Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 673 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 694 reviews
on January 27, 2015
For several years I have been unsucessful in finding a good tasting Popcorn to pop at home. I wanted to avoid the packaged microwave type that I had been using. After trying all the popcorn that was available in my local supermarkets and being disappointed, I checked out Amazon and noticed Great Northern Popcorn listed and was impressed with it's description and decided to give it a try. I was startled when I popped the first batch because almost all the kernels popped. The reason being is that a prominent USA brand of popcorn brags that almost all their kernels pop but unfortunately they have no taste! After tasting the first handful of Great Northern Popcorn I was greatly relieved! I finally found the best tasting Popcorn at a great value and not to mention almost all of their kernels Pop!!!
on September 17, 2017
I use the Cuisinart EasyPop Popcorn Maker. Which is a hot oil style popper. With my popper this popcorn is the worst popcorn experience by far of the Gourmet/Premium branded popcorn kernels I've tried. Meaning I won't even bother to use the remaining package anyway, instead it's in the trash bin. Expiration date on the bag is Dec 20, 2019 so apparently it's fresh. Far as I can tell these kernels apparently require a very high temperature to pop successfully, beyond the temperature my popper can attain. The first indication of concern for me with this product was the length of time that passed before a single pop had occurred. All other popcorns are pretty consistent in how soon they start and how fast they complete and fill the popper bowl. These kernels however took clearly a long time to start a pop. Once started the popping was very slow, 2-3 seconds between pops. The popped kernels begin to smell over-cooked while the majority of kernels are are intact resulting in my stopping the popper. A 1/2 cup of these kernels fill the popper bowl about an inch depth of popped corn. The popper bowl should be completely full from a 1/2 cup of kernels. Most of the kernels don't pop. They are very hot to the touch and are a deep brown in color. Remaining un-popped after about 3 times the length of cooking time that other brand kernels have already fully popped. This experience occurred three times. I used this popcorn three times before concluding this popcorn was worthless for my popper. I used another brand between the use of this brand, successfully, therefore the popper is operating correctly. The kernels that do pop, roughly a couple hands full worth, are inedible from the length of time they cooked while waiting for the remaining kernels to pop.
VINE VOICEon June 17, 2015
Using the Presto 04820 PopLite Hot Air Popper, the unpopped kernels are almost non-existent. This popcorn pops up beautifully, with virtually no waste. Typically there are two or three, maybe four unpopped kernals that fly out into the bowel at the beginning of the popping process, but about the same number that are left in the popper when everything has stopped popping - in other words, virtually no waste.

And while I don't like plain popcorn, this is ALMOST good enough to eat without anything on it. But I'll stick to good old fashioned butter and salt. Regardless, this popcorn is about the best we've ever tasted, and is the only brand we intend to purchase in the future. What else could one want: it's organic, non-GMO, has great flavor, and there is almost zero waste!
on July 30, 2012
Good: Pops just right - not small/chewy like store-brand popcorn, and not huge and dry like the super-premium stuff. Good price per pound, and this 5-lb bag is just the right size - most of Amazon's bulk offerings are 10-20 lbs which, unless you're mass-popping for an event, guarantees that the last few pounds will be stale.

Bad: Large portion of unpopped kernels; expect 10-15% duds unless you want to risk burning the entire batch. By comparison, Orville Redenbacher leaves under 5% in this same popper.

Bottom line: If the "organic" part is important to you, this is the brand to buy. If not it's still worthwhile; not quite in the Orville R. stratosphere, but it's good and tasty and costs a LOT less.

Tested with a Presto Power-Pop with fresh disc, in a 1250 watt GE microwave.
on April 23, 2014
We love this popcorn and this is the second double pack (ten pounds total) we have purchased. We pop it up in a whirly stove-top popper with a tblsp or coconut oil and it is absolutely delicious and pops well. We have tried other brands of organic popcorn and have been sorely disappointed as some is tough, some doesn't pop, and some produces very small pieces. Great Northern pops BIG, is very tender, and when popped with coconut oil, doesn't even need butter........though we often add it. Highly recommended!
on July 7, 2016
I have tried other organic popcorn with poor results. This popcorn pops similarly to high-end commercial brands. The popped kernels are big and fluffy. Tastes great. No chemicals or stabilizers.

I use sunflower oil. Please note that the oil WILL make a difference in the quality of the pop. ( I stay away from rapeseed (canola), soybean, and GMO oils. ) I just put just enough oil in to cover the base of a heavy bottom stainless pot. ( A thin pot will scorch.) I put the popcorn in to cover the bottom of the pan with one layer of kernels and cover. I turns my stove on high and let it get hot. The popcorn starts to pop and I wait about a minute or so and cut off the heat. The corn will continue to pop on its own. No shaking needed. Once popping stops, I wait a few minutes for any late bloomers and dump in a bowl. I wipe to the pan and give it a quick swish to remove the oil residue.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2017
I use this in my Wabash Valley Farms popper and it's delicious. I pop it with olive oil instead of vegetable oil and just add a little sea salt. Great snack.
on January 19, 2015
Reasonable price and organic. Great combination. I'll be ordering this again!
on April 8, 2015
Best popcorn we've ever had! Big, fluffy kernels with soft halls and a delightful flavor. We will definitely be ordering this again. In fact, it may be the only popcorn we eat from now on.
on October 4, 2013
This is a good product that pops well in either my air popper or my Kettle Crazy popper. Pops with few :old maids". Best thin about it is that it is organic. With all the pesticides and herbicides used in growing corn, organic is well worth the additional cost.

UPDATE... Found the popcorn is infested with black bugs. Stored in an airtight container. When I opened it, moths flew out. Looked closer and found MANY black bugs. Checked out the other three unopened bags and they were buggy too. Threw it all away. Not Amazon's fault but they need to get with Great Northern and their supplier and fix the problem. They should recall the product and refund the money. Won't buy from Great Northern again until they fix the problem and refund out money.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.