Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 4,465 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,442 reviews
on December 25, 2015
This is a great novel. So why am I giving it one star? I know for certain that portions of the last page are missing. Once I realized that I began to wonder if maybe other portions were missing that I was not aware of. My advice is that you not buy this edition of The Great Gatsby but spend the extra money to get the complete novel.
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2017
Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby was an exciting book about the elegant and extravagant lifestyle of Jay Gatsby. While narrated by Nick, you will be introduced to several characters, including Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Wilson. Nick, coming from the Midwest, is not accustomed to their lavish way of living and mostly observes and takes everything in. He learns of Daisy and Gatsby’s past and becomes interested in it. You will read of parties, love affairs, secrets, murders, among many other surprises in this great American classic.
For the most part, I liked the writing style of the book. One quote that can demonstrate the use of Fitzgerald’s writing is “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”The beginning was a little slow, but after the first few pages the story became very compelling. Also, the flashbacks got a little confusing sometimes, but i would just reread the page and I’d be fine. I did not necessarily like the ending of the story as well, since it was so abrupt and did not do Gatsby any justice. The plot was very interesting and I liked all of the characters’ roles. There were many plot twists and surprises that I did not predict, which I really enjoyed.
One of the lessons I learned from this book was how money and power can only take you so far. When Gatsby died, hardly no one attended his funeral after everyone attended his crazy parties and made business with him. In addition to that, Daisy did not leave Tom for him because Tom was more in control of her and financially stable.
Overall, I thought it was an interesting book and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a deep read with manys suprises.
on May 20, 2013
This isn't the first time I've read The Great Gatsby. I read it in
high school, absorbed as much as I needed to pass the class, and
I remembered only as much as cultural references reinforced.
I decided to read the book again in preparation for seeing the
latest Hollywood version. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm
glad I read the book.
In high school, I didn't have the patience, the resources, or the
ability to fully appreciate the assignment. I'm sure I had plenty
of time, but I wasn't about to spend any more of it than
absolutely necessary on a then 40-year-old story, even though I
lived on Long Island and had actually been to Great Neck.
Patience was always in short supply when it came to school
work, but I was reading it voluntarily now, and I gave it the
effort it deserved. I looked up every word I didn't recognize, and
researched every reference I didn't understand. Language,
culture, and society have changed quite a bit in 90 years, so I
spent a lot of time on the Internet while I was reading. Each
chapter took at least an hour. But it was all worth it.
I'd give the book six stars, if I could. But I invested much more
time in this slim volume than most people would be willing
devote to it. What if I hadn't looked everything up? I'm pretty
sure my review would be unchanged. Most of my research
merely confirmed what I had guessed, and most of what I
couldn't guess was of no consequence. Everything in the book
was there for a reason, but the story is strong enough to
withstand a casual reading. In retrospect, I see it was strong
enough to withstand a casual and careless reading by a high
school student. How else can I explain the desire to read it
again? I could have just seen the movie.
I will see the movie, although I wonder how well it will hold up
in comparison to the book. My poor wife will have to deal with
my movie review -- possibly during the movie.
on August 25, 2015
Since I read it in 9th grade, The Great Gatsby has been one of my favorite books. Every once in a while I give it a re-read, only to find my reading of the timeless tale of love lost, disillusionment, and new money society to be more relevant than the last. The rich metaphors and symbols in this book are a fantastic introduction to the ideas, and a pleasure for young and old readers alike.

After years of only owning this book in ebook format, I thought it necessary to purchase a hardcover copy, one that will last long after my ereader has died, and one that can be passed along to my children and their children.

I was initially concerned that this would not feature the remarkable original artwork, the golden eyes hovering in the sky, but I can happily say my fears were unfounded. The book jacket appears exactly as it does on the first two photos for this listing, with the original artwork taking up the entire front, and a photo of the brilliant author on the back.

I think this is a must-read book for all, and readers won't be disappointed by this Jazz age masterpiece.
review image
on April 9, 2016
The Great Gatsby is a 1925 novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald set on Long Island, New York. It is about the so called Gilded Age, after the end of World War I and before the onset of the Great Depression. Gatsby is a mysterious figure who moves into a mansion on Long Island and leads a life of crass materialism.

I have read all of the novels of F. Scott Fitzgerald and this is easily my favorite. I had actually read this novel first as it is iconic. I enjoyed it but did not like it as much as other readers seem to do so. I actually feel reading all of his other novels and then rereading this novel greatly added to my enjoyment of this novel. There is a lot of symbolism within this novel and traces of this novel and symbolism can be found in his other works. I greatly enjoyed this reading experience. Thank You...
on March 16, 2017
           The Great Gatsby
       The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is a book that sends readers back in time to the 1920s. We get to experience the luxuries, struggles, and daily lives of many different people first hand. We follow Nick Carraway through the cities and suburbs of New York, where he has just moved to. He now lives near the very popular, Jay Gatsby. He had never seen the man until he received an invite to one of his extravagant parties. From here on out, they became friends and helped each other through many events within the story. There were intricate love triangles that totally entangled the pasts of the characters, making the book exciting, and leaving you questioning the future. My one critique was that the book got somewhat slow at points. I believe that this was intentional though, in order to build up to the intense scenes. The book and the movie were extremely similar, so it would be hard to like one and not the other. Now, one of my favorite parts of the book was crazy relationships between each of the characters. Some parts were so twisted and just unbelievably captivating. The ending contains the events that really make this book amazing, in my opinion. Even after reading, and watching, it over and over the plot never gets old. The Great Gatsby is such a classic novel that everybody should read at least once in their lives. It captures each aspect of the time period perfectly. The descriptions are so detailed and beautifully written. F. Scott Fitzgerald really does this topic justice. Reading this book is the closest you’ll ever come to knowing the 1920’s. The drama within these pages is something I haven’t read anywhere else. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in this era. You will not be disappointed. LK
on August 6, 2014
Well.. it took me a few chapters to get into this but once I had a sense of who the narrator was I was able to fully commit myself to his life and what was going on and I absolutely fell in love.

What a dramatic story! A tale full of love, loss, regret, fear, and just plain craziness. In short it has all of the emotions of real life all rolled up into one little tale about a man! It’s the telling of this man’s life story from a friend’s perspective and it was so unique, and written so well that I really did not want to put this down.

Every character woven so dramatically around each others lives that the reader is left begging for more!

The thing about this story is that you can feel the love from Gatsby as he agonizes over Daisy and every movement she makes. More than once my heart ached for him and I was curious and not very optimistic about how this story was going to end. But it was written so beautifully and harmonically that I just could not find myself leaving this story alone. And I know this is going to be one of my favs for years to come.

I then immediately watched the movie. And how engrossed I was! The music, the tone, the performances, and add all that to the fact that the speech was nearly perfect to the book. This is one movie that I can say definitively, if you like the book, you’ll love the movie! Although I loved the fact that it was spot on, I also loved the cinematography. It was so graphically done, very reminiscent of The Moulin Rouge with scandalous attire, fabulous music, and wonderful plots! I was not surprised to find that Baz Luhrmann wrote both stories because I could just feel the exoticness in everything that was done, and loved it!
on March 7, 2017
The pages of this edition are not numbered! How much would numbers add to production costs?! Sentences end without any punctuation. Many sentences begin without a capital letter. The lines of text break in odd and random ways. Do not buy this edition!
on September 10, 2013
No matter that this book is supposed to be so great, I can't rate it a five because to me, it just wasn't one. It didn't leave me wanting more. It didn't leave me routing for the characters. Gatsby was in love with a dream, not a flesh-and-blood woman. When he encountered her again later in life after years of having been separated, she was a disappointment, yet one he still couldn't shake loose. They were both shallow creatures. Ironically, he thought he could win her love and keep her if he had enough money and a fine mansion, but none of that mattered in the end. The only likeable character was Nick. To be honest, after hearing so much about how great this book was, it was a short disappointment. I did think the author handled the accident part well in reference to the drivers and how the scene unfolded. The author did a great job of illustrating a pathetic man. The description was well done, but it didn't capture my attention from the first page, and it didn't hold it raptly until the last, but there were some parts where I wanted to keep reading. I realize it was written years ago and in a far different style than today's books, so I rated it a four, but I don't see what was so great about this book that it had the whole world talking. I've read much better ones that left me yearning for more.
on February 26, 2015
The Great Gatsby is one of the most riveting and life changing novels I have ever read. Even though it is set in the past it holds a lot of view on our world perspective. The book is written from the perspective of Nick Carraway. He was educated at Yale and had recently fought in World War I. The story begins with Nick moving to West Egg, the rich part of Long Island. Nick wants to learn more on the upcoming industry of stock trading. He finds out that he is living next door to the mysterious, rich philanthropist, Jay Gatsby. Nick has his connections of the East Egg and he begins to gain trust with his cousin, Daisy, who lives there. Nick is told of the magnificent parties that are held at Mr. Gatsby's house. Within the month he is invited to Mr. Gatsby's and he soon becomes friends with him. Gatsby meets Jordan and recalls the love they had before the war and they begin to see each other again. Tom, Daisy's husband, begins to be suspicious of the time that Daisy is spending with Gatsby. Even though Tom has an extramarital affair, he claims that he loves Daisy. In addition, Daisy admits that she loves Gatsby. Tom confronts Gatsby and exposes his criminal activity. Following that, Daisy decides that her allegiance belonged to Tom. On the drive home Gatsby kills Tom's lover, Myrtle, in a car accident. Myrtle's husband, George, finds out it was Gatsby and kills him. Following the death of Gatsby, all of Gatsby's crimes are released to the public and no one attends his funeral except for Nick. Nick loses faith in humanity and as a result returns home to the Midwest.

I myself found this novel to be very interesting because of the differences we see now. We see that the American dream of lower class people becoming rich is almost not possible within the terms of the law. I feel like this is still very true today. One thing that stands out to me even more is the fact that Gatsby was no longer accepted after his secret was revealed. Gatsby was an amazing man even though he had made a living bootlegging. This book taught me that people can be extremely selfish when it comes to money.