Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 89 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 111 reviews
on August 18, 2011
In typical Gordon Ramsay fashion, we see Recipes that are very well done, not over-complicated, where every ingredient has a relevance and meaning that is essential to the dish. In the recipe for the spicy lentil soup, for example, the soup just gets better and better as you move through the preparation steps, until at the end the addition of the toasted spice seeds elevates the texture and flavor to the sublime.

This is clearly a book where his exquisite sense of Ingredients and what they mean in combination with each other, creates healthy culinary art. My appreciation for his level of mastery has gone way up with the purchase of this book, because he has a substantial, not superficial, understanding of what healthy cooking is. His art is matched by brains, which helps explain why he has such range and depth.
on July 17, 2013
Not one of Ramsey's better books- while the dishes looked interesting this reviewer found that many of the dishes included in this volume contained ingredients that would not be available in the local grocery stores -- duck and pigeon to name just two.

The instructions are simple enough to follow but the measurements are in metric so, unless you have metric tools in your kitchen or can do the conversions in your head you might want to download a conversion chart before you begin the cooking.

Having relatives that were born in Cornwall I can say that many of the dishes are very true British food - this is the first cookbook that I have ever seen that had the directions for Cornish pasty. Ramsey provides a more modern version with just the meat and potatoes but comments on the fact that the miners would take these delights down into the mines with them where they would stay hot until meal time and that the original contained not only the meat and potatoes but that one end would originally contain a jam or preserve mixture so that the miners would have both dinner and desert. This is a nice additional touch for those that wish to make the more authentic item.
on August 26, 2012
This is a fabulous cookbook. There comes a time in most of our lives when we realize that we spend our years eating processed crap made by the ACME company. Yes, they do more than make those boomerangs that always seem to miss the road runner! They also make food and put tons of harmful chemicals and sugars in it that give us diabetes and love handles. A nutritionist once told me that to truly eat healthy I need only shop the outer edges of a grocery store and that all the aisles in between should be skipped. And now I have a cookbook that not only validates that opinion, it glorifies it.
A lot of folks think that Gordon Ramsay is a complete jerk who has made a name for himself by humiliating and belittling others. True. BUT he is also an unbelievable chef who can make even a corroded turd on the sidewalk taste delicious... His cookbooks are full of good advice and tasty recipes and this "Healthy Appetite" is a remarkable achievement. You will delight in eating REAL food that no Acme company has tampered with... His first breakfast recipe is a melon and berry salad that will jump start your day. But his Thai-style stir fry and barbeque suggestions will leave you feeling healthy AND full. There are over 125 recipes in this book and I highly recommend the majority of them. In truth, I love this guy's shows and thats how I found this book. He may be ornery and high on his superego but he means well and his food is delicious! Cheers!
on October 3, 2014
Almost all the recipes in this book taste fantastic-each is full of flavor, and none are extremely difficult to prepare. The book itself is very high quality and the recipes are easy to follow along with.

Pros
1. High quality book, with enough images to show the fantastic recipes
2. The food is AMAZING. Some of the recipes are simply incredible, many people have complimented on how most of the recipes tasted like restaurant food.
3. Covers all meals
4. Wide variety

Cons
1. Sometimes there are no images for some recipes
2. A few recipes were bland
3. There are no calorie counts here, so if you want a very specific diet recipe book, this is not it. This book is more about eating balanced meals more than anything, but it isn't a diet book.
on March 10, 2012
I bought this cookbook two weeks ago and have made about 15 of the recipes, which all came out wonderfully! I also have so many more picked out that I want to make in the next days. I'm happy when a cookbook as a few recipes that I will make again, but I think I'll make nearly all of the recipes in this book given enough time!

The recipes in this book are really easy to follow and are often accompanied by a big colorful photo of the finished dish. There is a great selection of breakfast, lunch, dinner, bbq, weekend, and some recipes for entertaining.

Aside from being so excellently tasty these dishes are also full of healthy nutrients and are very balanced. Here you get lots of healthy grains, veggies, fish, and meats. You'll be eating healthy meals with Gordon Ramsay quality of flavor.

I won't list all the recipes I've made since that would be long, but let me just say the muffins are fabulously moist, the beef curry (a weekend recipe, simmers for a few hours) is out of this world full of spices, and the super simple ricotta-stuffed chicken has so much moistness and flavor. I'm also loving the lunch recipes for cod and tomato chowder, spiced lentil soup, and the fabulous stuffed mushrooms... mmm!

I seriously have gotten exited every time I've made one of these recipes and I taste it and it's like "OMG that is so good!". I've been a fan of Gordon's food for some time now, and it is such a nice thing to have from his genius food mind also some nice healthy every-day dishes. This book is a keeper!

*** Update March 20th ****
After all the cooking I've done with the book I have to sadly say that the binding isn't holding up, and I haven't even had it that long. The paperback version is very cheaply made, which is really too bad. This has to be the worst binding for a cookbook I've had yet. So while the content certainly deserves 5 stars, the binding I would give 1 star.
on December 27, 2012
One very special feature of this book is that he gives you a page or two of different versions based on the original dish. It can be something Italian by using these spices, or Moroccan by using these spices... but he gives many more than two options which is great when you're trying to cook healthy. Spice is TRULY the variety of life!
on July 9, 2013
These recipes are a little more "American Friendly" let's say. I think that this cookbook - over his "Fast Food" cookbook will appeal to more people who are interested in cooking different foods from around the world - but are familiar to them. Get it? For example, Lamb kabobs with peppers and tomatoes, Sticky baked drumsticks (Asian inspired sauce), Rice noodle salad with shrimp and Thai dressing. These are international recipes - but we are all familiar with them.
Once again, easy to understand recipes. Some "exotic" ingredients, but most are from your local grocery store, And with more and more supermarkets increasing their international aisles, it's getting easier to shop.
Great book of 125 recipes. Something for everyone. Just wish it had pictures with every recipe.
on November 23, 2013
Love Gordon's show and got his cookbook. Many of the recipes look wonderful, not highly complicated, fairly easy to prepare. However, Gordon must love capers and anchovies; while I am really not a fan. Quite a few recipes contain either or both of these items. I have yet to try them to see if they can be omitted. I will also do a search to find alternative flavors for these two that I like. Considering that a lot of people dislike one or the other of these flavors, I'm thinking he should not have used them so much. On the other hand, if you love these, this is the cookbook for you!
on October 17, 2016
I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in this cookbook. I didn't find very many recipes I wanted to try. It has great pictures, easy to read instructions. But some of the ingredients are not readily available in a regular grocery store. (Especially on the West side of the US.) I really wanted a Gordon Ramsay cookbook, but I wasn't very happy with this one.
on November 23, 2014
I absolutely LOVE Gordon Ramsay! I'm a huge fan of his and love to watch his shows, but I'm not a fan of this book. Too many odd meats and dishes that don't fit the typical American pallet. I'm sure you could improvise with suitable substitutions, but all in all, this isn't my cup of tea. On the other hand, I HIGHLY recommend his other book... Gordon Ramsay's Home Cooking. Everything You Need to Know to Make Fabulous Food. It's packed full of wonderful recipes. I gave it a 5 star rating. Sorry Gordon.. I love you man, but this isn't my favorite.