Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

64%
36%
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11 reviews
on April 22, 2014
Brian Clegg's succinct expose of what science has often referred to as the weakest force but which science now suggests is the progenitor of all futures is the paradox of what is 'Gravity'. A clever admix of the historical and the more contemporary thinking that is further infused with detailed analysis, yet this is an eminently readable thesis that folds time and space into the inevitable dance between uncertainty and predictability, between general and special relativity and between action across the 'ether' and across dark matter. If a black hole is indeed a time machine, then gravity must be its timekeeper. I thoroughly recommend this book to all who thirst for knowledge.
on August 18, 2014
Great book on what we know and what we don't know about gravity. It's a refresher on basic physics and the scientific process too! It is written in a very entertaining style and really lays out how our views of gravity have developed throughout history. It traces the understanding of gravity from Newton through Einstein to the quantum guys.
on August 8, 2014
One of the best science writer's I have read; thorough and clear.
on June 17, 2016
Interesting
on February 10, 2016
A great book - although I am a bit of a science nerd, I have actually read it twice. The author really lays out the whole "warping of space-time​" concept that we have all heard about. I can't recommend it enough!
on June 7, 2013
I am fascinated by gravity. I would like to understand not just how to accurately calculate its magnitude by Newton's formula or Enstein's General Relativity, I would like to understand how space-time is actually deformed by mass. How is the information that mass is present transmitted to space-time. So, I was disappointed that I didn't really learn anything new in Brian Clegg's book. I did not get my questions answered. The book begins with an interesting historical summary of theories of gravity. He eventually gets to general relativity. I didn't really learn anything new. If one does not have an understanding of Newtonian gravity then this book would be interesting. If one has never read about the development of general relativity, then the history is interesting. For readers who have previously read about Newton and Einstein, there is little new material. There is a very brief mention of quantum gravity and modified theories of gravity that may preclude the need for the invention of dark matter, but the word brief is important. This book is aimed directly at the non-mathematical science enthusiast who wants a historical perspective on gravity and is satisfied with a very limited description of general relativity or other modified theories of gravity. No math is provided. There are brief descriptions of gravitons without much discussion. I didn't get my questions on the mechanism for the deformation of space-time by mass, explained.
on January 2, 2014
Everybody decently skilled in natural sciences should read this book to recognize the whole space and his/her position in the universe.