Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,886 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,389 reviews
on September 30, 2015
This game rocks! Being a 30+ year game vet. I've seen everything from PONG to what's on the shelves now.

The allowance for the 1st person aspect seems to almost give the game new meaning. Driving is a little harder and flying takes getting used to. Still, the 1st person aspect is like getting a new game and makes you want to play through the whole story over again.

There are a few irritations i have with this game like it being called "Grand Theft Auto"....and there are LOTS of cars you can't steal. I know, right, that's like calling something "Grand Eat Pancakes" and telling someone they can only eat the top one. Sooner or later, if you play long enough, you will get pulled into a few "glitches" that are irritating. I've actually seen someone get into a tank, that gets caught in a back alley and it looks like the tank is "break" dancing. Crazy, right?

Still, as a whole, the game is fantastic and they are still adding modes and possibilities to it so, die-hard games, BUY it!

Adult Content Honesty Warning: Now, i have to be honest to some parents here, there is a LOT of cursing going on during the Single player mode and you can walk down the street and hear a ton during the Multiplayer mode. .There is also a ton of blood and violence in this game, it was MADE for people who don't mind it.

For those of you who are against this kind of thing, this is my advice: Don't protest, don't write letters, don't complain....if you don't like it just don't buy it...and move on. History has shown us that, by making such a fuss...you just make it more popular and make more people want to play it :)
on June 17, 2016
I'll be honest - this is the first Grand Theft Auto game that I've actually taken the time to complete the missions on. I have played GTA San Andreas and Vice City in the past, but by "played" I mean mostly just tear the city up with cheat codes to make myself invincible and have my own fun with it. Though I did buy this game back in July of 2015, I just recently got into it hardcore and dove through the rest of the missions in the last two weeks, mostly due to my not having a job at the moment and gaining a crap ton of free time to indulge in GTA. Anyway, onto my actual review of this amazing game.

People were not wrong when they said this game is so massive and detailed with numerous areas of Los Santos to explore and take on various complex missions in. Part of the fun is just driving around the big city and wandering off to the desert land and seeing what mischief I can put Trevor, Michael, or Franklin through. Though I haven't yet purchased the most fancy and souped-up cars or the biggest choppers available, it's still a lot of fun to bum around in the cars flowing through traffic and take on the cops when I'm feeling lucky. Generally, when I rack up one or two stars, it's not that difficult to evade the cops' paths and get away with my madness. As I hit 3 or the rare (for me) 4 stars, that's when I run into trouble and likely end up walking out of a hospital 10 minutes later. That's all just some of the craziness you can get yourself into, but let's move onto the three main characters, shall we?

Michael: Out of the three characters available, I enjoy Michael the most. While he goes after these incredibly insane heists and pulls in gobs of money behind authority, he tries to remain calm and collected about everything and not make the job any more difficult than it has to be. He's got a family that he cares immensely about, keeping them out of harm's way when deals may or may not fall through (spoiler?). He's also got a sweet house and certainly knows how to spend his money. I also just like his personality and how he handles situations throughout the game.

Franklin: "Rising" from the hood, Franklin is more on the neutral side for me. I don't like him, but I don't dislike him. He doesn't exactly have the life Michael has, but isn't down in the dumps like Trevor either. At the beginning of the game, life isn't really all rainbows and unicorns for Franklin, and not much is going his way or for him. As missions are completed and life progresses, however, it slowly changes for the better, without me giving too much away.

Trevor: Oh boy. Trevor is definitely his own person. I would never want to run into him in a dark alley in the middle of the day. There's no telling what he has in mind for anyone in GTA V, friend or foe. Half the time, when I played as Trevor during a mission or one of the "Strangers and Freaks" side missions, I never really knew what to expect from him during the cut scenes and interrogations. Really the only two what I would consider R-rated portions of the game for Trevor are is when he's first introduced in the game and when he meets with Floyd and Debra in Floyd's apartment.

Now that I've given some insight on each character and my take on them, I'd like to take some time for pros and cons. Sound good, yes?

Pros:
- It's pretty damn easy to make money, and from various ways. There's the stock market, which, unlike in real life, doesn't ever crash, just dips up and down. Besides that, there are the heists that you accomplish which end up bringing in loads of cash, depending largely on who your crew members are. On the smaller side, there are random events that can lead to some pocket change as well.
- Guns are easy to get, maybe too easy. Just stop at Ammu-Nation when you've got some dough and you've got a plethora of weaponry to choose from.
- There's Vanilla Unicorn: Gentlemen's Club (aka Strip Club) right around Franklin's neighborhood that you can check out if you ever feel so inclined.
- Endless opportunity for exploring, new activities, having it out with the cops, races, you name it.

Cons:
- I realize it's Rockstar, and this is a rated Mature game and all that stuff, but I still feel that they used the N word a little excessively. As one of the first posters mentioned, many of the lines are literally scripted with the N word in there at least 4 or 5 times. It's not like it affected me, because it didn't. It's just annoying when two characters are constantly babbling at each other with that kind of language, so I fully agree with that poster. Unfortunately, for me, this cost the game a star.
- There's kind of a lot you have to do to reach that 100% completion mark. Not only do you have to complete all 69 missions, but there are I think like 4 or 5 other categories of beefy material you need to cover in the game to really finish it off. I guess it's a con because after you've done it all, what else is there left to work towards in the game, besides more money?
- GTA Online requires Xbox Live Gold, so I'll probably never be online, but that isn't a huge issue anyway.

Other than that, this is an excellent game, and I highly recommend any GTA and Rockstar Games fans to check it out (and are of mature age of course, not sure if even 17 cuts it at a mature level with this one) and see for yourself just how large of a game this is and consider the amount of money, time, and effort that went into this beast of a video game.
on September 24, 2014
The story is fun and brings back everything I loved about the past GTAs.

Pick up a hooker. Pay her. Shoot her in the face.

Trip on drugs and shoot aliens (very Saints Row of them).

The graphics are really good for the 360. The cars look amazing. The controls and the gameplay are amazing. The online is fun to an extent.

I will say that the online multiplayer really is an experience best done with friends. You will likely hear a bunch of 7-year olds arguing with 20-year olds and they will honestly have a verbal engagement. It's astonishing. You would think the young adult could just ignore the 7-year old's multiple conquests with his mother. He cannot, however. He must retaliate!

Or you will get the random level 300 guy with perfect armor on his vehicle that will try to kill you repeatedly. He will likely succeed because his vehicle can also survive a sticky bomb blast as well. You can't shoot him--forget that.

You will suffer playing with others in this game. They will kill you in cooperative missions. They will kill you in competitive missions.

It's still fun. The flying is great. I love to fly all the planes and helicopters and love the races. The parachuting mini-game is also a blast.

The game is also constantly given updates and gear to purchase. It's not going to be the exact same game everyone was playing 2 months ago.

The game overall is still a blast given its flaws. The single player was outstanding. The multiplayer helped to stretch it out.
on October 16, 2013
Grand Theft Auto 5 most certainly lives up to its astounding hype and sets yet another boundary for open-world gaming. Grand Theft Auto over the years has garnered a tremendous amount of praise (and controversy) as the pinnacle of open-world gaming today. With its excellent story, characters, gameplay, and variety of things to do, GTA 5 will most indefinitely provide an enjoyable experience for any mature gamer.

Grand Theft Auto 5's story is amazing, and matches, sometimes even surpasses, the quality of many of the finest Hollywood films. I won't go into too much detail, but the decision to have 3 main characters in the story served it very well, and the narrative is greatly enhanced by this trio. Each character is different in his own way, in nearly everything, from his motivations to his skills. As with any good open-world game, your decisions have a major impact on the story and you can really see that easily. The voice acting for all the characters is superb, and the dialogue is some of the finest that I've heard in a videogame. It keeps the game entertaining and interesting the whole way through, and you can be assured that there's many laugh-out-loud moments to be had. The entire story, along with its colorful cast of characters and vibrant dialogue, serves as a great social commentary on the America of today, and really provokes your thought.

The gameplay of Grand Theft Auto 5 is fantastic, and is fun as the day is long. There's an astounding number of things that you can buy and do, ranging from purchasing a tank on the internet to playing darts at your local bar. All of these activities are presented to you in one way or another across the length of the storyline, and whether or not you choose to do many of these is entirely up to you. There's surely something here for everyone, and many of the unstructured things you can do are mostly the most fun. The gameplay, while very complex, is extremely easy to pick up, even for a relatively inexperienced newcomer to this genre as I was. Using your skills to make money, find stores, and buy things is extremely rewarding. Part of how much you'll enjoy this game is how much you're willing to work and immerse yourself in this world. If you're the type of person who just plays through the main missions and then quits, you'll still have a lot of fun with this game, but not anywhere near how much someone who takes their time to collect things, do the side missions, and just simply explore will. The game world is huge, and it will take you a very long time to explore all of it and discover all its secrets (if you're an avid Rockstar gamer, then here's some perspective: the map of GTA 5 is bigger than the maps of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas, and GTA 4 combined, with some room still left to spare). As with any game as large as this, there are inevitably some bugs, but most of these are very hard to notice or very menial. However, there have been a few cases of game-breaking bugs. To give you an idea of how many things there are to do in this game, keep this in mind: I've played for over 40 hours total, and I'm barely above 75% done with game completion.

GTA Online is an ambitious, humongous addition to this already-great game. In short, you can do anything in online that you can do in singleplayer, but with up to 16 friends at once. The entire map is available online, and new additional content is constantly being put out for free. Multiplayer will provide many more hours of entertainment and shenanigans to you, and the experience is enhanced so much more if you're playing with a few friends.

In conclusion, Grand Theft Auto 5 is an exceptional game, and it's worth every penny. The singleplayer, with its excellent story, characters, and variety of things to do, along with the extensive multiplayer, will provide many, many hours of quality gameplay and entertainment for you. If you're a mature gamer who is willing to work hard, explore, and have fun, then this game is for you.
on December 7, 2013
I had high expectations for this game even though I was never that big of a fan of the GTA series; I LOVED Red Dead Redemption to no end, and so was very interested in how dynamic and awesome and freeing this game looked.

I'm happy to say it exceeded expectations. I'm not really extremely attached to the characters in their storylines, but that's okay, because the rest of the game is so much fun. I dare say, it's quite therapeutic how real it is, and the sense of freedom. There are plenty of long reviews here, so I'll finish with Pros and Cons.

Pros:
-Huge amount of freedom and just... too many hours of sadistic fun
-taking a nice walk or sane drive through the city is a beautiful and real-feeling experience, and almost as much fun as causing havoc
-really fun storyline
-dynamic, different characters that are very different from each other, and quite entertaining
-great driving, great shooting, and great graphics
-for those who live in the LA area, this game recreates many of those areas to scary detail and accuracy, including Venice Beach
-the small details are so extensive that you don't notice them until you play a different game

Cons
-as good as the shooting is, I was a bit disappointed because I felt it didn't live up to the Red Dead Redemption standards. Killing is nowhere near as fun or as detailed as in Red Dead
-Dying is a bit too easy, but hey, that's perfectly realistic so it's not so bad. I do wish it showed you die, rather than cutting off so early. There's something fun about watching yourself dead for longer than it allows in this game
-I don't feel too personally attached to the characters, but that doesn't take away from how fun they are
-Jumbo jets blow up way too easily... like if you drive into a trash can

So, despite some minor setbacks, this game is well beyond worth it if you need an escape! It's massive, and a great deal of fun. I still go back to Red Dead Redemption sometimes, but they are admittedly very different games, so that is okay with me!
on April 19, 2014
I have had this game for about 4 months now. I haven't played any other game for those 4 months. Which is weird for me I normally play a game for about 1 week to a 1 month before i get tired and move on. This review is for just the single player (my internet is bad so i normally just play single player but with my short tome in GTA Online I loved it).

PROS!!!

-Great story, very immersive. Its like a great book or tv show you've been binge watching, your sad when the story ends but your happy for the characters!

-AMAZING graphics... No other game comes close, sometimes I feel like the game is more beautiful then the real world XD

-They make it fun to drive(or fly or walk or boat or swim, depending on your preference) I didn't use a taxi at all I drive everywhere its that much fun

-Great introduction of the stock system... If you play your cards right(like I did) you will end up with about 1 billion(I ended up with 773 million with franklin)

-Beautiful realist sounds

-SO MUCH COMEDY I ALMOST CRIED

CONS!!!

-When I played online the graphics were not as great as the single player ones but they didn't disappoint me

-Language, I had to use headphones(I normally do though) so my mom wouldn't get offended

OVERALL!!!

This game is my favorite of all time, if you are even thinking about not getting this then you are crazy(still not as crazy as trevor though XD)
on December 24, 2013
Understandably GTA 5 is the blockbuster title that everyone was expecting. There is no doubt that Rockstar threw everything they had at this game and it shows. Without further ado, I will go straight to the pros:
1. Everything looks amazing for the 360. The developers clearly know how to get the most out of the machine.
2.Everything has perfect animations to their movements. Nothing looks unnatural.
3. The story is what you would expect out of a GTA game, with a ton of gunplay violence and most of all chaotic fun. The added addition of numerous planes, helicopters & boats also make a great addition in this regard. Its high stakes, and big set pieces at every turn.
4. The characters make me feel like I am in a modern day Mafia movie. I got the feeling that I was in like a "Goodfellas 2" or something like that.

Ok now to my cons and although they are few, I think they should be addressed for the sake of good criticism.
1. The main storyline seems like its a tad too short. At the end, I thought they could have fleshed out our characters a bit more. The game itself was a good length, but the time spent jumping from character to character makes it feel substantially shorter.
2. There needs to be more stuff to do besides just kill things. I am talking mini games and oddities to explore. It almost seems a shame that they have such a large, beautiful and alive world, yet not have a ton to do besides just go to the next mission. Their are a few distractions, however they did not feel as fun as I would have liked them too after the first few times around. (Stocks, sports & Internet oddities) I think they could have benefited from bringing back older mini game classics, such as bowling, taxi service, casinos and an ice cream truck. Perhaps even a chicken suit or something you can dance around in.

I think that about sums it up for me and I cant think of a better way to end a gaming consoles life then through this title. This certainly is a proper burial for the 360. I am very pleased and besides my negative thoughts, I cant find it in myself to give this anything than what it deserves 5/5. It simply did what not a lot of other developers are doing, pushed the ball uphill in terms of a believable and alive virtual environment. Thank you Rockstar, I really enjoyed myself.
on December 31, 2013
Yeah, it's that good. Yeah, it's more than addictive, and after you finish the game you have online mode - or you don't have to wait. They are still working on technical issues on that with people hacking and cheating, but as I saw one reviewer comment "When it is working right, there is no experience quite like GTA V Online". The game is primarily good for the voice actors and the excellent script writing. Song choices are not as good or as inspired as in last games. Other than 2 Waylon Jennings songs, a Phil Collins oldie, a Robyn song, and the FlyLo channel, there is not a lot of good music, but the game music is the best of the series for ambient background. So very vulgar and profane, where to start? You need to be exposed to this if you have kids, because they are - you need to know what they are into so you can explain and demystify it. I let my kids play, but I monitor usage and allow no unsupervised first walk-through's - however bad it is we hear it together, so I can comment, or sometimes just turn one off and say - OK, we don't have to listen to that. Rockstar has made it deliberately provocative so that parents have NO excuse for letting their kids play this game - there is no way you could not know. We are trying not to get burned out and play too much, and focus on the teamwork and family togetherness of multiplayer and the characters themselves. There are plenty of boring, dull repetitive things, but you don't have to do them. Also lots of trolls, killers, hackers, and cheaters - but there are ways to avoid them, and report them, and I have confidence that Rockstar will clean it up, and that this will be an ongoing process. We are in uncharted territory for a game like this - technically, creatively - you name it - but it's an experience you should not deprive yourself of if you have ever played a video game and/or want or claim to know what's in popular culture - you'll be left out if you are not in on this. We are very glad we jumped in; it's immersive, so get your scuba gear on!
on December 30, 2013
I originally purchased this game at a local store for my son for Christmas. A few days later, I happened to be shopping on Amazon and noticed that Amazon offered this game for approximately $20.00 less than what I purchased it for. I quickly returned the game to my local store and ordered it from Amazon.

The game is definitely for older children (17+) and is not something you would want Granny or younger children to see or hear! In fact, I don’t really want to see or hear it! Not for the faint of heart at all. The violence is graphic, the swearing is plentiful... enough to make a truck driver blush, but the storylines are interesting and quickly draw in the player. My son has played it for hours since receiving it and he loves it. He said the graphics are really good too.

However, one issue to address is the fact that this game requires additional storage. My son’s Xbox 360 gaming system did not have enough storage capacity, thus requiring additional storage to be purchased in order to play the game. We went to our local electronic store to find out what we needed to purchase. We were advised that we needed to purchase an Xbox 360 flash drive. Of course, since it was Christmas, and I was apparently the only person in the world that didn't know that this game required additional storage, the local store had completely sold out of the flash drives. My son was clearly disappointed thinking that it may be several days before he would be able to play this game (I know, a “first world problem"); however, I decided to explore my options and see if an external hard drive would work. I purchased a “My Passport” Ultra portable hard drive with 2TB. After hooking up the portable hard drive to the USB port of the gaming system, we were able to follow the instructions on the television screen and load the game. So far, my son has not experienced any problems with using a non-Microsoft storage unit.

Thank you Amazon for offering this game at an affordable price!
on July 7, 2014
okay - first I need to disclose that I purchased this as a gift for my 13yr old son. My son is pretty level headed and mature for his age. yet, he is a typical teen at times. The game is pretty cool and I "used" to play a lot of video games in my youth many many years ago but only play occasionally now. So, as an older male parent I am a bit perplexed as to why they had to include so much profanity. Looking at it from one side (I am no prude) I get a bit uncomfortable with the constant barrage of swearing. So this is a fair warning for those households who don't allow profanity into the house. Buying this game would definitely break that rule. On the flip side, I still remember being a young teen in middle school and the language in the game doesn't exceed that of the school yard (sometimes that not saying much). The other issue that comes up is the strip clubs and mission. Not a huge issue as I have seen much worse on network TV and commercials. For the game itself, it is one of my sons favorites. My sister who has a late teen boy and the game suggested I not get the game for my son and wait. Looking back and having it to do over again, I may have taken her advise and waited to buy until he was 14.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.