Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Grease Monkey Jive
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on November 19, 2017
I loved this novel for the unique way the story was delivered. I was intrigued and riveted from the start to end.

Dan is a lady (chick) magnet and he loves them and leaves them quickly. He’s charming, funny, sexy, smart and fit (he surfs on Bondi Beach – sigh) – I could go on. He’s the whole package. You see him in action. You see why he is irresistible to women. He is so well described. But his recklessness hurts one of his friends. This is when he wakes-up to himself. He needs to change and make amends. What a commitment he initiates and delivers!

Alex is a driven, no-nonsense business student, working part-time as a dance instructor.

I love how we first meet each character’s “village”. Dan has a brilliant network of friends who provide much of the laugh-out-loud humour throughout the book in contrast to his burdensome father. Alex’s friends and family are loveable and so real to me. Then the story weaves the two villages together cleverly when Dan and his friends start dance lessons. What a hoot!

This book is a true romance. You are there the “moments” the couple meet and fall in love. You can see WHY they fall in love. Their characters (especially Dan’s) and minor characters develop and transform. This book has double the pages of a regular romance novel. And I was not bored for one moment. There is book time for so much story and events to unfold for the reader’s enjoyment. What an exceptional reading experience.

There’s a lot here to savour: the dance community and competition; surfing at Bondi Beach; warm friendships and camaraderie; classic cars; a whole community of characters to love; more than one romance; a great dog; love that involves your heart, and sucks you in so that you feel the pain of beloved characters when they hurt. And the joy.

The beauty of this novel is why I read romance. Thanks so much Ainslie Paton. I was thoroughly entertained and aware of my fast beating heart the whole time (in a good way).

I found the author’s freedom with the Australian way of speaking, euphemisms, and slang a complete delight.

There is a follow-on novella Desk Jockey JAM about the last of Dan’s friends not paired off in Grease Monkey JIVE. I loved that too.

Note to publisher: you need a proofreader for typographical errors (not the author’s fault) before publishing. Then this book would be faultless.
on April 7, 2013
Why was I surprised? I don't really know. Maybe because I have never heard of the author. Maybe because I don't remember buying this which means it was either really cheap or free. Maybe because I don't think grease is romantic.

But let me tell you, this was a story that I immersed myself in. I carried my Kindle around sightseeing on spring break (I never take my Kindle out and about) just so I could READ every chance I got. Yes, I even sat in a museum and read a few pages instead of walking around looking at the art, really good art.

I know nothing of dancing or mechanicking, but the situations and set-ups seemed authentic.
Every time I went, oh, obvious plot device, I was shown, no, not so obvious and most believeable. Yes, they are both gorgeous; yes, he does happen to have money; yes, there was a convenient breakage of bone; but there were also back stories and most satisfying ways of incorporating those devices into the story.

I will say there were editing issues, more and more as the story progressed. Wrong words were used (even allowing for the Australian use of words), words were misspelled, and sentence construction at times would almost make you stand on your head. These problems would generally throw me out of a book. In this case, I just plowed on and only got mildly irritated with yet another "alright." In case you are wondering, everybody in the book is "alright." I know this because everybody in the book was asked if they were "alright" at least thirty-two times, at least it seemed like it.

The H/h were believable. Their life situations were believable. While there was insta-lust that was purposely and ruthlessly pushed down for a myriad of authentic reasons, once the H/h did get involved, they worked through that myriad of issues. You read the arc of the relationship. The insta-lust was fed with personal histories, life stories, interaction and it grew to a real love.

As we are dealing with a "romance," it was inevitable that a road block would go up, and it did. It was a large block, it was a realistic reaction to one of those obvious plot devices, but again, it "felt" real. I keep wanting to say "authentic," but it feels too redundant. But authentic it is, well, if you are a professionally trained ballroom dancer and a mechanic.
5 people found this helpful
on December 20, 2012
The title is silly but loved the story. Relationship between Dan/Alex develops like a slow grin. The sexual tension when they’re together is like combustible energy. The romantic/sex scenes while sexy are not graphic. As a matter of fact, they’re so veiled I had to go back and re-read those scenes several times wondering “ok, they did the deed right?” Kind of unusual but didn’t take away from the story for me. After a while some of romantic scenes of the bks I’ve been reading lately just drone on and don’t do anything for me and just seem, well... boring. This bk was a nice change of pace. Minimal sex deets aside I thought this was great story. Loved Dan, of course, and Alex has a few smackable moments holding on to her anger just a mite too long; thought she was a bit of a snob too. Endearing side characters, Alex's posse and all of Dan’s gang (Mitch, Ant, Fluke, etc). Strong emotional moment at the 89% mark, I’m crying, but not from anything bad, just happy tears. Nice character development as they both overcome mental and emotional hurdles. Thought this was just an overall good story.

Will definitely try more bks by this Aussie author.
4 people found this helpful
on November 30, 2013
This is the 3rd book from this author that I've read. One I was insanely crazy about; the other was just really good. This book topped them all! Well-written, and great characters portrayed with a depth that is rare in romance novels, and a plot that was authentic and character driven. No plot devices to keep the characters apart; their personalities and quirks drove them apart and back together. I will be buying every book this author writes!
on September 5, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a journey of how two people from different worlds collide and create an environment that sizzles. For both, the journey is eye opening, Dan discovers who he definitely doesn't want to be like, his relationship with his friend is threatened and needs to work out how to fix it, and now the gorgeous Alex is on the scene creating upheaval in his love life. Alex's passion is dancing but seems to always sacrifice her passion try to please everyone else in her life. Now that Dan on the scene she discovers what she want's in her life and also needs to work out how do deal with the upheaval Dan causes with her love life. The supporting characters are absolutely great and the bantering between then has you laughing. The story took me on a journey and at times surprised me by taking me in a totally unexpected direction - which I thought was great and unpredictable. Loved it, great read.
on July 27, 2012
I do love escapist stories with snappy dialogue. Not quite in Aaron Sorkin's league (Is anyone! Maybe Diablo Cody?) but Jive has aspirations. Jive's characters resonate through their dialogue from the Scott's acid tongue to Fluke's outrage. You can tell Dan's Dad is going to be a problem from the moment he opens his mouth. You can tell Gwen is going to be a savvy grandma. She has one of the best lines in the book.
A favourite snippet:

Ant: "You're not going to are you?"
Dan: "What?"
Ant: "Tap her?"
Dan: "Ant, I'm going to fix the girl's lock."
Mitch: "Is that what they call it now?" said Mitch.
2 people found this helpful
on November 27, 2012
Loved this book. It was more complex than I thought it would be, with well-rounded secondary characters and a charismatic leading man, who is haunted by the demons of his past. I found the dialogue snappy and the conversations between the male friends hilarious. The plot was well thought out and the ending put a big smile on my face. I really enjoyed this book.
3 people found this helpful
on July 18, 2012
I do like a gritty hero and Dan has grit, the kind of grit that makes him capable of changing his man whore ways - not for the girl - but for himself first. You can't help but be in his corner when the going gets tough for him. And he cooks. I'd dance with him forever. Read it and dance
One person found this helpful
on December 8, 2012
Great story. You can really hear the dialoge, recognise the music and thanks to so many dance shows, it's easy to visualise the settings. Great Australian voice.
One person found this helpful