Top critical review
2 people found this helpful
Have been a huge fan of Gran Turismo...
on March 2, 2014
But I'm being generous with 3 stars. Ive owned every single Gran Turismo game ever released and this is just a rehash of GT5, though with a revamped menu system, slight racing format changes, and yes the loading times are much improved, but it looks to be a money grab by PD. Why they didn't put effort into making an amazing and improved game to be an exclusive for a PS4 launch is beyond me. Where it matters, this game fell drastically short:
- The graphics are essentially the same as GT5 with some slight postprocessing improvements for replays.
- The sound is a huge step backwards. As many reviews have said, the engine sounds are terrible. And the traffic around you drowns out your own car which is unrealistic for the most part.
- Ai drivers are exactly the same as previous GT games, which is to say horrible. They never make any mistakes and ram into you when following their predetermined racing line. The first half of the race they are unrealistically fast, and the second half of the race unrealistically slow.
- Car damage. What a joke. Another step backwards from the previous game, if that's possible.
- And the worst problem, car modification. Again exactly the same as previous GT games with the addition of nitrous oxide, which is not really what I'd call a worthwhile addition. Practically every other popular racing game out there destroys the GT series in car customization and modification.
It's apparent they hung their hat on their physics and tire models, which yes, are quite good and enjoyable, but just not enough of an improvement to make up for all the deficits. And seriously, having 1200 cars doesn't mean much when manufacturers like Nissan have 200 of the same car model. I'd much rather have half the cars with better diversity and better customization. And really, no McLaren P1, LaFerrari, or Porsche 918? The 3 most important hybrid supercars ever produced and they're nowhere to be found? Oh but Forza has them. And losing all Top Gear features to Forza as well, it is seriously enough to push me towards buying an XBOX One and Forza instead of PS4 with the next iteration of Gran Turismo.
Overall very disappointing. I will continue to play, but I regret purchasing a new copy for near full price. This should have been a $30 expansion to GT5. I certainly hope PD has a 2014 release planned for GT7 on PS4, otherwise they really have fallen far behind Forza.