Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 150 reviews
on January 19, 2014
The title of this review says it all, but I'll add a few comments regarding specific things that I liked and disliked in the book.

My background: I've interviewed for a variety of positions in chemical engineering, hospitals, professional schools, and most recently the pharmaceutical industry. I've also interviewed and evaluated candidates in hospital settings.

I purchased this book hoping to gain additional valuable insights to augment my past interview experiences, but I found the vast majority of advice in the book is either common sense to any experienced job seeker or too general to be especially helpful.

POSITIVE ASPECTS
-The recommendations for the dreaded "Tell me about yourself" question are spot on and detailed--easily the most valuable ~7 pages of the entire book.
-Tips on analyzing one's strengths and past accomplishments should help new job seekers as they prepare for first-time professional interviews.
-Easy read--most readers should be able to finish this over the course of an afternoon or less.

NEGATIVE ASPECTS
-Example responses--if actually repeated verbatim in an interview--would sound extremely artificial, robotic, and would definitely never land you a job. I understand that these only meant to serve as examples, but placing them in quotes may fool some readers into thinking that this is exactly what interviewers want to hear (to be fair, this is addressed in the book, but it's buried in the fine print).

-As mentioned previously, this book contains a lot of common sense that most readers should (hopefully) know: bathe, wear a nice suit, maintain eye contact, be confident, research the company/position, match your strengths and skills to the position, answer the question that they ask you, don't ramble, etc.

-Sometimes the book reads a bit too sarcastic and unprofessional. Passages such as "You Brought Your Cat. How Nice." and "You reek, bro!" don't really add to the credibility of the author.

OVERALL
Don't bother purchasing--you can download a free pdf version of an older edition of the same book (4th, 2000) that essentially covers the exact same points.
on March 23, 2017
I had been interviewing for months. I would generally consider myself an excellent interviewee. I made it to final rounds for at least 7 or 8 roles and I kept getting passed up for someone else. I didn't get feedback so I didn't know what I wasn't doing in order to close the deal. This book helped me become a closer and I was prepared for ever single interview question I was asked after reading it. This book will make you do exercises, so get your pen and paper out and starting writing what it tells you. I landed a job against two other tough competitors after reading this book. I'm a closer now.
on May 13, 2016
It is okay for general interview questions, but one needs to study the job description and requirements and create questions and answers. I learned this the hard way. I practiced all the general questions, but almost missed my opportunity because I did not create my own questions & answers based upon the job description, requirements and skills.
on June 23, 2012
This is THE book to help anyone prepare themselves properly for an interview in today's world. Most companies now have SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) type questions in their interviews, and if you don't have prepared answers to these questions, you are dead in the water. This book will help you be on top of your game and seperate yourself from the others, if you do the work. It's not hard - you are basically just telling stories about yourself - but you need to take your time and write them down - but this book will guide you. When I graduated college later in life, I had worked at the same company for 8 years and had never really had a "real" interview, as my advances were automatic based on my work. I was scared to death to interview. My friend lent me his version of this book, and by the time I was done preparing, I interviewed with several companies and had 4 job offers at one time! It's obviously my experience and preparedness that landed me the offers, but this book guided me to that direction. It's a must have!!
on March 25, 2017
Excellent book for helping prepare yourself for an upcoming job interview in any field. Many thought-provoking questions you may not have anticipated. Definite must-read!
on December 2, 2016
Does exactly what it says on the tin.
Generally an informative work good for preparing your mindset for interviews. Can't say that all proposed answers resonated with me (as one could perhaps expect).
Does not apply for all industries and some of the content might be outdated in my (albeit rather limited) experience. Although this can also be cultural differences (I'm not an American like the author).
The main value I found in this book was to gain awareness about different types of interview questions, and start to prepare my own thought process and answers.
on July 6, 2016
Reading through the questions and answers in this book is a fantastic way to prepare for hard interviews. Super way to study for interviews! Content helps you build your self-confidence as you formulate your answers (based on your experience) to the questions. Super preparation!
on July 25, 2011
I strongly recommend you purchase "101 Smart Questions to ask on Your Interview" when you purchase this book. The combination of the two will give you much confidence when you set out to be interviewed. The author has done a superlative job of coaching the reader so that s/he doesn't appear either arrogant or wimpy. You might actually FEEL the part of the perfect candidate when you are out there. These books are nuggets of gold. They offer insights into various interviewing types and how to handle each one. They help you prepare good, solid answers to very difficult questions. There are numerous examples to guide you as you prepare your own story.
on July 16, 2017
Great book to help with basic interview questions. Not all questions in this book will apply to you, but it gives a very good overview of the typical interview questions and some insightful answers that I've never thought about. It helped me for my interview- so 5 Stars and I recommend.
on October 1, 2014
The book was very practical and helpful. I have not interviewed in over 20 years. I followed the steps and advice in the book and felt well prepared for my interview. 90% of the questions I was asked in the interview was covered in this book. Just reading what the interviewer would be looking for with each question helped me to come up with answers to those questions. I went in with more confident and felt well prepared. I recommend this book for anyone who is interviewing.