Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Graded Reader of Biblical Hebrew: A Guide to Reading the Hebrew Bible Paperback – August 13, 2006
"Rebound" by Kwame Alexander
Don't miss best-selling author Kwame Alexander's "Rebound," a new companion novel to his Newbery Award-winner, "The Crossover,"" illustrated with striking graphic novel panels. Pre-order today
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Back Cover
A Graded Reader of Biblical Hebrew is the ideal next-step resource for the student who has completed a year of elementary Hebrew, or it can be used as a refresher for the pastor or scholar whose language skills have diminished due to lack of use. Immersion in the language is the best way to reinforce what you have already learned and to gain greater proficiency in using the language for exegesis and preaching. A Graded Reader of Biblical Hebrew is a structured introduction to the reading of biblical Hebrew texts.
Through these readings, you will be able to review basic Hebrew grammar, become familiar with issues of intermediate grammar, and gain confidence in handling the Hebrew text. The readings chosen for inclusion, which are arranged generally in order of increasing difficulty, span the whole of the Old Testament and represent some of the most important Old Testament texts from the standpoint of biblical history, theology, and exegesis.
The many notes that accompany the text include information on grammar, exegetically significant constructions, vocabulary words, idioms, bibliographic information, and more. Parsing exercises are included with each reading, and there is room for you to write your own English translation.
About the Author
Miles Van Pelt (PhD, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) is the Alan Belcher Professor of Old Testament and Biblical Languages at Reformed Theological Seminary in Jackson, Mississippi, where he also serves as Academic Dean. Miles lives in Madison, Mississippi, with his wife, Laurie, and their four children.
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Although it's not what I initially thought it would be, I would still recommend it as a useful resource. The authors selected interesting passages from all over the OT and the explanation behind each passage is certainly helpful. The back of the book also includes an answer key to the parsing exercises. See the following list of passages covered in this book:
1. Genesis 1:1-5 In the beginning
2. Genesis 2:1-3 The seventh day
3. Genesis 26:1-6 God's promises to Isaac
4. Genesis 35:9-15 God's promises to Jacob
5. Genesis 43:1-8 Jacob sends Benjamin to Egypt
6. Exodus 3:1-12 The burning bush
7. Exodus 6:1-8 I am the Lord
8. Exodus 34:1-6 The Lord proclaims His Name
9. Leviticus 19:1-4 The demand for holiness
10. Numbers 6:22-26 Aaron's blessing
11. Deuteronomy 6:1-15 The Shema
12. Deuteronomy 11:18-23 Teach these words to your children
13. Deuteronomy 31:1-8 Be strong and courageous
14. Joshua 24:14-18 Joshua's challenge to serve the Lord
15. Judges 3:7-11 The Lord delivers Israel with Othniel
16. Judges 10:10-15 Cry to the Gods whom you have chosen
17. 1 Samuel 15:10-24 To obey is better than sacrifice
18. 2 Samuel 7:1-9 David's desire to build the Temple
19. 1 Kings 8:22-26 Solomon's prayer
20. 2 Kings 17:34-40 You shall fear the Lord
21. Isaiah 43:1-6 You are precious in my eyes
22. Jeremiah 31:31-34 A new covenant
23. Ezekiel 37:1-6 The valley of dry bones
24. Joel 3:1-5 (2:28-32) I will pour out my Sprirt
25. Psalm 23:1-6 The Lord is my Shepherd
26. Psalm 100:1-5 Hymn of Praise
27. Psalm 121:1-8 The Lord will keep you
28. Ezra 7:6-10 A model for generations to come
29. 2 Chronicles 1:7-10 Solomon asks for wisdom
30. 2 Chronicles 7:1-4 The Glory of the Lord fill the Temple
Answer key for parsing verbs as well as verse by verse explanations of idioms, typical constructions and Hebraisms.