Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 735 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,181 reviews
on February 25, 2017
It was great playing this again when Microsoft made it backwards compatible with the Xbox One. Still prefer the story and characters over the gameplay improvements in GTA V.
on December 4, 2013
Grand Theft Auto 4. Well, the series itself doesn't need much introduction, but this was my first GTA game. I was impressed the second I turned on the game. The story line was excellent, and the characters were developing quite nicely as the game went on. There was a great selection of cars, and I got myself into more than a few long police chases ;) overall, a great game. Only deducting one star because for some reason, a few weeks into playing, my Xbox 360 came up with the "Disc Unreadable" message.

PROS-

Great story line

Amazing selection of cars

Character Development was solid

CONS-

Disc crapped out about 3 weeks in. This however should not stop you from purchasing this game, as it was most likely just my specific copy.

RECOMMENDED? Yes, I would definitely recommend this to a friend.
on April 11, 2015
Even though I have GTA V now, I love this game.
I would recommend it to anyone who likes dramatic story and cars, even if you don't think you'll like it its only like $13 so it won't put a big hole in your pocket if you end up not liking it.
This was the first game I got for my 360 when I bought it because I tried this game at my friends house.
Its story is better than GTA V (Don't get me wrong, V has an interesting story but IV has a much more dramatic and realistic story line)
I bought 3 copies of this game
I gave one to a friend, I used one, and I wrapped the other up in packaging in case anything happens to my disk copy.
(I then later bought the game from the xbox marketplace for download and gave my disk copy to another friend, and kept the one I had package in the package)
on March 4, 2017
husband plays it when he comes home from work love it
on March 30, 2017
Got this for my grandson and he loves it.
on March 29, 2012
The Good: Amazing story, memorable characters, subtle details really stand out, superb graphics, fun online play

The Bad: Crappy car handling, minor control issues, online lags more than it should, nothing earth shattering but perfected

I remember playing GTA III when it first came out. I didn't have a PS2 yet and I went over to a friend's house and played it for hours every single day. While we mostly just messed around it was something I never played before and was just so addictive. Thankfully GTA IV goes back to it's roots and brings us to good ol' Liberty City. You play as none other than Niko Bellic who is a Russian immigrant who came to LC with his cousin Roman to start a new life. The game's main attractions are it's story for once. GTA IV has a superb story that makes you want to keep playing. Gone are the lukewarm stories from previous GTAs where only the main character is the main attraction with just OK side characters. In previous GTAs you never really got a good feeling of the employers due to the lack built up story. You were just in and out of the short cut scenes only knowing what to really do. This kind of was solved in San Andreas, but even then only a select few were really fleshed out. In IV you feel every character in the game and there are tons of plot twists and it really keeps the game fresh through every single mission.

On another note, the graphics are amazing. While not Assassin's Creed or BioShock amazing they're really good. It's mainly the subtle details though such as people now put their blinkers on, cars are damaged in real time now with realistic physics so half broken fenders and bumpers sway as you turn the car, the paint can get scraped up, crowd AI is more efficient (yet not by much), better enemy AI (still not by much), further draw distance, everything has high-res textures, bump mapping and the whole next-gen works. There are a few things that they stripped away such as the whole working out system, swimming underwater (you can still swim though!), and territories. There are other subtle details such as the internet you can now use. It's a virtual made up internet, but it's still as funny as hell and has a dating system (yes it's still here) implemented on the dating website. You can get emails for side missions from employers as well. You can now take taxis around the city and either watch them drive your skip it if you want. This really helps a lot if you are tired of driving everywhere. There is also a new route system where the game will plot the safest and most legal course to your destination. Red is a target, blue is a friendly, green is a waypoint you made on your map, and yellow is an objective. This is probably one of the better additions because it keeps your from getting lost during time sensitive missions.

Another thing is the revamped wanted system. You now have flashing "zones" for every star. The more stars the bigger the circle will get on your radar that you have to escape. Cops are now showed as flashing blue and red blips and copters are now flashing X's. While we're talking about characters again the voice acting is amazing. I really felt like I was watching bits of a movie every time there was a cut scene. The characters are really fleshed out here every...single...one. You'll remember every character in the 60+ hour game and that's a really hard thing to achieve. Rockstar really went the extra 20 miles with this game and you can just feel it.

The game is huge as well, while not as huge as San Andreas it's about as big as GTA III yet it's also big as in taller as well. You can fly planes, and copters again in here and while it's a lot easier than San Andreas it's still not very fun. Speaking of controls they are more refined this time and the auto aim is a lot better yet there's still that stupid camera! Switching targets is NOT very easy. You have to press the right stick EXACTLY left or right or you won't switch targets. Whenever you do lock on Niko always aims for the wrong persons and ends with cheap deaths and what have you. The cars are also a big pain because they just don't feel right. They all feel really heavy and they slide way too much no matter what car you use. You try to put the brakes on and your car will slide and slide and you'll miss your turn, and the same goes for the handbrake. You hit it and your car spins out a few times no matter how good you are with the handling. I found this very annoying with the driving missions because it would lead to cheap and frustrating failures.

Apart from all this the game as 16 player Xbox LIVE support. You have tons of game modes from deathmatch, to cops and robbers. In cops and robbers it's pretty self explanatory. You all get in a car and try to kill each other. This is also very fun yet annoying because the game can lag a lot especially with people who have crappy connections. It also may take awhile to start a game due to everyone wanting 16 players and they just won't start the game. Aside from the minor issues GTA IV is probably game of the year worthy, but it doesn't do anything as ground breaking as GTA III did. It just perfects it 100% this time and gives us what we've always wanted. The perfect GTA game.
on June 27, 2016
Got this for my son for his birthday. He loves it! Great game.
on May 29, 2012
First of all I have never played any game in the GTA series before, so I didn't know what to expect. I did the research and it seemed like this one was the best of the four out there. I was right!!! I will start off with the cons because it is always easier...

CONS:
Driving physics suck; it is too easy to spin out of control.
RPG rocket is too slow.
Using cheats blocks certain achievements; I don't really care though. Walking outside of a building in a black suit with black sunglasses and holding a black desert eagle and immediately spawning a "FIB Buffalo" give a huge MIB/Matrix/Secret Service feel to it. Its pretty awesome.
Pretty hard to fly a helicopter but you get used to it.
People call you a lot, especially when you are in the middle of something.
Too much swearing, it's tainting my language...

PROS:
Weapons are well balanced.
Cops are relentless.
The attention to detail for that huge of a map is impressive.
All animations are there. (i.e. reloading weapons, getting into a car, opening a door...)
I love the sandbox feature.
Killing the people is pretty easy.
Tons of levels/missions.
Really cheap to buy, and it arrived fast.

Overall, it is a pretty awesome game mind the swearing. I highly recommend it to anyone who can handle the action. Not something I would let a 12 y/o play. I hope the fifth installment will be just as good if not better.
on October 14, 2011
I had played this game at a friend's, and in my head I thought this game was a legend. It has a truly unique story line, pretty good graphics, and a free play that will take months of play to bore you. The story is amazingly diverse, and missions range from robbing banks to giving people rides. There is a cell phone in the game that allows you to call people to arrange dates, drinks, or even missions. The graphics are pretty good, but the attention to detail really hits you if you look for it. The newer cars in the game will actually unlock and lock their wheels under hard braking (ABS), but the older ones will not. They have cutscenes before, throughout, and after all the missions, unique phone calls from each person based on your progress in the game, and other things that take up space on the disk and processing speed. So they did what they could with the graphics, which are really good if you think about what else has to go in to make the game. I have been playing this game for about five months, and just the other day I was driving around and I found a whole new spot of the city I'd never seen before. It is truly amazing game and I can't wait for #5 to come out.
on May 6, 2017
Love this game. Been playing it every night after my kids go to bed. It's cool you get to play 3 different characters.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.