Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on May 20, 2014
GOTJ has wonderful advice for common workplace conversations - both for seasoned professionals and soon-to-be professionals. I appreciated that the content is very tactical, easy to implement, and based on real-life experience. This isn't one of those books that makes amazing promises on the cover but then leaves you wondering what you really learned. There are even cheat sheets in the back of the book that can be used for quick reference.

It's fantastic that someone is focusing on the skills that we should all be taught (but usually aren't). I've already recommended this book to the college students I mentor and will also personally continue to refer to it.
on June 7, 2011
I read Great on the Job with the intent of using it as required reading for any new employee or volunteer of the non-profit I run, Partnership for Cures. While I was reading it, I ran across a number of items that I realized I didn't do a good job of in my own work! And I have incorporated them into my daily routine. I also found a number of things I was doing right, even though I hadn't learned it from a book, which made me feel pretty good.

The first two volunteers (3 days per week, 8 hours per day) have read the book and they are doing a stellar job incorporating these lessons into their work! I am especially thankful for the piece about, "Don't go to your boss and ask if there is anything you can do." That creates EXTRA work for me when the volunteer is here to take work OFF my plate. So far, both of these volunteers have gotten that message and taken it to heart. They come to me with suggestions of what they can do, or requests to spend time learning about the organization so they can be more productive.

I gave each of them a copy of the book to READ and give back. And after reading the Great on the Job they said they want to KEEP the book for reference and will buy me a new copy because they've marked up the copy I gave them. So what I thought was going to be an assignment, to read Great on the Job, that would mostly benefit me, it turns out the book was so powerful that the readers found it helped them!

Kudos to Great on the Job. It is simple and it works!!!
on May 23, 2011
Some people are always calm, cool and collected. They never are at a loss for words and don't seem to experience those awkward 'where is this conversation going' moments. I am not one of them! Well, at least not naturally. I've had to work hard to acquire the right tactics for a number of professional situations. This book would have made it much easier. This book solves dozens of work-related communication challenges. Using incredibly specific instructions and relatable case-studies, it spells out how to up your game with grace and confidence. I was so impressed with how smart and actionable the strategies are and how comfortable the proposed language is - no one will think you're taking instructions from a book. Particularly helpful for me (as an entrepreneur) were the chapters on feedback and managing a crisis and your personal elevator pitch. I also sent copies to both of my brothers who are early in their careers and will inevitably need help navigating the workplace. I feel relieved knowing they have this great tool kit at their disposal.
on July 5, 2017
Really great book.
on December 20, 2016
Great book with many, many approaches I can put into practice TODAY. I will share this book with my colleagues!
on June 23, 2011
An easy-to-read manual full of practical guidance on how to communicate more effectively in work environments.

I really appreciated the well-defined methodologies, the Troubleshooting sections answer real-life questions, and the Tear-Outs in the back are a great idea.

This is a playbook containing all of the "blocking and tackling" strategies you need to be a successful professional - strategies that half of us have never learned, and the other half have forgotten!
on February 20, 2017
Good book to guide on how to take initiatives, good examples
on June 12, 2017
Great!
on June 30, 2011
This is a great book for the veteran and neophyte alike. Effective communication in and outside the workplace is the "elephant in the room" of business knowhow, and the author provides highly organized and easy to practice methods for deploying the power of person-to-person contact for career leverage. Anyone can benefit from these lessons and so will the organizations they work for.
on November 20, 2013
Nice product, received very quickly. Sometimes the right words make all the difference. Very helpful in polishing professional presence in the work place.