Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,161 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,938 reviews
James Franco is decidedly not my favorite actor: Too often his performances seem wooden to me.
That said, I thought he did well in "Oz the Great and Powerful" as a shady, second-rate carnival magician who suddenly finds himself in a fantastical situation. A little over-the-top when the situation calls for it, he also shows surprising depth in some scenes.
The movie itself was a curious blend of animation, CGI, and live-action performances. I'm a little conflicted about how that worked because some of the scenes seemed a little overwrought to me. Not terrible, you understand; it just seemed that the production team was trying too hard to "make a classic" in the Disney tradition instead of just telling the story.
The actors - Franco included - were first rate.in this film. There are some critics who have been less than delighted with the job Mila Kunis did after she transforms from a beautiful - if naive - young witch into the wicked sister but I thought she did very well in a challenging role.
Likewise, some people have criticized the screenplay because they have - wrongfully, in my opinion - tried to compare this story with the 1939 "Wizard of Oz." L. Frank Baum wrote an entire series of books about the wonderful land of Oz and they each tell a different - if related - story. Because of that, I believe it's unfair to compare one with the other.
In summary: A very nice film with some very good performances by the cast and - if a trifle long - an enjoyable viewing experience.
on April 18, 2017
I was one of those who thought this was going to be a out right remake of The Wizard Of Oz. It's similar but different. And it is a good movie on it's own. But it will still be compared to The Wizard. It starts off in black and white then goes into color when he is wisked over the rainbow. But the circumstances are different. Mila Kunis nails it as the young witch. And is stunning. And I was never that big of a fan of Michelle Williams but she is just as good also. And Rachel Weisz is the true villain as she betray's Mila and then you end up rooting against both of them. This will probably not be a classic. But like Johnny Depp's Alice In Wonderland. With all the color's and the combination of special effects. Animation and acting. It turns out to be a pretty good trip.
on January 13, 2016
I was fascinated by the colors that pop out in this movie and the 3D special effects were wonderful to. The story drags a bit in the beginning but it is needed to give you some back ground on the main character. Once the movie gets going though look out, it is fun and amazing at the same time
on April 16, 2014
5 Stars for OZ The Great and Powerful!! 5 Stars for OZ The Great and Powerful!! 5 Stars for OZ The Great and Powerful!!

This movie basically is like a fulfilling modern portrayal to the original Wizard of OZ. This movie created the same sensational use of the tornado to start the story with a believable storm. It also goes beyond the original with the added computer generated effects entertaining the viewer from the beginning tornado to the creation of OZ's legacy and empire all based on smoke and mirrors.

Perfect acting all the way from the opening carnival to the final showdown between the Wicked Witches versus OZ, The Good Witch, and company. The perfect acting was supported by James Franco (Also in the movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes), Michelle Williams (Also in the movie Marilyn Monroe), Mila Kunis (Also in the movie Black Swan), and Rachel Weisz (Also in the The Bourne Legacy).
on March 16, 2017
I was skeptical about this movie going into it because I just couldn't imagine James Franco in the world of OZ but he did surprised me and did really well in his role as Oz. Although, there is one performance that disappointed me and that was Mila Kunis.' She did great as Theodora but when she became the Wicked Witch of the West, I couldn't help but feel like she wasn't the best for that role. I know it has to be the same person because she turns into her, but her portrayal of the Wicked Witch of the West really lacked for me. That's the only reason I'm giving it four stars.
on October 3, 2013
Loving the classic movie, like most people do, I wasn't interested in seeing this when it first came out. One evening my wife and I found ourselves in the mood to see what this was really like, and were surprised by what a good time we had with it. It's gorgeous to look at, and the story turns out to be a pretty clever take off on the story we all know so well.

James Franco - He does well enough in the lead role, but I did keep wishing Oz was at least something like the character so well known from the 1930's film. There's virtually no relationship between the two, mostly due to the casting of Franco. The earlier you just accept that you're not going to recognize the Oz you know, the better time you'll have.
on July 20, 2013
Personally I find the artistic accomplishments of the film wonderful and worth the price of admission. Where it seems to be weak is quite frankly, in the casting. James Franco has charm but their having failed to book their first choice Robert Downey Jr. in the role of Oz leaves the film a weaker one . Downey would have surely brought so much more to the character and simple charm is not enough to lift this work to being a laudable one. It's a nice blu-ray of an extremely rich artistic vision but not so fulfilling on the story or casting end of things. Still, I'd recommend it and the Blu-Ray really is the way to go on this film given the rich visuals.
on August 9, 2013
I wanted to like this movie. The Wizard of Oz is my ultimate favorite movie of all time. I was so excited when this movie came out. The last Oz related movie that I had seen was Return to Oz, and while that movie was dark and not for children it was fantastic. This movie has great special effects but other than that it lacks it plot and any type of storyline. I have no problem with the characters being dark but I felt that all the actors over-acted in this film and there was an overall overly fake feeling to the entire movie.
on June 23, 2013
I had hoped that this film would be better considering the cast, but without a good script it just fell apart. A good movie for children over 8 and under 12, and I might be wrong on the older age. Really sad prequel to the Wizard of Oz that might scare younger children and would bore most everyone else. The movie really needed a plot and some idea of what its target audience was.
on March 17, 2017
First saw this movie in 2D. Even better in 3D!
Good prequel to The Wizard of Oz. Good story and special effects.