Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 63 reviews
on July 16, 2016
My son who is 6.5 and starts 2nd grade in the Fall is not an avid reader (he turns 7 in December). In fact, he acts like its pulling teeth :(. Although he is a year ahead and his reading is on a 3rd grade level, his comprehension is only on a mid second grade level. I bought this book to work through during after school and in the summer. I love the layout of this book. The passages are just the right length and the questions are not too difficult; however, he would have to comprehend both the directions and passage in order to answer the questions correctly unlike other comprehension books that pretty much have the answer in the sentence. My son flies through those books because they don't require comprehension just good test taking skills. He works on these sheet daily. I plan on moving on to grade 4 once he starts second grade. Would definitely recommend this book for those looking to assist their child in comprehension. There are sections for compare/contrast, context clues, comprehension, fill in the blank, charts, crossword puzzles, making predictions, sequencing and much more. I also like that my son is still getting some challenging reading in as well! Great job Kumon. (I am also a fan of their Math books. My son is working on grade 3 addition and subtraction and has started on my simple multiplication).
on September 23, 2010
I believe that the "Kumon Reading" series of workbooks are fairly new. Kumon is predominately known for their Math program and set of Math workbooks. However, my student used to be enrolled in the actual Kumon program at a local Kumon learning center, and so we are familiar with both programs as a result. I'm really happy that Kumon decided to mass market their methods in workbook form, that anyone may purchase at a store or over the internet. It's far cheaper, and that works for us. I'm sold on their methodology: incremental, sequential, repetitive learning. Students rarely understand a concept the first time, and will never gain confidence in their own abilities unless they are exposed to concepts again and again.

Kumon has attempted through their Reading workbooks to repeat the success of their established Math workbook series. What Kumon has done with the Reading workbooks is to basically abbreviate their Kumon Reading program into a usable workbook. This workbook goes beyond reading comprehension and really attempts to drill down to sequencing the events in a reading passage, learning how to define a word by the context in which it is used, and to critically analyze reading passages for contrasting and descriptive content, among other concepts.

This workbook goes beyond just reading a passage. As we all know, reading should be about critically thinking about a concept or a story. Kumon really works on addressing reading skills in a way that all students can find a good starting point, and building upon knowledge from there.

One important point to remember about these Kumon workbooks: if your child/student has difficulty with one level of workbooks, then simply drop back to another grade of workbooks. The goal of any educational program is not to overwhelm the student, but to build student confidence. If your student is not able to grasp this Grade 3 Reading workbook, then drop back to a Grade 2 Reading workbook. If your student breezes through this Grade 3 book, then move your student on to Grade 4.

We use this workbook as a supplemental tool for my student's reading program. My student has mastered phonics, and is comfortable discussing a reading passage in detail. I really wanted to add another layer to her reading program, and this meets our needs. Overall, a good find.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2017
Good quality and I liked what I saw so far. I'm going to use this as my summer supplement so I will come back with a full review in a couple months.
on August 7, 2016
It's a good book, butIt's not that challenging and my son did half the book and I guess he just learned 3-4 new words from the lessons. He is going to 3th grade this fall and he is an average kid. I guess only the last 20 lessons are good. The rest are too easy
on January 3, 2013
Got this for my 8 year old,he has done couple of pages in it,but it is a very good workbook,I usually get Kumon workbooks for him.
on May 13, 2017
Best supplement for helping my child learn the subject in more detail.
on April 8, 2016
Another great Kumon book. Been using Kumon books for a long time now, for part of my children's home schooling. We absolutely love them. Very easy to use & understand. Thank you Kumon!
on November 10, 2016
Easy to read and fun for my child to use. The content is presented very well. Will buy more and the next grades as time goes by.
on February 21, 2014
Kumon and Scholastics educational books are great. I do not have a preference one over another and buy both. My daughter loves them. I see the progress too.
on May 21, 2015
Great workbook that will enhance your child's learning. My 9yr old accelerated through it rather quickly. It is self paced and similar to the material your child would get exposed to in an actual Kumon program.