Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,641 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,979 reviews
on June 12, 2014
Looking for something new recently I picked up GTA V. My previous GTA experience was years ago with Vice City and I never did finish that game. On the other hand I was able to stick with GTA V and complete the story mode. Having 3 characters made the game fun. I enjoyed all the characters and cannot decide which is my favorite. There needs to be a more complete manual with this game as there is lots to do. At first the controls can be pretty overwhelming, especially for someone who spends most of their time gaming on PC, but after a while, you remember what all the buttons/sticks do. The storyline experience is fun and I would recommend it. However after the story mode has been completed, I feel the game loses its replay value unless you are someone who thoroughly enjoys playing online. Once all the missions are completed in story mode, you are left to your own devices, although I was sorely disappointed that I couldn't do any more heists, even if by myself. Minus the Lester Assassination missions, the in game stock market is complete rubbish and useless. Apparently R* cares how much in game money one can make in single player.

Online mode is fun, but very limited for the solo player. I realize online mode is for playing with other people, but there are times I just want to partake in single player online play (IE, too many f-Tards in online mode), and when I do I realize how limiting it is. There are only so many missions you can do by yourself and the RP and money is tough to come by considering the prices on apartments, and high end vehicles. Most of the vehicle mod unlocks must be unlocked by winning races against other players and as mentioned, when I play alone there is no way to unlock those mods racing by myself. Again, I realize, by definition, online means playing against/with other people, but there should be more solo content for those of us a bit less extroverted.

If you have friends that also play GTA V, you will no doubt enjoy its online feature immensely and even for those us who prefer to spend a majority of our time in solo play, it can be fun, but you are limited to the missions you can do. Single player (story mode) is fun and worth it, but once over, you'll be left sitting there asking yourself, 'now what?' Real rating is 3.5 stars.
on May 20, 2014
I've been playing these games since GTA III in 2001. Big fan.

Single player:
The missions start off pretty interesting but I feel like the game peaks too early with the first heist. The rest of the heists (and game) are kind of good but not great. The final mission feels really anti-climactic; I was expecting something crazier.

Some of the best moments are simple but silly side missions with interesting characters. I think GTA is best when it sticks to mostly simple assassination missions with a few over-the-top set-piece missions here and there. Missions where you get chased are also cool. I really liked the part in the first heist where you have to escape through the sewers on motorcycles.

Multi player:
Lots of potential fun if you have friends to play with or are not afraid to make friends online. However, I'm kind of disappointed that you have to do everything as your own avatar in the context of the online "world." There's no ability to just jump in and out of lobbies looking for rounds of Cops N Crooks or Races. You have to unlock and access the different missions by driving to them in the "world." You CAN get to new ones once you're in a "lobby" but you will kicked back out to the "world" once that's over.

This makes multiplayer more time-consuming than it needs to be. I can't just jump in and play a Cops N Crooks mission and quit. Speaking of Cops N Crooks, what the hell did they do with it? It was the best mission type in GTA IV by far.

Anyway, I recommend GTA V but not without some reservations. It's a bit bloated but there's definitely some wild fun to be had. I'll probably pick it up on PC when (if?) it comes out.
on February 24, 2015
Hands down the best game on the market to date. I loved this game. Yes it's beatable and I think it only took me 5 or 6 days to beat but it's so much fun! I wish they'd improve the stock market stuff but that's about it. I would like them to improve the character but they always do with each new game. I play all the most popular and best rated games like god of war (2nd favorite) and the mw series, but nothing comes close to the graphics, freeplay, skills, challenge, storyline, and overall wow factor of this game here. I don't even know why I'm making a review ...everyone already knows this is the best game by far and you probably own it too lol. Anyway I doubt you'll find anyone who dislikes this game (morals aside) .
My son will just play this all day if I let him. he just laughs and laughs and has a a great time. we've bought him other games for his age but he hates them and will only play gta5 ... go figure oh well. thanks yall
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2013
I won't get into details or even into the politics surrounding this game. Merely I will compare this to the previous couple of GTA games and list the improvements for those familiar with the series.

+ Vehicle control is VASTLY improved over GTA4. Not quite as 'fake' feeling as the super stable control of GTA SA and GTA VC though. Which is also a plus. Cars can lose control, but it doesn't feel like you're playing Mario Kart nor does it feel bouncy like you're playing Stunt Race FX (remember that one???)

+ Improved story and characters. Basically you have three characters with different personalities. It's kind of a blend of previous GTA archetypes and personalities. You have the young guy trying to make his way in the criminal underworld, you have the deranged nut job, and you have the ex-con with a family who is bored with life and decides to get back in the game. Their stories cross and it makes for one of the more enjoyable main mission story lines in the GTA series.

+ Improved missions. I say this because you have mission checkpointing. If you fail a mission you can continue at the last checkpoint (which means you won't have to do over those tedious parts if that applies to a particular mission - in other words, if you spend 20 minutes carefully setting bombs, then have to evade the cops afterwards, you won't restart the mission if you get caught by the cops, you would just restart at the checkpoint after you detonated the bombs). You also have the option to cancel the mission.

+ Character and vehicle graphics are improved. Not a huge item of contention for most folks since GTA IV looked really good. But the character models are better quality and they are much better articulated. You actually have them moving like real people and even their fingers move independently. Facial expressions are much improved as well. People have more than the basic emotions - their eyes follow others and they react realistically. Cars also have more pop. The lines are cleaner and there is much more detail to the vehicles. Many you can actually tell what car or combination of cars they resemble in real life. It's always fun trying to outrun cops in the car based on a Prius!

+ Banter! This one I really enjoy. Previous games have included a bit, but this is really the first game where the characters truly interact while on missions. And it's not conversation that MUST be heard to advance the game, instead it's a little commentary that adds fun. It also depends on what actions you the player take. For example, when Michael's son gets in the car he changes the station to rap. If you then change the station or turn off the radio he whines and calls Michael an a-hole.

+ Huge open world. And I mean HUGE! It's similar to GTA SA - well, because it's based on Los Angeles. There are many familiar landmarks and buildings. The city has a similar shape, size, and layout - though there is much less sprawl. But it feels very similar to being in the real deal. Once you leave the main Los Santos area, the world is not as similar to the real thing. The outlying areas are not just empty swaths. There is a lot to do out and about in the hinterlands. Rampages, dirtbike and ATV races, even a few extra missions.

+ Virtually no catastrophic bugs. There are the regular little glitches and bugs. But I haven't had any of the Skyrim style bugs that force you to shut down and restart the game. Mostly just getting stuck somewhere (which isn't too bad as long as you can self grenade). But I never got stuck anywhere I couldn't get out of. There are a few interesting little graphical effects, such as people crashing cars in odd ways... but you can't really complain about these things. The game is insanely detailed and I can forgive a few glitches that don't cause me to lose hours of game play by forced restarts. 25% through and not a single restart!

+ Forthcoming GTA online. I am looking forward to playing in the GTA world with friends. And for free! How sweet of a deal is that? I'll update after they launch on October 1.

So until my next few updates, enjoy! I know folks will either love or hate this game. But it's amazing and a vast improvement IMHO on GTA IV.
on November 10, 2013
GTA V (Grand Theft Auto Five), just like all the other GTA games by RockStar, is a sandbox game that focuses on the story of onr character. What makes GTA V so different is that you have the option to play as 3 characters, all with a unique story, which all eventually tie in together.

The story focuses on these 3 characters- Micheal, Franklin, and Trevor. Each character has their own "prolouge" before meeting up with one or the other. Rockstar does a great job with this, and the storyline. Also, this game has a completion system for each mission, and ranks you against friends on what optional objectives/challenges you have completed.

As expected, Rockstar definetley amped up the graphics and physics engine. The world of Los Santos (based on GTA San Andreas) is beautiful and immersive. Everything seems to be dynamic and realistic. In my opinion, the game feels too realistic and stiff. This is not a huge problem however.

There is plenty to do in the game besides the story, and each character has plenty of side missions. Sometimes i find these random side missions to be more interesting than the main story.

The gameplay is practically the same as GTA IV, the target system and cover is better too. Gunfights are fun and less annoying than in IV.

As explained by everyone, the Police is upgraded, and yes, much harder to escape. The cops are unforgiving in this gane, they will hunt you down for punching someone or shooting into the sky. It isnt as bad as percieved, but it gets annoying.
I also never realized how aggravating it is thay when you die, you lose $5000. Sure this isnt that much, but it adds up, and you'll find yourself losing a lot of money at times.
I havent gotten that immersed into Online, but it is great. Rockstar did a great job with this, and it seems to be fair in the loght of MP.
I would give this game 5 stars, but the few gripes that i have made me feel like this game was way too overhyped. The real rating i would give this is more of a 4 and 1/2 star rating. This game is very fun, and has a lot to do, but i find that it gets very boring very quickly. I am looking forward to any possible DLC. This is probably the best sandbox of the year, but definitley not the best of all time. I really liked the story too, favorite one next to Bully. Good Job R*!
on September 2, 2016
I don't purchase games too often and am not a hardcore gamer, but I've always been a fan of the GTA series. GTA V is hands down the best yet. You play as three separate characters, the missions and side missions are fun and challenging. There's a big map, the,story is interesting, some humor thrown in. The graphics are fantastic and music is great, I've only played in story mode so I can't comment to online play.

This is the best GTA so far and one of my favorite video games overall (if not my favorite). I've probably played it from beginning to end about 3 or 4 times so far.
on May 14, 2017
This game is already a classic. Just got a new copy to replace an old damaged one. Not for young children or the overly impressionable However for an adult its great
on October 24, 2013
This is the most awesome game ever developed.

DO NOT let your kids play this.
- Explicit sex
- Drinking
- Drug use
- Violence
- Theft

JUST DON'T DO IT --- DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS PLAY THIS

BUT, the game is AWESOME!!

There are so many tiny details, that make the game so enjoyable. If you yearn for some narcissistic, immoral, cathartic release, THIS IS YOUR Xanadu!

Whether you want to steal a supercar and blast down the highway at 200 Mph, or go one-on-many with the military using a chain gun, this game has EVERYTHING.

There are so many tiny details -- customized cars even have painted brakes! You can play as 3 different characters, who all lead independent lives while you're "playing" someone else...

The big jump from GTA 4 --- YOU NO LONGER GET STUCK ON CHAIRS AND DOORWAYS. THANK YOU, ROCKSTAR. PLEASE GO BACK AND FIX MAX PAYNE 3

The combat system is really good -- it incorporates the "cover" system from MP3, but gives you a choice of "GTA" aiming, assisted, or no aiming.

Occasionally, things go awry.... I was being attacked by a mountain lion, and for no reason, my character pulled out dynamite instead of a machine gun. :-( You can't aim at someone directly behind you :-( You can't "auto-aim" at the nearest aggressor.

PLEASE, Rockstar, if we wanted "realism" we'd be out robbing liquor stores --- what we want is a decent combat system.
on January 2, 2014
Grand Theft Auto is a series that continues to bring laughter, screams, cries, and wails to all of the players. Whether it is from a major character dying or you engaging in battle with cops while having an No-Hit cheat on. GTA V still manages to complete this. Synopsis of review ahead: Get this game now- whether playing it for the laughs or for the excellent well thought out story.

PROS+ _ :

The story. I mean, it's not like The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite, but it is entertaining. It is very exciting and very... "shooty" as in guns are everywhere. Like, blowing up buildings to robbing banks and jewelry stores. The whole thing is action packed and I feel like GTA V has one of the best stories throughout the franchise.

The characters. By far, these characters have the most back story to them in any GTA game ever. Michael's **SPOILERS! SPOILERS!** << fake death and new name >> SPOILERS! SPOILERS!, or Trevor's- yeah, just Trevor. Franklin also is a "cool cat" with his aunt and and all. I don't know, the characters are cool and very interactive.

The graphics. For me, graphics in a game do not matter. I enjoy Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time better than any COD game ever, no matter how "good looking" Call of duty looks like. But the graphics are amazing. Straight out amazing. Whether it is the beautiful city of Los Santos, Sandy Shores, or Blaine County up in Mount Chilliad, the game is one of the most realistic games I have seen. The people look like ... people (except I feel Michael's character model looks kind of funky). The sound effects sound incredible as well. The vehicles in this game have the most realistic sounds ever, and I think all who play this can agree.

The open world. Whether you have the fastest car in the game, or a jet, the world is huge. It can take 10-15 minutes to get to the top of Mount Chilliad on your best day.

The driving: they performed this so well, I feel like it should be its own separate pro. The driving is so cool. You don't feel glued to the road and the cars are just... wow. The planes and boats operate so well.

CONS - _:

Loading times. I understand this is a very hard game to run, but the loading times are pretty long. It takes about 5-8 minutes for it to initially boot up. But this is understandable due to how vast the GTA V world is.

GTA V Online. This is after all the patches, and it's not R*'s fault. Users in the game aim for low level users and kill them over and over and over again. This process becomes annoying and frustrating. But, this does not take away from the main game.

Overall: 10/10 ; 100/100; Yes!

GOTY Worthy: eh... The Last of Us was pretty good... don't know if it can beat that :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 19, 2013
GTA 5 brings the best from all the previous incarnations of the series and makes it bigger better and more bad ass.

With GTA V you get to play three characters and swap between them, crazy Trevor, retired criminal Michael, and Franklin. All the characters are exceptionally written, and play off of each other well. GTA 5 does a great job of providing their own storylines and missions that integrate well into the whole story.

The world is huge and there are plenty of things to keep you distracted while you explore, ranging from random activities to optional side missions. You can explore the upper-class suburbs of Rockford Hills, the beautiful Vespucci Beach, or the sticks of Blaine County. While you are exploring, there is always something interesting to do along the way, such as stopping robbery or other such things.

The narrative is exciting and well written and the missions now with the added element of being able to switch characters bring even more fun to the game.

The game mechanics are better, the graphics are better and possibly some of the best in a game out there today but like most games not without bugs at times and freezing gameplay. With a world this large, I am sure it is maxing out my PS3.

There are so many things to do in this game, I may be playing this still trying to finish until the next major release of GTA comes out.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.