BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

The Greatest White Trash Love Story Ever Told
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 17, 2010
This book was selected to be read by our book club, almost entirely based on the somewhat entertaining title. This is a terrible method for picking books, as you occasionally end up with amazingly bad books, like this one.

From the very beginning, it is obvious that the author of this book has absolutely no talent for storytelling. We are introduced to the main characters through one of the most awkward, and annoying use of a narrator that I've ever encountered. The narrator is a future version of one of the main characters, who speaks directly to the reader in 2nd person, with the majority of the action actually taking place in 3rd person. The switch between perspectives is jarring and disjointed, pulling the reader out of the story.

Absolutely none of the characters have any redeeming value whatsoever. Each and every one of them is absurdly stupid, or insanely mean. They are 2 dimensional caricatures, with absolutely no depth, and inherently unlikable. I found myself unable to root for any of them, and constantly wondered how any of them could realistically be friends with one another.

The most disappointing part of the book is that there isn't actually a love story. There are instances of unhealthy obsession that the author might mistake for love, but certainly isn't presented in that way to the reader. I never thought that any of the characters felt anything resembling love for one another. This book was not only not the "Greatest White Trash Love Story Ever Told," it's not even a love story.

The writing itself is also fairly poor. I have a suspicion that the author may be mentally challenged, so I don't want to harp on it too much. However, this book makes the Twilight series look like Shakespeare in comparison. If I did not know that the author was a middle-aged man, I would have expected this to be written by a 14 year old girl.

After finishing the book, our book club rated this a 0.2 out of 5. Not only was it the first time any one of us gave a book less than a 2, but 7 of us rated it a 0. The only redeeming quality is that it's short, so not too many trees were killed to print this trash.
on January 16, 2011
No waste of words here except to say: Skip this one. It's sad and silly, start to finish. Indeed a great white trash love story; I put this paperback in the recycle bin.
on March 21, 2015
Funny and true for some people! It was short and not an indepth book, but I enjoyed it.
on June 5, 2008
The primary story is narrated by Angel Bonsecour (not Benny...as stated in another review), a girl who grew up with Terra Peoples, the prettiest and biggest bully in school, and Benny Carpenter, the nicest happy-go-lucky fella in the world. Benny loves Terra; Terra hates Benny. This story is about what happens when "profound inner complexity" locks horns with "plain old white trash craziness."

Angel is in a platonic triangle between the two, but the love is still there. There are very subtle religious undertones of redemption and forgiveness, but they accentuate the story instead of obstruct it.

Benny is really the star of the The Greatest White Trash Love Story Ever Told. We are held in suspense when his perennial good nature and instinctive sense of decency are repeatedly put to the test by the girl he unrequittedly loves. Days after completing the book, I thought about the possibility of attaining this blessed disposition.

There are two short stories included in this book. A WAR STORY - a tale of two feuding neighbors whose grievances escalate to biblical proportions. The story is told from opposing sides, generating a delicious colloquial rhythm that tightens as an eye is demanded for an eye. THE KEY TO THE CITY is the strongest piece, expertly combining an Ibsenian tale (townspeople who can't "see"), with a morality tale, and metaphysics...all in 16 pages.

I picked up this book to be entertained, but like the two bonuses, it also impressed me and made me think.
on July 26, 2008
Oh my gosh! If it weren't for the humorous style of this story, the tragedy would totally overwhelm a person. (Not to give away anything, but despite ourselves, human beings are pretty wonderful creatures.) I actually laughed out loud - which sounds a little scary - but it's all Rhett Ellis' fault. (He made me tear up a little too.) Good book.
on June 10, 2008
Terra Peoples is the schoolyard beauty...she is also a mean-spirited bully who knows how to get what she wants!
When Benny Carpenter first lays his eyes on Terra Peoples....it's love at first sight and he's a goner!

A quick and delightfully surprising novel of sassy originality!

This story will resonate long after the shocking ending.
What do we know about true love and where can one find it ?

Rhett Ellis is a natural born story teller and this quirky little read will have you laughing and crying intermittently!
on August 16, 2009
I ordered this book because I stumbled across it on Amazon, and the reviews made it sound interesting.
It's my policy (Ingrained in me by my parents)to always finish a book I've started, and so I did. Hoping that the end would justify the rest of the meandering and uninteresting story.

Well, the end was just as insipid as the beginning. If you want to buy this book I have a FREE copy you can have if you pay the postage. But, don't say I didn't warn you.
on February 24, 2013
this was a good book, I was surprised, It is funny but has a nice moral lesson in each story.
on June 13, 2007
I wasn't sure what to expect after I ordered this book, but I was completely surprised. It's a long "short" story but packs a lot into its pages. The story is told from Benny's perspective and follows his love of Terra, the trashiest girl in town. From childhood to adulthood, Benny loves her, even when she's cruel. Ellis develops the story nicely and the book has a nice Southern tone to it. He also works in the idea of love as redemption.
Now, about the ending, I gasped out loud and almost threw the book down--but then I read the last few pages and was completely satisfied. Excellent book.
on January 29, 2008
The title itself is one of the most intriguing I have seen. I read the book not knowing what to expect and found it to be unique in every way. It is written in the straightforward manner of a saga. The style is direct and powerful. While it is funny in parts, it is not primarily a comedy. It is about a rugged love in the white ghetto. I found myself laughing and crying. Terra Peoples, the main female character, has got to be the meanest, coldest character ever. That the kindest man in the trailer park has fallen under spell is like a cosmic practical joke. What can come of it? The story goes in an unexpected route and leaves one satisfied.