Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

88%
12%
Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8 reviews
on March 14, 2011
This is the latest release by TPB, and as someone that has followed them for the past 2 years, I can say that it does not disappoint. I don't really care for "Ill At Ease". It may be a good statement, musically, but even to the most dedicated TPB fan, it runs a little too long. If you've read the reviews of the other albums, then you have a pretty good idea of what TPB's sound is like, and what this album has in store. For me, what makes TPB so great is the images that their music conjures up. There are a lot of "hellbilly" or "americana" bands out there, but nobody does gothic country better than TPB. A lot of bands do gothic americana, but not gothic country. While the other bands might paint pictures of evil things and dark forests, TPB take it a step further. Their music is pure fire and brimstone misery, with no punches pulled. You're a miserable sinner and you deserve Hell....plain and simple. Are they serious? That's for you to decide on your own, but they make a pretty strong case that they are. The brilliance of it all is that they preach without being preachy. They condemn themselves, along with everybody else. No smiling televangelists, here. In fact, they skewer them with glee on "Chemical Church". No, they're on the hellbound train, just like everyone else. How can they be so dark, gloomy, and foreboding without being depressing to listen to? Beats me. My guess is that there are only a select few that can understand their music, or perhaps better yet, that WANT to understand it. These guys put you face to face with the darkness that you've been running from. Are you brave enough to confront it?
on October 12, 2010
Wild, crazy, vulgar, holy and utter damnation. All these can accurately describe the newest "abomination" released onto the listening public by our good friends Brother Wyatt and The Minister. There are shrieks and solemn hymns and everything in between, and of course throughout an utter hatred for the crap that is modern life, and fake churches as well. If you liked their other stuff, just buy it. If you didn't you didn't deserve to anyway. The strange thing about their albums (and gothic country in general) is it seems to work best for people like myself who generally hate country music. My wife once described these boys music like this "it makes me feel like I should be burying a body somewhere." That pretty much sums it up. Do yourself a favor and buy it.
on January 5, 2013
This is an album I haven't stopped listening to since I bought. The music is haunting and these are some of the best lyrics I've heard in a long time. This is quite possibly the closest to home any music has come in the spiritual/philosophical realm in a long time. It's gritty and abrasive and if it hurts offends your ears, I'd pluck one off and let the other be warned to try to learn to love it, because it's worth it.
on January 1, 2011
Like I said, a great album. I could add more descriptives to entice folks to try the album, but I think the other reviewers have said enough.

I mostly wanted to review this album to make sure no one else makes the mistake I did- I purchased 'The Plague' first, which is a much different album than the rest of TPB's catalog. That album has an almost Doom or Funeral feel to it; the music plods along on a heavy downbeat, there isn't anything catchy about it. And while it is certainly interesting, it in no way represents the variety, energy and creativity of the rest of their music. For over a year after listening to 'The Plague' I thought I didn't need to hear anything else from TPB; the album just didn't do much for me.

Well, after continually running into TPB on Amazon Listmanias, I figured I should try something else by them. So I got 'Gospel Haunted', and was totally blown away. As a music collector, I always am on the lookout for a new sound, something that doesn't sound like anything or everything else. Well, this is it. Rhythm, melody, up-beat, down-beat, you name it, it's got it. It's quirky, irreverent, it's genius.
on May 15, 2015