Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 4,037 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,430 reviews
on October 23, 2013
I'm 68 years old, forgetting everything, obese and out of shape. I've lost and gained weight so many times I could have made three different people. I didn't feel like doing anything, much less exercise. My nails were non-existent, my hair limp and thinning.

UNTIL I read this book! In three weeks of following this new way of living (it is NOT just a diet!) I've lost 12 lbs, have happily started an exercise program, and have more energy than I've had in years! I'm never hungry, I get to eat all kinds of meats and cheeses and veggies, and I don't even bother counting calories. The supplements he recommends have made an almost instant difference - my nails are stronger and growing long, my skin is better, and my overall mood is vastly improved. This will be my way of life from here on out, and I strongly recommend this book to everyone. It was like taking blinders off, and being able to see again. Thank you, Dr Perlmutter, for this wonderful book, and for the back up help from your website!
5150+ comments| 1,178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2014
This book and several others challenge the misinformation that has led to an increase in obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer's, etc. Those die hard proponents of high carb and low fat are still spouting the party line that supports the producers instead if the consumers. Dr. Perlmutter makes an excellent case based on the latest studies and his unrepentant opponents can only utter the pathetic criticism that it's just "Atkins" all over again. I read their reviews and it appears that they never read GrainBrain and only repeated the talking points given them by the carbohydrate producers. After making America sick with their obsolete recommendations, they cling to discredited dietary recommendations unable to admit the great harm they have inflicted on millions of people.
on May 1, 2014
What Grain Brain Did for Me

I read the book, Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD right before Christmas of 2013. It changed everything I thought I knew about food and its relationship to health. You really should read it. I don’t think we can change how we eat without changing how we feel about food. This book did that for me. I’ve lost (at last check) 18.2 lbs (April 26, 2014), and that’s without exercise, which I’ve never been able to do. It’s also without going around hungry, which all other diets have made me do. You do not count calories or carbs, or fats, or anything. You just eat what’s good for you: Fat - lots of it, meats, vegetables, eggs, cheese, salads, nuts, seeds (my new favorite snack is Pepitas, which they have at Publix). I eat all I want, and when I’ve had enough, that’s it. I eat a lot less than I used to because I’m getting enough fat in my diet, and not stuffing myself with useless breads, crackers, chips, and pasta – which just make me hungrier and hungrier. Of course, you know me – those were my favorites. You could not pay me now to eat that stuff.

Read the book, please! It will change your health, not just the scale. What I’ve gained are increased energy, lots less brain fog, joints moving better (do not hurt all the time), less headaches – a LOT less, tummy troubles are now non-existent, and before, I was always gaseous or had diarrhea, or just was hurting in general. Those are completely gone. Can you imagine not feeling sick at your stomach? I couldn’t either. It was a constant for me, in some form or fashion, ALL THE TIME.

My labs were checked in February, after just two months, and my doc was blown away. I was no longer in the diabetic range and my liver functions had normalized. She couldn’t believe how much better I said I felt. My depression has lifted immensely. I could go on all day about how much better I feel, but I want YOU to feel better too. I’m not asking you to change anything. I’m just asking you to read this book. You make up your mind. You decide what’s best for you. I do not do everything exactly like the book says. I have picked and chosen what I think is best for me. The best thing about this, the author is not just one man with a theory. He backs up everything he says with research from around the globe. He really knows his stuff. He also has a good website with a lot of articles to read: [...] If you want your health back, it’s time to read, Grain Brain!
55 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2017
Very eye-opening information from this book. So many things we learned in the 80s and 90s about athlete's fuel sources are completely opposite from the info in this book. I am changing my diet a little at a time, knowing that gluten isn't the best thing for you.
on September 19, 2017
Great ideas, great diet plans laid out without becoming too much like a diet book, but he definitely backs it all up with science. Hundreds of references are listed in this to further enhance your knowledge. Only reason I don't give it a 5 is, it's somewhat redundant when he says he "cured" some people, I'm sure it benefited the patients but sometimes it seems extraordinary in my opinion. But overall this is an excellent read tackling multiple domains of health, and how our society is leading us into Alzheimers and Parkinsons in an astonishing rate.
on February 28, 2015
I purchased this book after seeing a program on PBS in which Dr. Perlmutter explained the impact of certain foods on the brain (particularly Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia). A few weeks earlier I had seen JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet on PBS. I was struck by some of the similarities -- mainly their opposition to surgar, carbs and gluten, and the acceptance of whole dairy as opposed to reduced fat or fat free. It is clear that a pendulum is swinging in the diet world -- away from low fat and high carbs, towards low carbs and healthy fats. The books don't propose identical diets, since one is for weight loss and the other for brain health. I don't need to lose weight, but both books talked about feeling better in general, having more energy (and less fatigue), better mental alertness, and other quality of life issues.

I am sure I am not alone in fearing Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, having gone through it with my mother. I will never forget the day, early in my mother's illness, when she turned to me and said "What is happening to me?" Her plaintive tone went straight to my heart. Following the "Grain Brain" diet is a commitment, and I am still assessing whether I want to make such a radical change. But Perlmutter provides the recent (but well studied) science behind his theory, and recent is the key. When I was diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma, a wise friend told me not to read any articles over a year old. I would still give that advice today, five years later, because so much has changed in treatment and outcomes by cutting edge practitioners.

I know that I have learned a tremendous amount from the "Grain Brain," and it would be helpful to anyone with diabetes in their family line, or a desire to lose a little weight. Right now I'm leaning toward giving this diet a tryout. I won't know if it is affecting my long-term brain health, but I should experience other benefits fairly soon. The book gives you a plan and access to more information on-line. If nothing else, I feel as if I'm on the leading edge in several health issues, and not the last to find out.
on September 14, 2017
Please read this book! With the rising cost of healthcare, we have to take our health into our own hands. Educate yourself and think about what you're doing to your body by eating that donut or Big Mac.

Imagine no brain fog or joint pain - it's right in front of you and Dr. Perlmutter breaks it down for you, step by step. (Living proof right here!)

Don't be afraid. You can do this.
on April 23, 2014
Perlmutter has a good evidence based approach to his conclusions with serious research of his own as well as gold-standard references to other researchers. His recommendations and extensive clinical experience in dealing with gluten effects and the benefits of sugar withdrawal on neurological issues are impressive, but less convincing then real controlled clinical studies with controls and more objective evaluations of outcomes. He is also a bit inconsistent on his categorization of foodstuffs in the the forbidden land desirable zones of sugar content and their effects on insulin dynamics. It is surprising and he occasionally contradicts himself as to what is permitted or not. For example gluten free certified steel cut oats has relatively low rapidly absorbed sugar content high protein and lots of intrinsic fibre with many well-documented beneficial properties, yet is not even included in the catalogue of acceptable foods at any level of consumption.

In the area of probiotics REAL yogurt and kefir as well as some other fermented products without added sugar are in my judgement good sources. There seems to be a heavy emphasis on expensive fast-foody processed "organic" food sources, maybe related to sponsorships in his media empire. This detracts from his serious analysis in my opinion(hence loss of a star), but may be a simple bowing to the short attention span and demand for the ability to purchase an instant solution by the North American consumer.
on March 23, 2015
As a fan of Dr. Pearl utters work, I decided to read his latest book on the subject of grain intolerance. He makes a very valid case for sensitivities that fly under the radar of most practitioners. His work cannot be ignored by the medical community. I believe many patients have taken the solution of food sensitivities into their own hands after reading Dr. Pearl mutter and many of his colleagues that we can control both health and symptoms by being more cognizant of what we eat. It is gratifying to see so many practitioners integrating functional medicine in their practices.
on November 16, 2016
This book is eye-opening. I checked all the referenced studies and it's a wonder this poorly processed junk is allowed on shelves to unwary consumers. It's no wonder the problems we have are so prominent today when they didn't exist when humans didn't eat this garbage. I also took the initiative to find out more through other books and their sources, and it's mind-blowing. More text like this need to be made public. People need to take control of their lives instead of listening to the grain conglomerates. USDA is the agriculture big guns, and of course they tell us grains are good. No, no they are not.
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse