Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,893 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,282 reviews
on March 29, 2014
Elegant, zany, laugh out loud funny and beautifully executed from start to finish, the latest from Wes Anderson's wild imagination is a wonderful film with a timeless and wonderfully executed story to tell.

The Grand Budapest Hotel follows the misadventures of M. Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) and Zero Mustafa (newcomer Tony Revolori) as they avoid a bitter family out for their heads, a persistent yet misguided police force and the military of their fictional country. It's as lively and exciting as one might think, but Anderson's talent for film directing is finally at it's peak. A deliciously whimsical adventure ensues, and with an all star cast permeating this wonderful movie landscape things can only be wonderful. The themes of humanity and responsibility are well though out, and the impending fear of war within this illusionary tale make for a great juxtaposition against the backdrop of grave tragedy.

First and foremost, this is a Wes Anderson movie. It is whimsical, darkly comedic but isn't without its wonderful bits of humanity and heartwarming character development. Everything is here, from the sweeping panoramas, zoom shots and dioramas for sets that we expect. The sense of direction and style is impeccable, and throughout this myriad of genres his pleasant and unique style shines brightly. Everything from the pacing to character development is perfect; While the film does clip along, nothing feels rushed. I absolutely loved every moment of this frenzied doll house escapade, from the whimsical moments of action to the darkly comical poetry of Ralph Fiennes' character.

Speaking of which, Ralph Fiennes is in the zone; M. Gustave is one of his finest roles he's played in his whole career. Bitingly funny, endearing and lovable, M. Gustave steals the show. But without the rest of the cast (Tony Revolori, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Willem Dafoe, Adiren Brody, Jude Law...the list goes on) The Grand Budapest Hotel wouldn't be nearly as entertaining or lively as it is. Anderson has put together an incredibly talented cast, and everyone does a phenomenal job (even Owen Wilson)! The dynamics between various characters, the writing and the screenplay are absolutely fantastic.

Musically The Grand Budapest Hotel perfectly complements the film also. It's whimsical, lively, and comical while also being very unique. Epic lute solos, gorgeous choirs and those typical "Anderson beats" permeate the entirety of the film. It's absolutely wonderful, from unique start to whimsical and silly finish. Specific scenes also have a musical arc (one of the best examples is the monastery scene), and being a music fan this complexity and symbiosis of score and film is wonderful.

My biggest complaint is actually something that I appreciate, which is odd! The Grand Budapest Hotel is a story told from different perspectives throughout the years. When the film cuts to the 1930's, it changes to a 4:3 perspective to mimic the style things were filmed back in the day. While this historical nod is excellent, I wish the entirety was in widescreen. Anderson's films are very detailed and the scenes are filled with amazing detail; With this I feel that Anderson almost does his own film a disservice by cutting off and making the aspect ratio as it is. Also, some mild obscenities (played for laughs, and are indeed quite funny and help to characterize villains) may seem too weirdly out of place to really be funny for some.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a treat. For the eyes, for the ears, and also for the heart. The relationship that sprouts between M. Gustave and Zero Mustafa are some of the most believable and endearing moments of any of his films, as well as any new films I've seen of late. The story is original, the music is wonderful, the acting and script is typical Anderson; everything about The Grand Budapest Hotel sings. If you don't take my word for it, consider that the theater filled with middle aged and older audience members was laughing out loud constantly and finished the film with a lively round of applause.

Thank God for Wes Anderson, one of the only original artists left in Hollywood.

EDIT: I just saw it again in an off campus arts theater, and I loved it just as much (if not more) the second time. The humor is so quick and snappy the jokes never get old, and the great themes and story really resonate a second time through. Absolutely a fantastic film.
11 comment| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I went into this movie with mixed feelings. I'm rather impatient and do not watch that many movies. I had mixed feelings about, "The Royal Tenenbaums," mostly I did not like it. When this movie started I immediately thought of that movie and was about to turn it off, but stayed put for a few more minutes. I would say about 10 minutes in I became hooked and really liked it. At first it seems to be a rather slow pace and there are sections in which you think that you can "predict" the outcome, but I was really surprised. The characters really appealed to me and I would say it's a pretty good movie. I would even watch it a second time, which is saying a lot for me.
on May 17, 2017
The Grand Budapest Hotel gets better with every viewing. I bought it before I saw it, trusting that Anderson had produced yet another masterpiece. My trust was not misplaced, but it took me several viewings to realize the full extent of his artistic accomplishment. I certainly enjoyed it the first time through; it is visually stunning and star-studded, but the subtle humor that permeates the movie initially eluded me. It wasn't until I watched it again several weeks later that the brilliance of the script became apparent and I developed a deeper appreciation for the writing. It is not only hilarious, but it is also emotionally moving. Every time I watch it I notice something new, and I look forward to the next time I can enjoy it.
on February 27, 2015
huge Wes Anderson fan here, and if you ask me...best film of 2015. Well written, very funny and incredibly sad. This movie took my emotions on a journey that i wont forget. Bravo Wes! Realy quick also, Ive seen all of his films top 4 to watch in order 1. The Grand Budapest 2. Rushmore, 3 Moonrise Kingdom 4, Fantastic Mr Fox. He doesnt have a bad movie in my opinion, and im sure people could argue up and down which are their favorites. these are just mine so if you like this movie, try one of the other 3 i listed and i think youll enjoy them!

Happy Watching!
on September 2, 2015
This movie has become one of my favorites. It is shot so beautifully, the scenes are incredible. The actors are amazing. I am usually the type of person that if I get bored with a movie, I will start using my phone or ipad, it has never happened with this movie. It is fast paced, but engaging, I will not give any spoilers. It's a must see for everyone, it's funny and witty. The dialogue is amazing, I do not have one bad thing to say about it. The quality is great as you expect from a blu-ray. I will never regret purchasing this, I watch it constantly and never get bored of it.
on June 11, 2017
Surprisingly good movie. Never heard of this movie or director until my GF mentioned it, but it was very entertaining. Had no issues with streaming or sound. Worth the rental purchase!
on June 7, 2017
This movie is so unique and I enjoyed every second of it. Especially in today's over saturated market of "meh" films.

I am no movie reviewer but what I can say is that if you are really craving a film that is charming, funny, unique and touching then this is for you.

This is what film should be!
on October 3, 2014
A magnificent new world is, once again, created by magician Wes Anderson. This film had me from the start, with Anderson's usual display of controlled insanity, and this MUST be his best achievement. Anderson has his own regular crew of stock performers (Murray, Balaban, Schwartzman, Swinton, Keitel, etc). Add to this the lead character, Gustav, impeccably and totally portrayed by the masterful Ralph Fiennes. I haven't been as impressed in many years.

Special mention should go to Tony Revolori, perhaps the best straight-man, while holding his own.

Anderson's manic narrative is never slow, and some of his stock characteristics are ever-present. I haven't had such a good ride in years, not to mention the downhill sled-ride.

Brilliantly written, edited and executed, not to mention excellent tongue-in-cheek performances from all of the supporting characters, this is my favorite film of the last few years.

Unfortunately, it was released too early in the year to be given serious Oscar contention, but, awards aside, I can't recommend this film highly enough. Fiennes should be nominated, as should Anderson and Best Picture.

UPDATE: Lots of Oscar noms and wins. Deserved more. My fave film of 2014.
on May 17, 2016
I watch three movies a year probably. (I watch even less television) if one does not count TED and science docs and SciShow on YouTube. At the recommendation of my son, I watched this with my twenty-something daughter. We were both entranced! The cast is varied and varied. One might even call it a variety show... I recommend this movie on the basis of fun. Not juvenile. Not schadenfreude. Certainly not highbrow. Just fun.
This movie is in the best of company with such great parodies a Murder by Death and Young Frankenstein and it bears up to the comparisons well. The architecture was amazing, many of the sets richly authentic of bygone eras of wealth and privilege, mixed with purely caricatures of kitchens and prisons and even museums.
The soundtrack deserves special mention - especially if you like eastern European influence. The closing credits are worth a listen by themselves for the balalaika dances.
on May 18, 2017
This movie kept me enthralled the whole time - from beginning to end. The beginning drew me into another time and place and the ending wrapped up all the loose ends. Magnificent acting by all cast members. Have purchase this from Amazon and I now watch it over and over.