Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 238 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 294 reviews
on October 2, 2015
Where do I start. First, I like grammar. Who likes grammar? I imagine, anyone reading the reviews of this delightful book. I said, I "like" and not "love" grammar, which allows one's interest to remain a fascination, and not evolve into a fetish.
Secondly, it is written by ... THE GRAMMAR GIRL! Yes, I am aware I wrote that loudly (Sorry)
However, can one whisper when speaking about the goddess of linguistics? Perhaps some, or many can ... but NOT ME! (Sorry again)
You may be wondering, does he like grammar or love the grammar girl?
No need exhausting weary synapses firing those inquisitive neurons; just buy the book! You will be a better writer, if you write, and you will speak better, especially if you speak formally. If you do neither, you will still benefit. For example, you will know when to use "affect" or "effect", "me" or "myself" and that you never, absolutely and unequivocally never, write, or say, "anyways".

ALSO! (dagnabbit ... sorry), the Grammar Girl has a weekly podcast, that discusses similar topics, and keeps current with the ever-evolving world of language and grammar. And ... she does it with such a pleasant voice. (That would be euphemistic, lest my bias be obvious.) So, fire up your mobile device, select podcast, and subscribe to the Grammar Girl.

Should you decide to purchase this book, (I have all her books.) navigate to quickanddirtytips.com/offers and link to Amazon from that page. It helps support her site. If this sounds like an advertisement, let me assure you I have no affiliation with Amazon or the Grammar Girl. I'm just a subservient branch living amid the regal pines of Virginia held captive by my fascination for grammar and her queen.
on April 27, 2016
This book is really good. I am more of a math and science nerd than a grammar nerd. I ordered this book and others from her collection to increase my grammar skills. I may broke some of the rules in the post but plan on rereading and learning more from her other books. I was able to get by in high school and college with just average grammar but in my profession and in my personal life I would like to achieve mire than just average. I hope this helps those you are interested in this book. She breaks down the material in the simplest form. For ultimate grammar book I would recommend her book for college students. This still covers a lot of grammar materials that is in that book. This book is excellent for editors. She gives a lot if advice in a easy to read and helpful tone.
on April 26, 2017
Good grammar is not dull and Fogarty proves it. She has a breezy style, yet she sets forth her grammatical principles clearly. Naturally, I disagree with her on a few points. Those who read grammar books for fun are probably inclined to have strong opinions. My only complaint with the book is the appendix does not have hyperlinks or page numbers to the relevant section in the body of the text. Useless! (I felt obliged to take away one star.)
on September 10, 2014
I first discovered Mignon Fogarty by listening to her free Podcasts, that I found on i-Tunes. I liked her immediately! The sound of her voice & diction make her a star performer of the English language. I was eager to buy her book for this reason alone.

I am so satisfied with her teaching style! I love the way she uses her imaginary friends, Aardvark & Squiggly, to illustrate her point. She gives ways to remember the rules of grammar, whenever she can. Her style is so un-starched.

I am a retired engineer, who now has the time to do some serious writing, which I enjoy. I needed to find a way to learn correct grammar to improve my writing. "Quick & Dirty Tips For Better Writing", was the answer for me. I find this book & Mignon Fogarty, an excellent teacher of English Grammar. I'm so happy with my choice!

I bought the Kindle version. It is very easy to find my way around the book by going to the Table Of Contents & clicking on the subject I'm looking for. It is fast & so easy to get to what I need. I also bought her book on "Punctuation"--excellent!
on August 14, 2014
I love this book. It's very well organized and concise. Some of the contents Of the book I already knew, but some of the finer points were elucidated quite well and were made very accessible by the author.

It makes a great refresher to grammar all of us should know. If you are coming to English from another language, the mnemonics that the book provides will help you with the conventions and exceptions. This is a recommended purchase.
on March 24, 2017
A good reference and informative, lighthearted read for writers. I recommend it for anyone who needs to write papers (or other things) and for high-school students even if they passed English.
on August 15, 2016
I keep this book near me at all times. Love the presentation and the fact that the author is not condescending to the grammar-challenged!

K. Kris Loomis is the author of How to Sneak More Yoga Into Your Life and several short fiction collections.
on August 19, 2015
I didn't think I would enjoy reading about grammar (or, well, usage) - but oh, how I did! I'm not a native English-speaker, so naturally I learned a lot from this book (in all fairness to my highschool English teacher, I do recall a lot of the topics brought up in this book came up in her teaching; in fairness to me, that was a while ago - and I had more pressing rules to master then than the proper use of an ellipsis). And it was fun! Indeed, although the book is structured in a way that makes it easy to use it mostly as resource to occasionally look up things, reading it front-to-back was a thorouhgly enjoyable experience. That said, I don't claim to have absorbed everything (if only!), and will definitely keep this title close by for future reference.
on July 11, 2012
I never understood grammar. I just felt my way through a sentence, playing it over in my mind, using some sort of intuitive editor that managed to get it right most of the time.

But when I started writing and my real editor brought out her digital red pen, I was completely lost. She used phrases such as "predicate adjectives" and I wouldn't have a clue what she was talking about. So I'd just have to concede to her advice or lose face and admit I didn't understand a thing she was saying.

I've tried educating myself in the past, cramming books on grammar into my tortured brain, but I'd forget what I'd learned just hours after trying to commit it to memory.

GRAMMAR GIRL'S QUICK AND DIRTY TIPS FOR BETTER WRITING is not only easy to understand, it is packed with mnemonics which help me retain what I've just learned.

This book will give you the confidence you'll need to write and speak without having to worry about making common grammatical mistakes.

You can read this book from cover to cover without having to take a single Tylenol. Believe it or not, she actually makes grammar fun!
on April 4, 2014
I am an editor and a proofreader, and while I actually know grammar and spelling quite well, I work with many people who do not. My problem is that sometimes I am not sure how to explain to others the things I automatically know. (The difference between "lay" and "lie" for instance!) I can't just tell people "because I said so." (Well of course I -can-, but it's not particularly helpful to them when I do.) This book has been incredibly useful to me by giving me fun tips that I can pass along to the authors I work with -- and just as important, easy-to-understand tips, so that I rarely have to explain anything more than once.