Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on June 14, 2016
I loved this book and I think it gives young designers a really good lay of the land as far as career direction and the job market. I found a lot of her advice a little bit advanced for me. I am a junior designer and much of the book seems geared toward designers who are mid-level. For example there is a lot of advice on starting your own business, on freelancing full-time, etc. However the parts of the book on resumes, looking for jobs, specializing, and interviewing were extremely helpful.

Overall I think this is a great book. What I think it lacks is a lot of actionable advice. The author definitely leaves much of her observation open-ended. Despite that small downside and the fact that much of the book's topics are a little too advanced for someone like me, I think it is a book that all designers should have in their design library.
on February 29, 2016
Such a great read! Well done! This is such a tough topic because as designers we are creative first. So we have to learn not to take critiques personally for one. We also have to realize that design by committee stinks. We must learn when to fire our clients. We must also learn to only show design ideas we like to the clients, because otherwise they would pick the one you don't like if you added it in their for good measure. It's the push pull of being a creative vs. trying to run a business. It talks about how to try to stay true to yourself creatively and to just go with it if a process gets out of hand, then move on.
on October 15, 2017
It's ok, but somewhere it is difficult to read, not a good design, light gray letters on a dark gray background. I do not see them if I read it in the evening under a lamp.
on May 21, 2017
A good read for someone about to enter the trade. Old news to anyone who has been there. The stories can be applied to many other professions too.
on November 2, 2011
I had to buy this book for class and I'm so glad I did. Definitely get the new version! (Most of the old one is available on google books for free anyway...) The edits are relavant to what's going on in graphic design now. As a student, I feel like this book contains a lot of helpful information not always taught in design programs. Get reading!
Top Contributor: Petson December 21, 2014
I am currently a graphic design student and enjoyed the advice and perspective this book gave me, I recommend it to all those aspiring designers out there.
on December 31, 2016
I bought this for school. It was okay.
on March 13, 2017
A gift for my nephew as a senior in college. Recommended by a well established graphic artist as one of the essentials for a library.
on October 22, 2009
This book gives a lot of great information on dealing with clients and getting paid, Etc. This is a great purchase for any designer, fresh out of school and looking for jobs but is confused about the process of dealing with clients.

I definitely recommend this one to everyone.
on May 4, 2015
Awesome book! The only thing I would have liked to see was maybe some sample invoices, SOWs or other documents. Shaughnessy describes in depth how your decision should be informed, but it would have been nice to see some real examples. I'm sure there are other books out there that go more in depth in this regard, so I don't really have any complaints. I would highly recommend.