Great Pas De Deux - Fonteyn, Nureyev, Makarova, Dowell, Baryshnikov, Bessmertova, and more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The entire compilation tries to focus on presenting the performers when they were in their prime. For instance the segment featuring Nureyev and Fonteyn was recorded in 1965 and although the picture is a little grainy, it is more than adequate to give us a glimpse of what these artists could do when they were at their best.
Some of my favorite pieces were...
- Spring Waters with Maria Bylova and Leonid Nikonov; with their fast paced,energetic leaps and lifts.
- Romeo and Juliet (balcony scene) with Alessandra Ferri and Wayne Eagling; an early example of Ferri's acting and interpretation skills that we would continue to see develop, in the years to follow.
- Swan Lake (Black Swan scene) with Julia Makhalina and Igor Zelensky; Makhalina show us (as Odile) just how poised, incredibly flexible and talented she really is in this role. She is simply stunning.
-and last but not least the Don Quixote pas de deux with Cynthia Harvey and Mikhail Baryshnikov. This features some of Baryshnikov's world famous leaps and spins. Enough said!
There were a couple of segments that I didn't enjoy as some of the others; but that would to be expected in a "sampling" of a series of pas de deux. Also a couple of dancers and choreographers were featured multiple times(3); this I found a little puzzling on a relatively short, one disc recording.
An enjoyable DVD and although the video quality my change a bit from one performance to the next, you still have to feel grateful just being able to watch and appreciate some of the greatest dancers of the last century.
Most of the ballerinas did excellent performances. It always amazes me as to how strong their legs, knee joints and posture as a whole must be in order to do these stunning and graceful turns, bends, stands, etc., ect., those definitely merit a 5 star for the DVD, but a few things I didn't care for, that's why the 4 star rating. Also most male dancers did excellent jumps and splits in the various pieces, Baryshnikov being totally in control of his dancing - kudus for him.
All in all, if you like classic ballet it's definitely a nice addition to your reportiore. Even with some of my dislikes, I'll keep watching the DVD until I grow tired of it which won't be too soon. For the price it's a pretty good show, second to being there in person, and you can select the pieces you like if some don't appeal to you.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
All good, except for a gratuitous homosexual rendition of a nonexistent pa de deus from Swan Lake. I imagine the producers thought themselves to be oh so bold and brave and... Read morePublished 6 months ago by William M. Rich
if you are fan of ballet you will absolutely love this dvd--the bestPublished 7 months ago by Amazon Customer
One of the best DVDs I've watched on the subject. Some of the world's best-known dancers are featured in highlights from each ballet.Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer
Incredible dancing, beautiful, spectacular.....well worth seeing and hearing the beautiful music and watching one of a kind dancers do great things.Published 12 months ago by D. J. Singer
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical
- Movies & TV > Educational
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Arts & Entertainment
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Ballet & Dance
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Classical
- Movies & TV > TV