Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 21-30 of 433 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 704 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 24, 2010
We played GT5 Prologue for what seemed like an eternity. I was getting tired of the constant tease. The great news, GT5 simply expands everything about Prologue. Sadly, Prologue was this long expensive teaser of things to come.

The graphics are stunning. Chamonix, Rome, Cote d'Azure - been there - look exactly like this in real life. There are almost too many cars to choose from. They are all beautiful in their own way - the Fiat 500 was fun to drive around Chamonix carrying momentum. NASCAR is added, and you can now get 'er done. Indianapolis is perfectly rendered.

There seems to be little difference in controls or action compared to Prologue. This is a really good thing - just move on up to the big boy.

The user interface is clean, simple and well thought out. I haven't transferred the 8 GB over to the hard drive yet to see how much faster the game will load. Playing off the disc is painful at best.

Every kind of automobile driving is represented here - drifting, closed wheel car, open wheel, go karts, and rally. The tracks are fantastic. There is a ton of selection.

The licensing piece - A, B, etc. is not bad, more of a training ground for real racing. Like in real motorsports, you have to earn your license to drive certain events.

Overall, this is a great game. Grid is probably a lot more arcade type fun than this. GT5 feels a lot more like real driving.
on January 25, 2011
After all the time they spent developing this game you'd really expect it to be perfect, but unfortunately after so much time being spent developing this game, it's almost impossible to meet the expectations that most people had for it. There are a lot of cars to choose from (over a thousand), and around 200 premium cars to drop your jaws and salivate over. The load times are a bit long, it can take around 30 seconds to load up a match even after you've installed the game completely (which takes up a lot of space - 10gb). The actual driving and control of the car is phenomenal and loads of fun. There have been a few patches already to address certain issues with the game, and they've said there will be more on the way. My main gripe about the game is after you reach level 20 it becomes so hard to reach the next level. It reminds me of the grind in MMORPGs. That's one of the things that made me quickly lose interest in the game. Grinding for the credits to afford those cars that cost millions or credits is also another big turn off. The online is fun, and a nice distraction from the grind though.
on October 31, 2011
Points:

1.) A large selection of cars, but there are only as much as 170 always available premium cars (cars that you can buy at the New car dealership when you need them), and the 830+ rest of the Standard Cars (cars on the Used Car Dealership) only appear at least... 24-32(?) at a time. So if you're looking for a specific car or type of car, you might need to come back again and again to refresh the car list - at least 100 times. I still can't find the Lancia HF Integrale Evoluzione Rally Car '92, I saw it from the beginning, but I didn't have enough money to buy it (darn).

1.2.) ...For a LARGE selection of Cars (1,062 cars all in all) they DIDN'T have ONE Porsche... What's up with that? They don't even have the Gumpert Apollo or the modern Ford Shelby GT500's (2005-2012).

2.) Graphics are very well done.

3.) Photo Mode is one of the most Magnificent features of the game.

4.) Physics: here's the thing, they claimed the physics is good; yes, the driving Physics is pretty okay, but the collisions and damage are POORLY DONE--I think Need For Speed PROSTREET did a better job on Collisions. When you're running a car at 250 miles per hour and hit the wall without stopping, you should be totaled; the hood, wheels, and glasses are flying off everywhere, and you shouldn't be practically racing anymore (and some slight damaging should degrade your car's performance). It doesn't happen on GT5. Instead, you only get a minor dent, no significant loss of performance, and all which will be fixed after the end of the race.

4.2) Personally, I preferred the the development team to have made an effort to make it more realistic in every aspect, instead of thinking the "it's-just-a-game-make-it-enjoyable-for-everyone" mentality. Maybe they thought so of the latter, because real damages and performance degradation/instant-lose-race-at-Totale will make the game not fun for the majority. But no, Personally, I prefer the maker not give in to the majority's demands.

5.) As for Music, again, personally, I think they have made terrific choices. I liked how only a few, or almost no songs at all are that too Angsty, Street-racer-y, and immature. I like it when the music tends to please the "mature-minded" people. I don't think it makes you want to sleep, I think it's more relaxing and not annoying to the neighborhood. Classical music and Jazzy lounge type music is for Grown-ups - and most authentic car aficionados.

5.2.) There are only a few songs I get a grind with: the Beat for the "start race" song is nice, but, as an intelligent freethinker, I find it disgusting that the lyrics mention "...god made me this way" (eww). And as for the GT Auto Shop, they featured the Classical music "The Entertainer" --played by an amateur. I think whoever played the music could have made his key note timing a bit better.

====================================
(UPDATE)
- I Finally got my Lancia DELTA HF Integrale Rally Car '92****

1.2.1) They also don't have the Koenigsegg Cars (CCX, CC8S, CCR, CCXR, Trevita, etc.) and those are Popular for more than 5 years now.

1.2.2) No Rolls-Royce, those cars are magnificent.

2.1) Although the graphics are very-well done in some areas, some shadows appear low quality during a race game.

2.2) The Standard Cars (Used Cars) don't have Interior modeled in them. THey're just black patches of 3D Normals.
on June 14, 2017
graphics are amazing. tons of stuff to do in game.
on January 18, 2014
i love the gran turismo franchise and this game is fantastic great cars ,great tracks, they don't change ,they just add and boy do they add . so many cars it's tough to pick a favorite . this game is hours and hours of fun . this is my third copy the other two were lost or pinched .
on January 24, 2011
I haven't played Gran Turismo since the FIRST one on the FIRST playstation, but after having picked up a PS3 for my wife, it seemed natural to buy a copy of the current GT game. I didn't even know it had just come out. .

Anyway, the physics and cars remind me of the classic with the added benefits of sweeter graphics and some newer cars. I haven't played the "career" mode all the way through yet, but just like the original, it seems to contain a fair mix of easy and annoyingly hard challenges. One in particular, a top gear challenge with mini buses was darn near impossible and took a solid hour straight to beat. Fortunately, this one was optional, but I can't turn down a challenge.

Online gameplay (also completely new to me) is pretty cool, and I managed to race with some friends from across the country. Unfortunately, the setup for online play lacks any documentation of NAT types and requirements. Basically, if neither you or your friends router supports UPNP, you're pretty much stuck. I ended up 1:1 NAT'ing a routable IP to the private IP of my playstation and calling it a day.

Castrol Supra still rocks the game :)
on August 4, 2017
Excellent!
on January 22, 2012
I waited a while to pick up Gran Turismo 5. What was I waiting for?

The opening sequence is amazing, a cinema-style piece worthy of watching. The graphics in the game are just as good. It's almost as if you're really driving down the straightaway at places like IMS, Daytona, Monza, and Nürburgring.

Gameplay is also improved from prior GT versions... or maybe I'm just a better driver. I had no luck getting all the licenses in earlier versions. I hold them all in this version. It is also easier to earn money to upgrade or buy new cars.

There are a few disappointments, the biggest for me being the NASCAR additions. The cars look great... but are darn near undrivable with the standard controller. I've got similar problems with the karting additions. Maybe both are better with a driving wheel.

Overall, this is a must grab for any fan of racing games. I wish I'd picked it up the day it was released!
on January 26, 2016
I extremely loved the first few versions starting with the original but as the newer versions came it got too complicated and the enjoyment of just playing the game appeared to be like a role playing game. Keep it simple and just add and update the cars.
on April 19, 2011
I really enjoy the wide variety of cars and ability to soup them up in various ways. Also as you progress through the races and win you will recive not only cash to buy more cars or upgrades, but other cars to drive as well, I have about 25 cars in my garage and I only bought 3 of them. I just started last month but don't play much during the week, so thats alot of rewards for some intense racing days.
Thre are online racing rooms where you can set the type of race, the track and any limitations or requirements for cars, or just a fun free for all.
The graphics are very nice, you really get a feel for the real life tracks and cars almost as if you were actually there.
The fastest most powerful cars are hard to control until you get your skill level up which I think is very realistic, also things like tires intakes and suspension make a big difference so invest in that.

In arcade mode you can drive cars you dont own and practice driving in rain snow and dirt with various vehicles.

I find the game enjoyable but I am still not used to the controller.

I guess people who really get into racing buy a wheel and pedals, but so far im ok but slightly disadvantaged by a very sensitive controller for my middle aged hands.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.