Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat, Matrix
There is a newer version of this item:
- 3-in-1 Toddler Car Seat gives you 10 years of use from four to 120 pounds
- Front facing car seat from 20 to 65 pounds
- Booster seats in high back belt-positioning mode from 30 to 100 pounds and backless belt-positioning mode from 40 to 120 pounds
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
- Rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US safety standards.
- Side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built-in 5-point harness system.
- Five-point harness car seat from 20-65 pounds that converts to a belt-positioning booster from 30-100 pounds and finally converts to a backless booster from 40-100 pounds.
Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat
Safety Features Galore
At the heart of it all, Nautilus is designed to help keep your growing child safe. This seat is steel reinforced for strength and durability, has been engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed standards, including:
- U.S. Compliance Standard FMVSS 213.
- New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) – peak Crash Force approximately 2x Car Seat Standard.
- Extreme Car Interior Temperatures.
- It also features EPS energy absorbing foam for effective impact energy management.
Graco’s top-rated Nautilus three-in-one convertible car seat helps keep your child secure in a 5-point harness, from 20-65 pound and from 27 inch – 52 inch. When your child is ready, the forward-facing car seat converts to a belt-positioning booster from 30-100 pound and 38 inch – 57 inch, then to a backless booster seat from 40-100 pound and 40 inch – 57 inch. It’s just like having three car seats, in one.
Stay Harnessed, Longer
On the Nautilus, the 5-point harness is extended, in order to fit children up to 65 pound, keeping them harnessed even longer. This is in keeping with the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendations (they are one of the respected sources when it comes to child safety), which state that, when forward-facing, children should use a 5-point harness for as long as possible—until they reach the maximum height or weight limit for their seat.
Age/ Weight Recommendations
- Designed to accommodate children from 20 – 100 pounds and from 27 – 57 inches.
- 20 – 65 pounds, 27 inch – 52 inch with 5-point harness.
- 30 – 100 pounds, 38 inch – 57 inch as highback booster.
- 40 – 100 pounds, 40 inch – 57 inch as backless booster.
Fully Adjustable Headrest
When it comes to attaining a proper fit in your car seat (essential to protecting your child best), it’s important that the headrest and head support are in the right position. The Nautilus features a one-hand height adjustable head rest—a feature experienced moms love.
Just Right for Your Independent Child
The open loops at the top of the seat easily position your vehicle’s seatbelt, which makes it easier for your independent little (or big) one to self-buckle.
Wide, padded armrests are extra-comfy for your child as he / she grows, and this seat has three different recline positions, so it’s simple to get the correct angle for proper installation and optimal comfort. The integrated cup holder and storage (for small games and toys) are added features bigger kids really appreciate.
|Backless TurboBooster Car Seat||Affix Backless Youth Booster Seat with Latch System||Highback TurboBooster Car Seat||Affix Highback Youth Booster Seat with Latch System||Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat||Argos 80 Elite 3-in-1 Car Seat|
|Child Weight; Height Rating||40 to 100 pounds; 40 to 57 inches||40 to 100 pounds; 40 to 57 inches||30 to 100 pounds; 38 inches to 57 inches (in highback mode); 40 to 100 pounds, 40 - 57 inches (backless)||30 to 100 pounds; 38 inches to 57 inches (in highback mode); 40 to 100 pounds, 40 - 57 inches (backless)||20 to 65 pounds, 27 to 49 inches (in harness booster); 30 to 100 pounds; 38 inches to 57 inches (in highback mode); 40 to 100 pounds, 40 - 57 inches (backless)||20 to 65 pounds, 27 to 49 inches (in harness booster); 30 to 100 pounds; 38 inches to 57 inches (in highback mode); 40 to 120 pounds, 40 - 57 inches (backless)|
|Seat Weight||5.1 pounds||7 pounds||8.4 pounds||10.8 pounds||20.9 pounds||20.9 pounds|
|Safety Features||Rigorously crash-tested to meet or exceed U.S. safety standards||Rigorously crash-tested to meet or exceed U.S. safety standards; One-hand front adjust LATCH system||Rigorously crash-tested to meet or exceed U.S. safety standards; EPS impact-absorbing foam; Shoulder belt positioner; Adjustable head rest||Rigorously crash-tested to meet or exceed U.S. safety standards; EPS impact-absorbing foam; Shoulder belt positioner, Adjustable head rest; One-hand front adjust LATCH system; Side-impact tested||Rigorously crash-tested to meet or exceed U.S. safety standards; EPS impact-absorbing foam; Shoulder belt positioner, Adjustable head rest; One-hand front adjust LATCH system; Side-impact tested; Steel-reinforced frame||Rigorously crash-tested to meet or exceed U.S. safety standards; EPS impact-absorbing foam; Shoulder belt positioner, Adjustable head rest; One-hand front adjust LATCH system; Side-impact tested; Steel-reinforced frame|
|Comfort Features||Comfort seatpad and body support; Harness and buckle covers; Padded, 2-position adjustable arm rests; Removable and machine-washable seat pad and cushion||Comfort seatpad and body support; Harness and buckle covers; Padded, 2-position adjustable arm rests||Comfort seatpad and body support; Harness and buckle covers; Padded, 2-position adjustable arm rests; Removable head pillow||Comfort seatpad and body support; Harness and buckle covers; Padded, 2-position adjustable arm rests||Comfort seatpad and body support; Harness and buckle covers; Padded, 2-position adjustable arm rests||Comfort seatpad and body support; Harness and buckle covers; Padded, 2-position adjustable arm rests|
|Extra Features on Elite Models||Argos 80 Elite has an extended harness weight rating|
|Storage||Double hideaway cup holders||Single cup holder; Storage compartment||Double hideaway cup holders||Single cup holder; Storage compartment||Single cup holder; Storage compartment||Single cup holder; Storage compartment|
|Converts to Backless Booster||Not applicable||Not applicable||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Machine Washable Cushion||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Top Customer Reviews
#1 Frontier is more expensive (which is why I got the Nautilus for my spare)
#2 Frontier is SO much easier to adjust the shoulder height strap. With a simple squeeze of a lever, the straps go up. The Graco needs to be rethreaded. This is BIG pain when you have another child who wants to use the seat. With the Frontier, it is no biggie to pull the lever.
#3 Frontier seat material is prone to wear where the child's bottom and legs rub on the seat. It also shows WAY more stains and soaks up spills quicker than the Graco.
#4 Frontier has 3 crotch strap adjustments for easy fitting. The Graco only has 2 which makes the older kids sit on the strap. This can get uncomfortable. My oldest DD takes the pad off of the crotch strap on the Frontier (she says it makes the seat look like a "baby seat" with the pad), but she can not do this with the Graco, as the crotch strap rubs on her legs causing red irritation when wearing shorts. The graco pad is very thick and wraps the entire strap (between the legs) and then goes up to sit on the belly. She does not seem to mind sitting on it, but it does not look too comfortable to me.
#5 Padding on Frontier is WAY thicker (on both seat and seat back)and more comfortable to sit on. I can't imagine that the Graco would be comfortable for long trips.
#6 Heads slump forward for younger kids when sleeping in the Graco. The "wings" around the head are very fat (giving the appearance of a "yonger child's seat") and are so close to the child's head that it causes it to go forward when sleeping.Read more ›
1. Once your child is too large for the smallest setting on the 5 point harness, follow the instructions to REMOVE THE BODY SUPPORT. This is the thing that looks like extra padding in what would be the lumbar region if you could somehow squeeze an adult into the seat. In my copy of the manual it is shown on page 6 under "Features". If you fail to REMOVE THE BODY SUPPORT, yes, indeed, the crotch strap appears to be ridiculously short. So, in conclusion, REMOVE THE BODY SUPPORT per the instructions.
2. Also, as many have commented, move the crotch strap to the second slot. Make sure you are using the second slot in the hard plastic base, not just the second slot in the fabric insert.
3. Congratulations, you now have a ton of space in the crotchular region. I have a 56 lb 43 inch tall son who, even while wearing ski pants, fits just fine in the seat when configured according to points 1 and 2. He is not 'sitting on' the crotch buckle as so many have alleged. I think a child who doesn't have enough room is likely too large for the weight limit on the harness anyway, in which case you remove the harness and migrate to #2 of the "3-in-1" scheme and secure the child in the booster with the vehicle belt.
The kids love them.
The price is right. They are quite a bit cheaper than the corresponding Britax model.Read more ›
I purchased this seat in early 2009 for my then 2 year old son, it was his first forward facing seat. My son is now 5 years old and this seat is still going strong. I have also used this seat for my best friends 18 months old a few times and it works great for him too.
What I love/like
1. Easy to install, had worked in every car we have used it in so far. The install with this seat is very firm without a lot of fighting with the belts to get it that way.
2. Very solid, sturdy, and well made.
3. Comfortable for my son.
4. We love the features. My son very much enjoys having his own cup holder and storage pockets where he generally stores a few hotwheels cars :)
5. I love that it is so versatile and that it harnessed up to 65lbs. My children are small for their age so its likely that this seat will harness my until age 8 (when the seat, but not the backless booster will expire.) It still fits my 10 year old daughter (we tried it just to see, she weighs 61 lbs.) As for the average child, my best friends average size 7.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
We have been very happy with this car seat. It is comfortable for the kids. The material has snagged in a few places but overall quality is good.Published 4 days ago by LH
This is a high quality carseat. I purchased a Chicco carseat when my daughter was a newborn, and upon switching to the Graco carseat I realized just how great of quality this is! Read morePublished 6 days ago by Erica A.