Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Greatest Moments in Sports: Upsets and Underdogs Hardcover – September 1, 2012
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From School Library Journal
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top Customer Reviews
Thus far, we've read the US Women's soccer, Miracle on Ice, Secretariat, and David Tyree's catch. Each time, we've listened to the CD audio clip and then gone on to the computer and watched various videos/highlights of each event.
- My son now has ingrained in his head that the Preakness will always run around his birthday and is held in the city where a friend of his just moved to and he now wants to go to it! Tremendous.
- My son now understands that when a team is supposed to lose, but wins, it is called an UPSET. Priceless.
I highly recommend this book to any parent who enjoys bonding with their child (while educating him/her about some of the greatest sports moments, figures, and teams of all time.
Lastly, I am also purchasing a bunch to give to clients as holiday presents - nothing better than to give a gift that will keep on giving - and hopefully they'll think of me occassionally!
First, it will allow the budding sports enthusiast to read about some of the greatest feats in all of the sporting world. Baseball, football, tennis, hockey, basketball, Olympics, and more are covered in the volume. The information is far too general to appeal to the more seasoned sports fan, but for the beginner it is perfect.
Also, in order to grab those young imaginations even further, a CD is included that allows you to listen to some of the events actually taking place. About 10 of the events described in the book are on the CD in their original broadcast form, which brings the excitement to life just that much more.
Basically, if your young sports fan is already watching Sportscenter and reading history books, skip this effort because it is too simple/general. However, if the youngster is just beginning to tune into the magic of sports, you can't go wrong with "The Greatest Moments In Sports"!
* Michael Phelps ~ Follow him as he goes for the gold as he swims in the Olympics.
* Babe Ruth ~ Did he really call the shot in his last World Series game or was that simply a myth?
* The `69 Miracle Mets ~ Was the black cat that ambles onto the field good or bad luck for them in 1969?
* Hank Aaron ~ Hank was determined to hit home run number 715 and outdo the Babe. Read and listen about that day.
* Wayne Gretzky ~ Read about his record breaking backhanded goal and learn who his greatest hero was.
* Nadia Comaneci ~ Learn how the little girl doing cartwheels on the playground was discovered by Bela Karolyi. Did you ever hear of a "perfect 10?"
* Jesse Owens ~ Read about the young man who wasn't welcome on the local track team, but was a star at "Hitler's Olympics."
* Arthur Ashe ~ Discover a man who was not only one of the greatest tennis players ever, but was also a "truly special human being."
* Billy Jean and Bobbie ~ Find out about how a wild `n wacky guy challenged "the best female tennis player in the world."
* "The Greatest Game Ever Played" ~ An "imperfect game" can also be one of the greatest.Read more ›
The pictures chosen were perfect, the stories were just told as stories, and not in an elitist "you should know this to call yourself a sport fan" way. While there were a lot of stats given, for sports newbies, they were presented in an easy to understand manner. For those that like to collect stats, all the info is neatly presented.
My son loved/s this book. It's fun, colorful, and full of imagery. Most importantly, this book isn't written for boys. It's written for kids (although to be honest, I enjoyed it just as much). There are so many sports covered in the book, that your child is sure to find one that he will become obsessed with and make you read to them over and over.
The CD that is included with this book is also great. After you read the stories, you can pop in the CD and listen to the first hand accounts of what you just read. That alone is worth it. Having a sports themed party? This is the perfect goody-bag book!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I enjoyed reviewing the literature by Len Berman, however I did not agree with all his selections, or lack thereof.Published on April 1, 2014 by DJDC
This was a gift to my son-in-law. He was thrilled to receive it and looking forward to playing the CD that came with it..Published on December 28, 2013 by Jan Washburn
Funny & some amazing stories in the world of sports. If you like sports, the facts are worth reading. This was a good book and easy to read.Published on October 20, 2013 by Carolyn Sauer
I FIND ALL THE PRODUCTS I ORDER FROM AMAZON A GREAT BUY AND VERY WELL SATISFIED WITH THEM.
THIS PARTICULAR PRODUCT MY SISTER ASKED ME TO ORDER FOR HER AS SHE DOES NOT HAVE A... Read more
Good book, good information. Was purchased as a gift and recieved quickly and was liked. No issues, would recommend itPublished on February 16, 2013 by Denise
I bought this book for 2 friends who are sports nuts and are extremely hard to buy for. They both loved it!Published on January 11, 2013 by Grandmother of 6
Hard to buy books for today's teens, but my grandson loved it. Can pick it up, read a bit and put it down. Keeps it by his bed!Published on January 9, 2013 by Joan P. Miller