Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Greatest Hits
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$5.00

on July 21, 2003
Jo Dee Messina - her spunk, warmth, and red hair recalling the late great Dottie West - has been one of country music's most prominent female artists since her self-titled debut in 1996. With her initial hits "Heads Carolina, Tails California" and "You're Not In Kansas Anymore," it appeared that Jo Dee would devote herself musically to our fifty nifty United States. Thankfully, that wasn't the case.
Jo Dee's subsequent release, 1998's I'M ALRIGHT, brought her stardom with a lot of rowdy, catchy hits such as the title track, "Bye Bye," and her Dottie West remake "Lesson In Leavin'" as well as the stirring ballad "Because You Love Me" and the mid-paced declaration "Stand Beside Me." 2000's BURN was almost as successful, but a lot softer, the rollicking "That's The Way" off-set by the power ballads "Burn" and "Downtime," plus the yearn-filled duet with Tim McGraw, "Bring On The Rain."
This Greatest Hits contains all of the aforementioned hits plus four new recordings. These new tracks, including leadoff single "Was That My Life" and its follow-up "I Wish" are reflective and/or optimistic odes of a gentle variety. The collection's sequencing is a bit odd, with several uptempo tracks in a row dominating the first half of the lineup, followed mostly by ballads. Mixing them up better would have made the cd far more enjoyable to listen to, since each individual recording is first-rate.
on August 1, 2004
Jo Dee Messina is not hard-core or outlaw country. And hey, I like examples of those types of music in small quantities. But they're hard to take in larger doses. Jo Dee isn't. This album is almost pop-country, which means that purists will sniff their noses at it, but most people will enjoy it, or at least not be annoyed by it. It probably helps that even when she's singing about broken love (a country pre-requisite), she's bouncily facing the optimistic future rather than dwelling on the bleak past like too many other country songs.

This probably all sounds like very faint praise, but it really isn't. There just aren't many albums, especially country, I can listen to in their entirety, without skipping tracks. This is one I can. It has some great songs and all the rest are at least good songs.
on June 5, 2004
Jo Dee Messina's Greatest Hits cd is very good. Here is how I rate each song on the album:
1) Was That My Life- good song that talks about how fast the years go by. (5 stars)
2) I'm Alright- one of Jo Dee's greatest songs... I love it. (5 stars)
3) Heads Carolina, Tails California- an awesome uptempo song... another favorite of mine. (5 stars)
4)Bye-Bye- Jo Dee talking about saying good bye to love. good song. (5 stars)
5) Stand Beside Me- interesting song...not bad (4 stars)
6) Bring on the Rain- GREAT song.... and the fact that Tim McGraw is in harmony vocals of this song makes it better. (5 stars)
7) Lesson In Leavin'- Not too crazy about this one. OK song. (3 stars)
8) That's the Way- good song. (4 stars)
9) Burn- LOVE this song... the first song that introduced me to Jo Dee. (5 stars)
10) Downtime- great song written by Carolyn Dawn Johnson and it talks about going through a little downtime. (5 stars)
11) Because You Love Me- slow song...another average song on the album. (3 stars)
12) You're Not In Kansas Anymore- My ALL TIME FAVORITE Jo Dee Messina song ever!!!!!! (6 stars!!!!!!!)
13) Wishing Well- new song... but an awesome one. (5 stars)
14) You Belong In the Sun- this is such a fun song... nobody could cut it better than Jo Dee. (5 stars)
15) I Wish- Jo Dee's latest single... a good song about prosperous future wishes after a failing relationship. (5 stars)
An overall great album featuring Jo Dee Messina's Greatest Hits and 4 new hits.
VINE VOICEon July 18, 2003
I'm kind of worried that Jo Dee's record label put out a Greatest Hits package and not a full-length new CD, it has been three years since Burn came out. "Was That My Life" is a great new song and the other three 'new' songs are good too, even though one of them is an older song that missed the cut for a previous CD. All of Jo Dee's songs are lots of fun to sing along with and the video for "Bring on the Rain" is also on the CD. This is a great CD for a new Messina fan, but I recommend getting all three of her CDs because the songs not included on this CD are just as good.
on May 29, 2014
This is a great CD and it was priced good enough for me to buy. The CD was in good condition and all of the tracks work perfectly. The CD also shipped and arrived very quickly. I would buy from again.
on July 6, 2013
Drove from Florida up to New Hampshire and needed some new songs - fun songs, get you going songs and songs with a message as I was moving from some sad memories to new and happier memories in the making! Jo Dee's cd hit every one of those needs! I am so glad it arrived on time and so I could bring it along. this was a good price for a GREAT cd.
on April 24, 2013
I love Amazon's program that allows you to purchase songs. I'm a huge country music fan and Jo Dee Messina is one of my favorites. Great voice, great range, awesome songs. I don't think there's a song on this CD that I don't like.
on May 26, 2003
Jo Dee Messina has broken several records on the country music charts! She has developed such a great cataloge of hits in a very short time period. I feel it may have been a bit early for a greatest hits complilation but Curb Records must have thought it was time; they shelved her finished studio album in favor of this compliation.
However if you are fan of Jo Dee's this compliation is for you. You do get all her great hits. The highlights include her biggest hit "Bring on the Rain". The songs is so haunting yet so uplifting; the vocal performance is perhaps her best ever. Another notable ballad is her song "Beacuse you loved me".
But Jo Dee is known for her strong uplifting, uptempo tunes; we get her best in this collection.
Her first hit "Heads Carolina Tails California" is one of the best country songs of the 1990's; as is her huge hit "Bye Bye".
Other greats are "Im Alrite" and "Thats the way".
We get four new songs on here (only "Was that my life" is actually new; the others were previously recorded but never made her previous albums). Since the songs were technically "leftovers" they are not Jo Dee's best, but they are still good songs. "Was that my Life" is really a great medtempo song and it is a nice departure for Jo Dee and her style.
Looked at as just a greatest hits package, this album does really work. Any general fan who does not on the original albums; this album is for you!
on November 23, 2015
Jo Dee Messina's Greatest Hits - you know, I buy greatest hits cds and then I wonder why, I could create my own mix and end up with the same thing and I could put my favs on it, like I'm Alright's version of Silver thunderbird. I think this greatest hits does a good job of getting together Jo Dee's songs. I know you can't please everyone all the time, but this compilation comes close. Looking forward to G hits II.
on January 16, 2013
I bought this after getting a free download from some household product, and thought was a decent singer, so I bought her (this) Greatest Hits CD from W@lmart, and just as the back shows 16-tracks, the 16th is a video, GREAT....BUT!!!! THE VIDEO IS NOT IN THE PRESSING! This review is getting 1 Star since I bought 98% of something that cost me 100% Price. So, I e-mail CURB Records and voice my frustration, let's see what they say. (If they respond I'll update this with what they say) As of now this is a 100% F-up on Curb Records QA Dept.

As for the Music....it's a solid 4Stars! ... For a Country singer who turned alcoholic and washed up her career before it took off...not bad, but.....to bad the industry got the best of her first.

Bye for now....I hope to update this soon...(it's 01-16-2013)

UPDATE.....Feb 15th, So after contacting the Record company, they were very responsive to my bad-CD, they tried to send me the Good-CD but they were Out, so they sent my Tim McGraws 3CD Greatest Hits Collection, which I thought was very Generous...THANK YOU CURB RECORDS! So I updated the Ratings based on the Resolution, as for the video not present...Thnx Utube! No loss there or here!