Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on June 19, 2011
I joined a BJJ school (Gracie) last week and did my first class on Friday. I have no grappling experience, and around 3 years experience in other (striking) martial arts- Kung Fu, Muay Thai, etc. I realized that I'd definitely need an overview of this grappling thing before getting started. I bought this today, a little unsure based on the reviews and price, but was quite pleasantly surprised. I figure with school fees, buying a gi or two and a few other pieces of training gear, I could throw $3 away on this if it wasn't any good. It's a short read (read it in about an hour) but I thought it covered a very logical group of subjects. I figure I came away with about 20 useful tips, worth well beyond 3 bucks. Especially the tips relating to (very roughly) planning out your Jiu Jitsu "career" (i.e. gi vs. no-gi, belt advancement, etc.). I'd hate to get 300 classes into BJJ and then realize I'd been focusing on the wrong things at the start. I think after reading this I have enough info to not only dive into grappling, but also make some good decisions as my training unfolds.. Two thumbs up.
on January 6, 2011
This book really is something that should be handed out at BJJ academies as far as I'm concerned. When I first began training, I had absolutely NO idea what to expect from training bjj, even though I wrestled in high school and watched a class to get an idea.

It's a totally foreign experience, even if you're a fan of the UFC, etc. Actually getting on the mat and training with people is something very different. All of the author's advice is sound and accurate and if you listen, could save even some experienced vets a fair amount of trouble.

Some of the most interesting points the author makes are in regards to training and ego. I saw a lot of ego at play when I trained and I suffered from it myself as well. Using technique instead of power, training different positions, understanding that there is politics at play in each different academy you attend, these are important topics.

This book is really an A-Z of things you need to consider when undertaking training of MMA. It really isn't things that a friend could tell you in 15 minutes over coffee as another reviewer stated. To the contrary, this book may be short but it's clearly borne out of years of in-depth thought and study of jiu jitsu. As such, it's really a hidden gem and I hope that more practitioners will avail themselves of it!
on January 1, 2011
This book is exactly what it says it is- a short guide for people who are just starting to think about getting into grappling/BJJ. It is basically a series of very short essays (think blog posts) collected together that would give a new person an introduction to the politics and workings of a BJJ school. It is the kind of advice that a knowledgeable friend would give you if you spent 15min with him over a cup of coffee. I would not recommend this to anyone who has spent more than a month or so training (you should have already figured it out by now) or to someone who already has a martial arts background (there is nothing new).

Here are some of my specific criticisms of the book (in no particular order):
- It is very short (~900 kindle locations, probably 60pg if it was printed). I don't have a problem with short in and of it self, but...
- Each essay was his own opinion from his own experience. There wasn't much to flesh out his thesis. I didn't disagree with them, but they frequently were one dimensional. For example, his argument for wearing gi was that it made it easier to advance in belt rank (three paragraphs). He gives a token paragraph to the difficulties of going from years of training no-gi to figthing someone in a gi and a token paragraph to its utility in street fighting. There are alot of benefits to training in a gi that have nothing to do with rank which he completely ignores (friction, competition, etc).
- He included a chapter on Charlatans, but doesn't ever really tell you want to look for when evaluating a new school. Sure an experienced guy can see if the instructor knows what he's doing, but what about some poor Mother trying to find a place for her fifteen year old son to train? Personally, I like to watch the interactions. Do the instructors have control of the class? Are people respectful to one another? What does the atmosphere feel like (friendly, angry, fearful, etc)? How are meat heads dealt with? etc.
- The book is poorly organized with the chapters scattered about. This isn't a big worry as short as the book it, but sheesh.
- It would have been nice if he had included some other points of view in the book. The chapter on training with women is great from the "don't let your ego interfere if the little girl taps you" perspective, but it is sadly lacking from the "women want you to train with them, not coddle them" perspective. As a woman, I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell guys to do the drill properly, because they are afraid they are going to hurt me, etc, etc.
- Finally, the book would have benefited from a few extra chapters dealing with some of the grappling specific frequently asked questions. Not an instruction book, but maybe a chapter explaining some basic terminology and positions. ie, what is base, what is the difference between cross sides vs side control vs side mount (yes, I know they are all the same), etc. The terminology learning curve can be frustrating for both the newbies and their more experienced partners. Given the audience for the book, this would not have been superfluous.
on July 17, 2011
This isn't a 'How To' Grapple book, but more of a 'Is Grappling for you?' book.

It will give you enough information to confidently find a school to train at, and give you some reasonable expectations on the things that can happen in class to a newbie (eg. the revenge tap). There are also countless good tips for someone (such as myself) who is new to grappling.

If you are thinking about taking up BJJ or Wrestling, but aren't sure what to expect, this is a good book for you!
on July 17, 2011
Really glad I picked up this book. I just started with a gym and have been feeling a little lost. This book was easy to read and really provided some good information. Very real world experiences explained and things to consider when starting out.
on August 27, 2013
as a true BJJ newb, i was interested in learning about BJJ in a short ebook format. Sure, i could scour the websites, blogs, forums, but i chose to instead invest $3 to hear what a unique BJJ player has to say.

Good stuff. Thanks for writing a book. it was nice that you are actually an author. well written. I learned a lot. Now, to find a good academy to train at
on July 26, 2012
This book helped me out in selecting a school, knowing what questions to ask and what to expect. I'm thankful for it and highly recommend it to the total grappling newbie that I was.
on April 16, 2012
Seriously.?...

If possible i would really like my money back......

Very upset.... I dont even know what to write.... This is not a book but rather a memo filled with crap and miniature stickmen drawings of crap.