this and there might be a way to disconnect -- I don't like essentially being "logged in" to Google for everything I do.

Bottom line, if you want an Android tablet, I think this is an excellent choice, but if you're open to either platform, I'd recommend an iPad.
on December 5, 2017
Seems to have an issue with the video processor. Sporatically shuts down and restarts while watching videos. I couldn't afford a new one and the seller was out of refurbished ones so I stupidly kept it. A few months later it's super slow and still crashes. That said this is probably an isolated case. I hate leaving negative reviews, but this seller likely didn't test the unit long enough to get the video processor hot enough to cause a shutdown. So my rating is for the seller rather than the highly rated Nexus (made by Samsung).
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 22, 2014
this is a really sad device. I got it b/c I liked my nexus 7, and thought this would be just like it, only bigger. sooo wrong. battery dead in 4-5 hours, takes 12 hrs or more to recharge. even discharges rapidly in sleep mode. loaded only one game, volume off, Bluetooth off, screen at minimum brightness--there is no hope for it. continues to discharge even if you try to play plugged into wall socket. so if you think you're going to spend a lazy day on the couch with this puppy, think again. colors beautiful, display crisp, navigation good, etc, but...battery is garbage. so glad amazon let me return it. buy a Samsung 4.
on February 9, 2014
Its fast, smooth, powerful display and its upgraded to android 4.4.2 Jelly bean but my battery ran out last night i've been charging it since then. I received it five days ago but I've been busy with work and school. Yesterday I had a couple of free hours so i tested it. When I received it five days ago I charged it full, following the instructions manual systematically before I turned it on and set it up. It quickly upgraded its operating system. I downloaded Asphalt 8, gaming is smooth with honestly no flaw. But after five games it shut off and I've been charging it for 24 hours now and the battery level is still 47%.Note that I've been following the instructions exactly how the manual states it. I honestly prefer it to the Ipad air and the galaxy tab 3 but I cant wait for a mobile device to charge for 48 hours before I could use it because it defeats one of the primary purpose of buying a mobile device in the first place. I hope Nexus fix this problem on the 10.2 if there's going to be a second generation device and if mine continue like this, i'll return it. A little technical advice from Samsung, Amazon or the Google Nexus team will be appreciated.
on February 21, 2017
Was throwing a ton of google play errors right out of the box. worked with tech support to try and fix it and it bricked when we did a reset. typical samsung russian roulette.
on December 10, 2017
I had this Nexus less than one hour when the screen started flickering and then it froze. I could not turn off the tablet or reboot it. I Googled troubleshooting this tablet and found that many people had experienced the very same issue and the only way to fix it was to take off the back and fidget with the battery. Forget that! I have the first version Nexus and wanted a new and bigger one. I am very disappointed with this product and it's lack of excellence.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse