The Great Wall [Blu-ray]
Ultra HD + Digital HD with Ult
|Additional Blu-ray options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Starring global superstar Matt Damon and directed by one of the most breathtaking visual stylists of our time, Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers), The Great Wall tells the story of an elite force making a valiant stand for humanity on the world's most iconic structure. Jing Tian, Pedro Pascal, Willem Dafoe and Andy Lau also star in this sweeping epic.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
The Great Wall tells the story of a group of Western mercenaries, searching for a powerful substance known as black powder, in China. Soon, they get involved in protecting the Great Wall of China against an army of monsters, known as the Taotie.
Overall, there is a good balance between East and West. A Western screenplay by Max Brooks keeps things going quickly without the irritating self sacrifice and slow dialog of the recent Dragon Blade movie (Jackie Chan, Adrien Brody). Director Zhang Yimou is known for extravaganzas and sometimes the action does look acrobatic but it's not too bad. The excessive slow motion deaths and explosions that plague some Chinese movies isn't such a problem here.
This was an all-out action movie that explored the themes of greed and sacrifice, nobility and savagery. Yimou's masterful direction elevates the movie above standard action fare, giving moments of truly astounding visuals. His use of color not only adds to the visual flair, but also helps to add coherence to the movie while the editing is never confusing.
With a running time of less than 2 hours, viewers expecting in-depth characterization along the lines of "Hero" and "Curse of the Golden Flower" will be disappointed. The quiet scenes were a bit lacking, leaving the audience emotionally cold.
Nevertheless, it’s not a bad movie and certainly not ambitious enough to deserve any of the vitriol people read into the story without ever watching the movie. I was entertained but not awestruck.
My personal thoughts about this movie: The Great Wall is (not) a documentary, it’s a full on movie of and epic battle to the death for earth dominance, your classic Mankind (vs) Alien Queen. The movie is visually stunning, with acrobatics that would rival any Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas. A fast moving movie with tons of action and hardcore battles that are very brutal and bloody, with bone crushing carnage everywhere. This movie has excellent character development, with (no) unnecessary sex scenes at all. The producers knew how to direct a great movie for the entire family without the need to show any embarrassing sex scenes...great job, all parents will appreciate that! I make comparisons to the movie (Avatar) due to the epic nature of this movie and the classic theme of (Man vs Alien species) over dominance of the planet. This movie is a winner, great movie for the entire family, its money well spent, I will definitely watch this movie more than once…they got this movie right!
1. Running Time Approx. 1 hrs. 43 min.
2. Sound: HD DTS-5.1
3. Picture: HD Widescreen
4. Not a documentary it’s a full on movie.
5. Epic bone shattering bloody battles.
6. High level action.
7. Epic story, great character development.
8. Mankind vs Alien Queen (or) General vs Alien Queen.
9. Great for entire family, with no sex scenes…that’s a plus.
10. Great storyline that answers all questions, and has a proper ending.
Thank you, hope this helps!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Art House & International > By Country > China
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy