Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Grand Theft Auto V - PlayStation 3
Format: Video Game|Change

on June 17, 2016
Looked even better than I suspected it would, although it's hardcapped to 720p the quality is still amazing on my TV.

Framerate is great throughout the story, everything is smooth and as perfect as it seemed when I played on my brothers PS4. Graphics might be turned down a little, and shaders might be more basic but when you get used to playing it on the PS3 it's honestly great anyway. Though if you bought this game for the graphics, you'd be playing it on PS4 or PC anyways.

The product itself is perfect, although I did not receive a "Greatest Hits" edition, I however received the normal edition for the PS3.

Online play is sporadic, but honestly I didn't buy this game to deal with chumps online. Especially on a controller based console, FPS/TPS are better on PC.

Other than that great buy, and was a very reasonable price.

Graphics are top notch for the system, stability and framerate like I said are perfect, and honestly it feels much better than your average port.
on May 8, 2015
GTA V is such a massive game that it will take a while for me to be able to put into words everything that makes this game truly a fantastic video game and one with the best open world to date.
To start off, the story and the world itself is primarily a satire on modern American society, which exaggerates and emphasizes issues sun as the use of extreme violence, the popularity of the media and technology, and the different types of lives to be lived. In Los Santos, you get to be three characters, which is an opportunity of gaming that I haven't really seen before, the idea to seamlessly transition to another character, doing something completely unscripted in the expansive world of Los Santos. First you have Michael, a rich criminal who decides to enter the business after he enters some rough waters; Franklin, an aspiring repo man who is trying to make it big in the world; and Trevor, the most insane character you could manage to play as in a game. I mean he is insane; pathologically, really.
The story really feels like a crime saga and though it does a fine job in the beginning, with appropriate pacing of it's set pieces and it's characters, the main fault to this game is it's second act. Many hours into the game, you'll find yourself just a bit lost in the narrative, and in a negative way. Far too much is happening for you to really get invested in whats happening, and far too many villains are introduced for me to be able to register their weight and role in the story. I found myself for at least ten hours worth of story missions begrudgingly completing tasks required from me to partake in in order to progress the story, for that reason only. It's written fine, as is the rest of the script, but it's to convoluted and almost feels as if its trying to compete with the massive variety and scope of the open world in what you could do in it.
Thankfully, the third act, which is really after the third to last heist-
I think I should actually mention a part of the story rather than just gloss over it and point out it's flaws. The heist aspect of the story are these massive events that are really being led up to in anticipation, and rarely do these ever disappoint. These heists rake in tons of money from places that you are robbing, and is really the only part in the game where control is 100% given to you.
Which leads into the second point of the story that I would like to make before we reroute back to what I was saying earlier. In most of the side missions, I persistently felt an unnerving sense of hand-holding, in which I was constantly being told what, how, and where to do something. It really took me out of it, and felt like a huge contradiction to the massive amount of freedom that you can get whilst roaming in the open world.
Now, to return to what I was saying...
Thankfully, the third act, which is really after the third to last heist, gets a tone that wasn't seen for the rest of the game. It feels a bit brooding, as if all is leading up to some grand and bombastic finale (which it does, mind you). Secrets and lies are revealed, shots are fired, and the third act makes up for most of the second acts muddled events by having a tighter script and better story progression.
In the gameplay aspect of the game, there are really two things that you will be doing: shooting and driving. Shooting is smooth and responsive, and also generally easy, as GTA V's aim is always lock on (because if it's not then it's damn near impossible to use) and the guns you continue to unlock feel more powerful and rewarding. Cover is very good in the game, some of the best movement i've seen in a game. Gunfights work absolutely well in a gameplay aspect, and I only ever failed because I simply made the wrong tactical choices of movement.
The other main gameplay aspect is the driving; I never played GTA IV, so I have no idea how it is comparatively, but I heard that V is much better. And it really is. Cars have real weight to them, and with practice, drifting can be a cool and advantageous move. Driving feels wonderful and it really is a joy to take a car (which you will most likely have stolen) and drive across the desert as the sun goes down. Gameplay wise GTA V does all that it sets out to do right.
Now for the big one; the real reason why this game is one of the best games of all time: the open world.
It is a huge cliche to say "living, breathing world" when talking about a video game's open world, but this is the first game where I feel that term really encapsulates what Los Santos really feels like. In most other games I play I feel that the world revolves around me, and while in some games it's fine, like in Infamous 2, sometimes it feels good to see a world evolving in it's own ways, not giving you all the attention. The citizens of Los Santos are living their own lives, driving to a specific destination, taking their dog out for a walk, talking on the phone (and to my surprise, I have never heard the same phone conversation twice, even including in GTA Online). Not only that, but the world is simply gorgeous, and one of the best-looking games on the system.
Not only does the world feel alive and as if it has it's own personality, but there is also so much that you can do in it. The world map will give you things to find, such as certain missions that will even possibly unlock other branching missions; but, unlike many other games, I was actually rewarded with scouring the city and Blaine county, because that allowed me to find many of the other missions not shown to me, and many of the MANY random encounters that you can run into in the world. It's so seamless that it feels organic, like it just naturally appeared and somehow now an NPC has a new story to tell me. If you keep driving in San Andreas, chances are you will see someone calling out at you, doing something curious, or holding up a store (which amazingly you can either stop them from finishing the job or actually aid them in their escape). For the first time I would have to define a certain aspect of a game as perfect. GTA V is not my favorite game, nor is it a 10/10, but it's open world is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen with countless activities and races to participate, people to meet, and genuinely interesting tasks to complete. There is absolutely no flaw in the open world, as far as I could tell.
GTA V is a masterpiece. It comes damn close to bring my favorite game, with incredible gameplay and a awe-inspiring open world to explore. It only fails in the second act of it's story, and it only fails because it tries too hard. And even then it's first and particularly it's third act is simply exquisite.
This game is a marvel, and must be played. Be warned of the poor choice you are making if you choose to not.
9.8/10
on November 16, 2014
As soon as the package arrived in my mail box I ran to go and get it, ripped the envelope open and shoved the disc into my ps3.

I've played for about 12 or 13 hours, granted most of that time was spent playing online so I've only made about 9.8% progress on the actual story. Rockstar really nailed it with this one, it seems like such a huge step above GTA IV, if they never made another one this could easily by the grand finale.

Story: As soon as you boot up GTA V (after about 10 to 15 minutes of downloads and updates) you are shoved straight into a heist featuring Michael, Trevor and some other guy. The whole point of this is simply to teach you the basic controls. What follow the tutorial are endlessly entertaining missions, side-quests, recreational mini-games and so much more. I haven't even made a dent on the list of things to do.

Online: GTA V Online seems free working perfectly fine right now. After creating your online character (in great detail) you are welcomed to the world of Los Santos with a racing tutorial and a tutorial on store hold ups. After these are completed you are free to pillage at your leisure. It is true that other players will relentlessly murder you for a quick buck so I recommend you store your hard earned cash in the bank.

All in all I'm incredibly impressed with both the online feature and especially with the story and I would recommend GTA V to anyone who enjoys a genuinely addicting game.
on December 13, 2017
6/5, 11/10! I Love this game!!! I couldn't put it down since the moment I got it! Rockstar's attention to detail in this game is amazing! The three characters is a great addition to the game itself. For me, I love games with huge and inclusive maps, and this game has a HUGE AND INCLUSIVE map. The first mission, where Micheal, Trevor and the crew robbed the bank just had me say "wow" when it was done. This game is really all Rockstar has been working for in a Grand Theft Auto game. I'm really taking my time with this, and not rushing a single thing. I know that even when the next GTA comes out, if another comes out, I'll still play this, because it's that good. If you're on the fence about getting it, please, don't listen to anything negative, it's not worth a debate. Just buy it now. If you have a newer generation console, consider buying it on there, because there's a bit more added, besides the graphics. All in all. This game is a 6/5, or an 11/10. Props to you Rockstar! Props to you!
on June 12, 2014
Looking for something new recently I picked up GTA V. My previous GTA experience was years ago with Vice City and I never did finish that game. On the other hand I was able to stick with GTA V and complete the story mode. Having 3 characters made the game fun. I enjoyed all the characters and cannot decide which is my favorite. There needs to be a more complete manual with this game as there is lots to do. At first the controls can be pretty overwhelming, especially for someone who spends most of their time gaming on PC, but after a while, you remember what all the buttons/sticks do. The storyline experience is fun and I would recommend it. However after the story mode has been completed, I feel the game loses its replay value unless you are someone who thoroughly enjoys playing online. Once all the missions are completed in story mode, you are left to your own devices, although I was sorely disappointed that I couldn't do any more heists, even if by myself. Minus the Lester Assassination missions, the in game stock market is complete rubbish and useless. Apparently R* cares how much in game money one can make in single player.

Online mode is fun, but very limited for the solo player. I realize online mode is for playing with other people, but there are times I just want to partake in single player online play (IE, too many f-Tards in online mode), and when I do I realize how limiting it is. There are only so many missions you can do by yourself and the RP and money is tough to come by considering the prices on apartments, and high end vehicles. Most of the vehicle mod unlocks must be unlocked by winning races against other players and as mentioned, when I play alone there is no way to unlock those mods racing by myself. Again, I realize, by definition, online means playing against/with other people, but there should be more solo content for those of us a bit less extroverted.

If you have friends that also play GTA V, you will no doubt enjoy its online feature immensely and even for those us who prefer to spend a majority of our time in solo play, it can be fun, but you are limited to the missions you can do. Single player (story mode) is fun and worth it, but once over, you'll be left sitting there asking yourself, 'now what?' Real rating is 3.5 stars.
on January 6, 2014
This game is amazing, and I hate to give it less than 5 stars but bear with me.
First the good: It's a massive game, vibrant and with graphical improvements over GTA IV that will make you wonder how they can do that on the exact same console. The sounds and sights are great, the range of vehicles, sub games and activities is massive. There are far less friend interactions and dating and such than GTA IV, but there's still plenty to do.
The controlls are excellently refined and easy to use. It makes having three characters to switch between not only an easy experience, but also a lot of fun. Got stuck? Switch characters and come back in a couple game hours. Want some extra fun, leave one character at a block and switch to another - drive back to that block and watch them interact.
Remember the witch hunt for the hidden/unfinished/unpublished sex games in GTA III? Well guess what - GTA V makes up for some lost time with nudity - male flaccid and female breasts in single player. There are some good side quests with additional sex content as well.
The game is more scripted and plays a little bit more like a movie. It is over quicker than other GTAs I thought.
It's a little less "realistic" for many things than previous games. The violence is a little muted, cars don't damage as easily and handle better than other GTAs.

The downside is they are prioritizing development for the online side of things. If you like the online experience then you're in luck and that's probably a 6th star instead of a subtraction. If you're even just slightly not thrilled with it, then you realize quickly that you are losing out in single player mode. You have access too fewer updates, fewer cars, less content. And of course they want you to pay extra money for the online stuff. Not a reason to not buy the game, but it is disappointing if you're happy playing single player and start to realize that until the next paid DLC, you're out of luck.

Also, this game really isn't for 12 year olds. The fact that you hear them playing online all the time is really disappointing.
on July 17, 2017
This game is super fun. Epic graphics, so much to do. Got it on a sunday thanks to amazon prime AND I had ordered it on a friday. Literally blew my mind. Got so excited I played all day and still only have two of the characters that you play as. Love it because i just got done playing san andreas, which is also amazing, so it was a crazy step up. So good on the ps3. Came with a super fun physical map which is just cool to have. Good storyline and i really like the characters that you play. I enjoy this so much!
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2013
I won't get into details or even into the politics surrounding this game. Merely I will compare this to the previous couple of GTA games and list the improvements for those familiar with the series.

+ Vehicle control is VASTLY improved over GTA4. Not quite as 'fake' feeling as the super stable control of GTA SA and GTA VC though. Which is also a plus. Cars can lose control, but it doesn't feel like you're playing Mario Kart nor does it feel bouncy like you're playing Stunt Race FX (remember that one???)

+ Improved story and characters. Basically you have three characters with different personalities. It's kind of a blend of previous GTA archetypes and personalities. You have the young guy trying to make his way in the criminal underworld, you have the deranged nut job, and you have the ex-con with a family who is bored with life and decides to get back in the game. Their stories cross and it makes for one of the more enjoyable main mission story lines in the GTA series.

+ Improved missions. I say this because you have mission checkpointing. If you fail a mission you can continue at the last checkpoint (which means you won't have to do over those tedious parts if that applies to a particular mission - in other words, if you spend 20 minutes carefully setting bombs, then have to evade the cops afterwards, you won't restart the mission if you get caught by the cops, you would just restart at the checkpoint after you detonated the bombs). You also have the option to cancel the mission.

+ Character and vehicle graphics are improved. Not a huge item of contention for most folks since GTA IV looked really good. But the character models are better quality and they are much better articulated. You actually have them moving like real people and even their fingers move independently. Facial expressions are much improved as well. People have more than the basic emotions - their eyes follow others and they react realistically. Cars also have more pop. The lines are cleaner and there is much more detail to the vehicles. Many you can actually tell what car or combination of cars they resemble in real life. It's always fun trying to outrun cops in the car based on a Prius!

+ Banter! This one I really enjoy. Previous games have included a bit, but this is really the first game where the characters truly interact while on missions. And it's not conversation that MUST be heard to advance the game, instead it's a little commentary that adds fun. It also depends on what actions you the player take. For example, when Michael's son gets in the car he changes the station to rap. If you then change the station or turn off the radio he whines and calls Michael an a-hole.

+ Huge open world. And I mean HUGE! It's similar to GTA SA - well, because it's based on Los Angeles. There are many familiar landmarks and buildings. The city has a similar shape, size, and layout - though there is much less sprawl. But it feels very similar to being in the real deal. Once you leave the main Los Santos area, the world is not as similar to the real thing. The outlying areas are not just empty swaths. There is a lot to do out and about in the hinterlands. Rampages, dirtbike and ATV races, even a few extra missions.

+ Virtually no catastrophic bugs. There are the regular little glitches and bugs. But I haven't had any of the Skyrim style bugs that force you to shut down and restart the game. Mostly just getting stuck somewhere (which isn't too bad as long as you can self grenade). But I never got stuck anywhere I couldn't get out of. There are a few interesting little graphical effects, such as people crashing cars in odd ways... but you can't really complain about these things. The game is insanely detailed and I can forgive a few glitches that don't cause me to lose hours of game play by forced restarts. 25% through and not a single restart!

+ Forthcoming GTA online. I am looking forward to playing in the GTA world with friends. And for free! How sweet of a deal is that? I'll update after they launch on October 1.

So until my next few updates, enjoy! I know folks will either love or hate this game. But it's amazing and a vast improvement IMHO on GTA IV.
on March 8, 2018
Really awesome game to be honest, the story itself is great and I love the characters even more. It makes for good time killing when you're hanging around with spare time, but not enough time to get notable things done.

The online aspect is a bit left to be desired to be frank, a lot of hackers are online at least for the PS3 version and thus hurt the experience. I do wish the customization for online was able to progress fully without having to rely on match with humans (previous statement relates here).
on September 19, 2013
GTA 5 brings the best from all the previous incarnations of the series and makes it bigger better and more bad ass.

With GTA V you get to play three characters and swap between them, crazy Trevor, retired criminal Michael, and Franklin. All the characters are exceptionally written, and play off of each other well. GTA 5 does a great job of providing their own storylines and missions that integrate well into the whole story.

The world is huge and there are plenty of things to keep you distracted while you explore, ranging from random activities to optional side missions. You can explore the upper-class suburbs of Rockford Hills, the beautiful Vespucci Beach, or the sticks of Blaine County. While you are exploring, there is always something interesting to do along the way, such as stopping robbery or other such things.

The narrative is exciting and well written and the missions now with the added element of being able to switch characters bring even more fun to the game.

The game mechanics are better, the graphics are better and possibly some of the best in a game out there today but like most games not without bugs at times and freezing gameplay. With a world this large, I am sure it is maxing out my PS3.

There are so many things to do in this game, I may be playing this still trying to finish until the next major release of GTA comes out.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.