Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 4,033 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,430 reviews
on October 23, 2013
I'm 68 years old, forgetting everything, obese and out of shape. I've lost and gained weight so many times I could have made three different people. I didn't feel like doing anything, much less exercise. My nails were non-existent, my hair limp and thinning.

UNTIL I read this book! In three weeks of following this new way of living (it is NOT just a diet!) I've lost 12 lbs, have happily started an exercise program, and have more energy than I've had in years! I'm never hungry, I get to eat all kinds of meats and cheeses and veggies, and I don't even bother counting calories. The supplements he recommends have made an almost instant difference - my nails are stronger and growing long, my skin is better, and my overall mood is vastly improved. This will be my way of life from here on out, and I strongly recommend this book to everyone. It was like taking blinders off, and being able to see again. Thank you, Dr Perlmutter, for this wonderful book, and for the back up help from your website!
5150+ comments| 1,179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2014
What Grain Brain Did for Me

I read the book, Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD right before Christmas of 2013. It changed everything I thought I knew about food and its relationship to health. You really should read it. I don’t think we can change how we eat without changing how we feel about food. This book did that for me. I’ve lost (at last check) 18.2 lbs (April 26, 2014), and that’s without exercise, which I’ve never been able to do. It’s also without going around hungry, which all other diets have made me do. You do not count calories or carbs, or fats, or anything. You just eat what’s good for you: Fat - lots of it, meats, vegetables, eggs, cheese, salads, nuts, seeds (my new favorite snack is Pepitas, which they have at Publix). I eat all I want, and when I’ve had enough, that’s it. I eat a lot less than I used to because I’m getting enough fat in my diet, and not stuffing myself with useless breads, crackers, chips, and pasta – which just make me hungrier and hungrier. Of course, you know me – those were my favorites. You could not pay me now to eat that stuff.

Read the book, please! It will change your health, not just the scale. What I’ve gained are increased energy, lots less brain fog, joints moving better (do not hurt all the time), less headaches – a LOT less, tummy troubles are now non-existent, and before, I was always gaseous or had diarrhea, or just was hurting in general. Those are completely gone. Can you imagine not feeling sick at your stomach? I couldn’t either. It was a constant for me, in some form or fashion, ALL THE TIME.

My labs were checked in February, after just two months, and my doc was blown away. I was no longer in the diabetic range and my liver functions had normalized. She couldn’t believe how much better I said I felt. My depression has lifted immensely. I could go on all day about how much better I feel, but I want YOU to feel better too. I’m not asking you to change anything. I’m just asking you to read this book. You make up your mind. You decide what’s best for you. I do not do everything exactly like the book says. I have picked and chosen what I think is best for me. The best thing about this, the author is not just one man with a theory. He backs up everything he says with research from around the globe. He really knows his stuff. He also has a good website with a lot of articles to read: [...] If you want your health back, it’s time to read, Grain Brain!
55 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
I purchased this book after seeing a program on PBS in which Dr. Perlmutter explained the impact of certain foods on the brain (particularly Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia). A few weeks earlier I had seen JJ Virgin's Sugar Impact Diet on PBS. I was struck by some of the similarities -- mainly their opposition to surgar, carbs and gluten, and the acceptance of whole dairy as opposed to reduced fat or fat free. It is clear that a pendulum is swinging in the diet world -- away from low fat and high carbs, towards low carbs and healthy fats. The books don't propose identical diets, since one is for weight loss and the other for brain health. I don't need to lose weight, but both books talked about feeling better in general, having more energy (and less fatigue), better mental alertness, and other quality of life issues.

I am sure I am not alone in fearing Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia, having gone through it with my mother. I will never forget the day, early in my mother's illness, when she turned to me and said "What is happening to me?" Her plaintive tone went straight to my heart. Following the "Grain Brain" diet is a commitment, and I am still assessing whether I want to make such a radical change. But Perlmutter provides the recent (but well studied) science behind his theory, and recent is the key. When I was diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma, a wise friend told me not to read any articles over a year old. I would still give that advice today, five years later, because so much has changed in treatment and outcomes by cutting edge practitioners.

I know that I have learned a tremendous amount from the "Grain Brain," and it would be helpful to anyone with diabetes in their family line, or a desire to lose a little weight. Right now I'm leaning toward giving this diet a tryout. I won't know if it is affecting my long-term brain health, but I should experience other benefits fairly soon. The book gives you a plan and access to more information on-line. If nothing else, I feel as if I'm on the leading edge in several health issues, and not the last to find out.
on September 14, 2017
Please read this book! With the rising cost of healthcare, we have to take our health into our own hands. Educate yourself and think about what you're doing to your body by eating that donut or Big Mac.

Imagine no brain fog or joint pain - it's right in front of you and Dr. Perlmutter breaks it down for you, step by step. (Living proof right here!)

Don't be afraid. You can do this.
on January 26, 2015
For me, this book is a winner. It literaly changed my life. I didn't realize just how sick I was, my brain was fuzzy and I had so many things going on...and there seemed, by tests done, nothing wrong with me. I never had a test for Gluten intolerance, it was never suspected as a reason for what was happening to me. I am finding so many people who have found out recently that they have Celiac Disease, that it suprised me. I recommed it to everyone. Even if you don't have this problem it will help you understand friends and family who do. And be sure and check the Celiac Awareness Foundation's web site. You will probably be shocked when you see how wide ranging the symptoms are.
on November 10, 2014
A physician's assistant at my local clinic recommended this book to me. I am still in the process of reading it, but I find it interesting so far. Perlmutter is a showman of sorts, but his scientific credentials seem solid, and in my personal experience as a compulsive overeater I have found that grains, carbs, and sugar create huge cravings in me for more. I've been off them for a year and have lost 44 lbs. Having said all this, I would encourage readers to approach this book as a resource, not a cure-all.
on January 14, 2014
Okay, so the book reads like a thesis. I'll admit to having to read it five times. And that my book is plastered in yellow highlighted
pages. That is, those not underlined, circled and boxed-in. But then, this really isn't about losing weight. This is about our thinking mechanisms. Plus every other ailment you can think of. Or rather that the author has mentioned. But I have some he didn't mention.
So, to review; the diet consists of gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free hi-fat, low starch carbs. NOW THAT SEEMS HARD ENOUGH, RIGHT????!!! But it's not. It's not hard at all. Why not?! Because it's an instant craving busting system that delivers from day one. I believe that all diets work, if you can stay on them, but CRAVINGS are the undoing of all good intentions, all white knucklings, and gnawing hunger pains. So....without the cravings anything and everything becomes possible and I'm here to testify to that.
Personally, I have a lot of weight to lose. That's why NO CRAVINGS makes it possible to stay on this healthy regimen. Almost everyone I speak to says "no way" to giving up bread. And I've tried gluten free bread. I don't like it. My husband doesn't mind it though. But like me, if you're thinking of the long-haul. This is for you.
It's taken three months to lose 20 lbs., two wks. to get off from acid-reflux meds that I'd been stuck on for at least three yrs but....AND HERE, I'VE KEPT THE BEST NEWS FOR LAST.....my swollen foot, ankle calf and whole leg which I'd been left with after cancer meds, over ten yrs. ago. Well, they've shrunk to the point that I can wear a normal shoe, and knee-hi fashionable boot. The swelling is now almost not noticeable and that happened in less than two wks!
And there's so much more....I haven't even touched on the memory improvement. I could go on and on....
But I've said enough, except that I will always be eternally grateful to this guy (David Perlmutter) who had the guts and the perseverance to pass his knowledge and research on to the general public IN SPITE OF POWERFUL, VESTED INTERESTS.
on July 12, 2016
Well written with a wealth of easy to understand info for those who are trying to eat a healthy heart and brain diet. The book provides excellent suggestions and answers concerns of those who may be anxious about converting to a new eating program and lifestyle. I found the book to be easy to read and complex information on diet was broken down in a way that the average person can understand and grasp. The book offers many options in order to keep the diet from becoming boring and i guarantee if you follow the steps outlined you will not be bored or hungry with this eating plan. I have lost weight and feel much better as a result of following the guidelines in this book.
on September 20, 2017
Start with Dr. William Davis' book Wheat Belly to get a foundation on this. Dr. Perlmutter takes it even further! As a sugar addict I love my grains, but I don't eat them as often as before and I'm very selective for my digestive system. I also soak them overnight with a splash of apple cider vinegar. Maybe someday soon I'll be able to give them up completely.
on January 26, 2014
I'm in medical school now so I am familiar with a lot of the current research that Dr. Perlmutter mentions. I really want to optimize my brain function since I'm memorizing tons of info. I read a few paleo books and while intriguing, I was worried about following the suggestions because there was a lack of evidence to support the claims. Dr. Perlmutter basically advocates in this book a modified paleo diet (he doesn't call it paleo though) but he backs up each of his suggestions with evidence based research.

The one startling revelation in this book was that gluten is harmful, period. It doesn't matter if you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, or you think you can handle it fine. Dr. Perlmutter mentions the studies that show that gluten causes silent inflammation in your brain, drastically reducing its abilities.

Get this book. You will learn a lot about keeping your brain in top shape, and you just may avoid getting Alzheimer's in your old age if you follow the suggestions (7 key supplements, exercise, fasting, diet, sleep) here.